Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    CSX Train Q464 at Camden, SC today. The light was overcast. These age-old signals will soon be replaced, so I wanted to get some shots before they're gone.
  2. S

    Continuous Shooting (Burst) Mode Question

    I was out taking pictures today, shooting in Continuous (Burst) Mode on my D5100 and for the first time ever, my camera stopped shooting for a moment to digest the pictures in the buffer. This has never happened before. I've used a 32MB Class 10 Sandisk SD card forever and shoot in...
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Late Sunday afternoon, CSX Q463 passes the depot at Lugoff, SC. Nice to see a standing depot, especially one still used by the railroad.
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Out in yesterday's summer heat. Found NS 156 headed north and ran like heck to grab this shot off a highway bridge at Ridgeway, SC. Barely had time to swap lenses and make my settings -- shot at 1/800 which was more than sufficient!
  5. S

    Food shots

    My Mom's 88th birthday cake, as decorated by my kid. I turned off the flash and I like the result. 1/40th @ f 3.5. We had to buy another '8' this year. ;)
  6. S

    Food shots

    Flabby bread from the breadmaking machine:
  7. S

    Let's see some reptiles...

    Walked out to get the newspaper this morning and found this small fellow on the sidewalk:
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out in search of the Blue Ridge Southern today in western North Carolina (USA) and returned with these:
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught NS Train 156 headed to Charlotte, NC today. I was hoping for its southbound counterpart 155 for another shot I have in mind, but no luck. Anyway, it was nice to see something on the move. I see some sort of green light flare appeared adjacent to the left ditch light. I try to avoid...
  10. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    At yesterday's car show:
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Fortune smiled this morning when my Norfolk Southern Lehigh Valley Railroad "Heritage" locomotive boomeranged back into town after working in Georgia. I can add these pictures to my burgeoning collection on Heritage units in trail (i.e. not leading the train), but I'm very happy to have seen it...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Sometimes the stars don't align. NS's Lehigh Valley "Heritage" locomotive rolled in and found a home deep in the engine terminal under overcast skies. Wanting to stay safe and to show respect for railroad property, I didn't trespass to get a better shot from the other side. I'm hoping that...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Finally found some trains after a long drought. Train time at Lugoff, SC: Blue Ridge Southern entering Norfolk Southern's mainline at Murphy Junction, NC: Blue Ridge Southern cruising through the arts district in Ashville, NC: Blue Ridge Southern headed home across the French Broad...
  14. S

    Shutter Speed Question

    I went for a walk with the family this evening as darkness encroached. I set my D5100 to 'S' wanting to stop the action as best I could, but 1/30 was the fastest I could do. Several minutes later at a different location with perhaps better light, I switched to Auto and found myself able to...
  15. S

    Post your flower pics

    Mother's Day flower arrangement. Looks like I lifted it from a greeting card. :)
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    The train drought continues. Spent 4 Hours several hours from home waiting at a spot with great composition and not one train passed by in either direction. :emptiness: To pass the time, I shot a rail joint. Trivia: The nuts are alternated from side to side for safety. If a derailment...
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    The Brasso conversation about the li'l Rio Grande locomotive was funny! Thank you. I haven't been able to get out to take pictures lately, finding only these three units the other day lined up "elephant style". All three of these locomotives are over 35 years old, rebuilt and repainted, and...
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught a few photos of the new Blue Ridge Southern railroad at Asheville, NC today. This is a new operation, having recently bought a Norfolk Southern branchline. The light wasn't all that great, but I was pleased to have been there. Those vintage locomotives sounded great on the last shot...
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    It dawned bright and sunny, so I again went out to seek elusive perfectly-lit southbound Train 157 and once again poorly-lit northbound Train 156 showed up. Sigh. I think NS hides 157 until I'm not around. ;) So anyway, here's another backlit shot of 156 snickering as she passes by:
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught NS Train 156 [Savannah, GA => Linwood, NC] this morning at Killian, SC. The light was perfect for a southbound, but instead this northbound showed up. The shot turned out okay though and is only slightly backlit. This is a north <=> south railroad, so the lighting prefers southbounds...
Top