Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Within the hour, the rail supported the passage of yet another train.
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Rail. This weighs 115 LBS per yard and was rolled in May 1965. I think it was rolled in Ensley, Alabama, the Tennessee being the steel mill's heritage, once owned by Tennessee Coal & iron, later U.S. Steel.
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken today in overcast, this was one of those park-and-run-like-heck shots. I knew the spot; I made it by ten seconds. There's an obnoxious power pole behind the locomotives, so I crouched low to block it out. If I were to have stood on the other side of the tracks for better light, a...
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    April 5, 1989 west of Altoona, PA at remote MG (Middle Grade) Tower on the former Pennsylvania Railroad's storied east slope, a Conrail freight claws for traction on the Alleghenies in the pouring rain. Taken in the pre-Internet era, this shot took a lot of uncertain hiking to locate. Thank...
  5. S

    Post your favorite or best shot you took in 2015.

    My D5100 sometimes seeks out subjects other than trains. I took this in October, a Camellia Sasanqua in colorful bloom. The image recently appeared in our neighborhood newsletter.
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Amtrak's Silver Star hit an SUV that had been driven down the tracks, killing the vehicle driver. Train crew and passengers weren't affected and the locomotive had only minor pilot damage, but the choice was made to bring a CSX locomotive to the rescue. The incident bottled up the mainline...
  7. S

    happy with new tripod

    This Alaskan polar bear seems happy with his choice too. :D (Not my photo!)
  8. S

    River, Lake, Streams, Seas, & Oceans

    From yesterdays walk:
  9. S

    Post your Tree Photos !

    From yesterday's walk:
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A Christmas-y winter shot at Welch, WV in March 1995 [Nikon N2020, K-64 Film]
  11. S

    Post your fisheye images

    Kid with Nikkor 8mm Fisheye!
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Another "end of the line" shot, with a look at something a bit more substantial than a post. Tho a heavy railcar is going to do whatever it wants to at rail's end. :D
  13. S

    Post your Clocks, Watches, and Timepieces.

    My Hamilton 992 railroad watch, as made in Lancaster, PA about 80 years ago I think. Keeps pretty good time; wear it almost every day. It's getting hard finding watchsmiths who are experienced in working with these. Railroad watches sport dials which are extremely easy to read and are "lever...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    NS at Big Four, WV, 02/22/1998:
  15. S

    Here, then gone

    Had the same event occur with this photo, taken of a warming oven adjacent to my Mom's fireplace. The sun was setting and burst through the day's gray overcast for only a brief moment and was gone. I didn't have time to study the composition, so made a few exposures and hoped for the best.
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    ...... and a few more found their way into my lens. It was a beautiful day and it felt good to be out.
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out yesterday in search of trains and found these around Florence, SC on CSX, former Atlantic Coast Line main.
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    The fine looking turreted depot in Union, SC still stands. The late afternoon light and moon caught my eye here.
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Yesterday in Spartanburg, SC. The sun was in a good spot when I arrived, but hours later when the train pulled by, Mr. Sun had everything backllit. Oh well, at least I saw something go past. No shortage of horsepower here!
  20. S

    Post your flower pics

    The Camellia Sasanqua is blooming in our yard. I don't know anything about plants, but I find it interesting that it blooms in mid-October. The bees are loving it.
Top