Search results

  1. S

    Post your flower pics

    Simple and beautiful. Just caught my eye today.
  2. S

    Post Your Black and Whites Photos!!

    McCaa's Tavern in Camden, SC, built late 1700's.
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Sometimes railroad towers aren't "towers". Here's NA Tower at Martinsburg, WV taken 04/02/1989. Several years ago the structure was still there, but no longer supporting tower functions. Oh, all of these pictures were taken with my trusty old Nikon N2020 on Kodachrome with Nikkor glass. I...
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you Ron. That's a beautiful depot and some nice shots. Just east of Oakland on the Cumberland Division stood PK Tower at Mountain Lake Park, MD. I'm not sure if it still stands or not. I took this 20 Years ago almost to the day - October 15, 1995!
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Of historic note is Zoo Tower in Philadelphia, PA as shot from the dutch door of a train I was riding in July 1985. It's the largest tower in North America and was named Zoo because of its location adjacent to the Philadelphia Zoo. Built in 1935 and at its peak, had a 227 lever machine to...
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Speaking of models, I shot this (low rez scan) photo of MD Cabin at Meadow Creek, WV in April 1988. Those beautiful train order semaphore signals are from another era too. MD is gone now, but happily a model railroad kit has been produced of it! See link below. B.T.S. Special Projects -...
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    This is a former New York, New Haven & Hartford tower in Rye, NY taken 11/1998 in very derelict shape. The NYNH&H liked pagoda roofs. As I remember, the tower was accessed off the shoulder of the Interstate highway. Exit in a cloud of dust and re-enter the same way.
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Yes, I think it is! I like your capture a bunch. In a moment of serendipity, I found Nova. My wife and I found A Cabin at Alleghany, VA (the C&O spelled it with an 'A' and called their towers Cabins) in the same fashion, deep in the mountains near the Eastern Continental Divide. Built...
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    TY Tower in Tuscola, IL - 10/21/1990. Razed 1994.
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I shot a handful of other Ohio towers on the same trip. More low-rez scans: Berea, OH. BE Tower, still stands I think: Marion, OH. This tower has been preserved, but on the ground: Nova, OH. Razed 2013:
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Great shots Ted! I think the locomotives are ex-Canadian National, built in the '50s. If they still have their original engines intact, they must sound wonderful, turbochargers and all. This particular engine (Alco 251) found its way into a lot of marine applications as well. Thanks for...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    CSX Train Q463 at Weddell, SC. I continue on my mission to shoot CSX trains before the vintage Seaboard signals are replaced. Note too the li'l dwarf signal (that's actually what they call 'em) in shadow to the left of the locomotive. It's duty is to guard the siding. The tall mast signal...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Let me try this again ..... I did catch a coal train at Union Point, GA:
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    An old steam locomotive coaling tower and depot survive in Social Circle, GA. Former Georgia Railroad, now CSX. I waited a spell for a train, but without any luck.
  15. S

    Post Your Coffee Mug

    From the gift shop atop Lookout Mountain's Incline Railway in Chattanooga, TN comes this slanted coffee mug. I guess if you were to use it aboard the train, all would be normal. :rolleyes:
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Another shot from today in an attempt to get a few more photographs of old classic Seaboard railroad signals as seen to the right. These are rapidly being replaced by CSX. I wish I could find a spot where the red signal light could be seen better. I took this one last week. You can see one...
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Grab shot from today of a (smoky) NS crude oil train. I didn't have much time to set up and would have otherwise caught the lead unit in the light several cars back.
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out this morning to find a train, but abandoned my spot trackside after a very long wait. You guessed what happened next. After walking 1/2 mile back to my truck, an airhorn sounded and I ran like mad to get back. Just made it with 15 seconds to spare! No. 7676 needs a bath.
  19. S

    Insects with non macro lenses

    A Katydid (Pterophylla camellifolia) as shot by my wife last weekend with her Nikon Coolpix P100. They emit a sort of chirp and man, they're NOISY at night. They usually keep at it en masse until about 3AM when they knock off and go to sleep.
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out in search of the Blue Ridge Southern today with my D5100 and came home with these. First off a rural bridge in East Canton, NC: Then arriving at NS's Asheville, NC Yard: Then passing a cornfield at Candler, NC on the afternoon return trip:
Top