Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's a scan of my 35mm slide of the Illinois Central Railroad's interlocking tower (a "signal box" on British railways) at Tuscola, IL USA as taken on October 21, 1990. Manned interlocking towers have become extremely rare in North America, as remote control technology has largely displaced...
  2. S

    Post YOUR rides

    My first car. Bought new -- a 1980 Honda Accord LX 5-Speed. Put something over 200,000 Miles on the clock and took me everywhere. It became a jalopy late in it's life, but getting behind the wheel was like putting on a comfy old pair of jeans and it hooked me on manual transmissions for a...
  3. S

    post your aviation shots!

    From Chicago's (USA) awesome Museum of Science & Industry, two beautiful examples of WW-II aircraft -- a German Junkers Ju-87R-2 Stuka and a British Supermarine Mark 1A Spitfire. Taken by my wife with her Nikon CoolpixP100. I'll put my faith in the Spitfire in a dogfight!
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Graffiti makes me cringe; I think it a symbol of social decay. When I look at my slides from 30 years ago, it was rare to see such vandalism. Freight trains looked handsome and even prized old equipment could be preserved on film just as it had been painted decades prior. Today, the only...
  5. S

    Dropping Keystrokes

    Has anyone experienced the website dropping keystrokes? As I type, characters are often randomly omitted as if I didn't press a key. Just began today. I run Norton 360 and IE 11. Thank you.
  6. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    From this morning's walk around the VW dealer lot. I'd love to own a GTI someday, but factors conspire to delay a purchase for many years. I can always dream ....
  7. S

    Boats Anyone

    The Pennsylvania Railroad's ferry Maryland, built 1907 and photographed sometime in the late 1930s by my Grandfather on Kodachrome slide film. The ferry served to link Old Point Comfort (near Hampton, VA) and Cape Charles, VA on the eastern shore of the Virginia Peninsula. I revere...
  8. S

    Boats Anyone

    Lightship off Barnegat, NJ shot in 1964 by my Dad. She was built in 1904, decommissioned in 1967 and, amazingly, survives today in Camden, NJ.
  9. S

    Boats Anyone

    A lowly and lonesome canoe .....
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Arrrgh! :( I caught up with Norfolk Southern's Central of Georgia "Hertiage Locomotive" and although it was in a safe spot to photograph, the lighting and placement of the unit made for an impossibly difficult shot. Oh, and a phone pole was thrown in for good measure. Such is life in taking...
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot this today in Dillon, SC of a southbound CSX local. Back in the golden era, the Seaboard Air Line Railroad crossed the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad just north of here, but these days it's all CSX and this track is used to run trains between the huge former SAL yard in Hamlet, NC and the...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Several minutes later I caught up with the train entering the yard and got a "going away" shot to show the Heritage units a bit better. I was blessed with good light today.
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught up with two more of Norfolk Southern's "Heritage" locomotives today in Columbia, SC. It's hard to find these, let alone two on the same train. Imagine my chagrin to find that both special locomotives were trailing! It's okay though; I am happy to have seen them.
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out today to test my D5100 with its new shutter mechanism and regain my confidence with it. Caught CSX Train 463 at McBee (pronounced MAC-bee), SC at the south end of the siding. All seems well with the camera. Even after two years of ownership, it seems I learn something new each time...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    We're in Erwin, TN in May of 1979 and a Clinchfield Railroad SD-40 is fixin' to ride the transfer table at the shop. The Clinchfield is now owned by CSX. The road extended between Spartanburg, SC and Elkhorn City, KY. It was completed in 1915, so was highly engineered through difficult...
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    It's July 1984 and we're at Schnieder, IN watching a meet of two Conrail trains. [Nikon N2020, 50mm Nikkor, Kodachrome 64]
  17. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    A post-war jet-inspired Studebaker Commander hood ornament. A lovely work of art.
  18. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    I found this nice 1983 Charleston 2CV Citroen example at a car show in Hendersonville, NC USA today: (In the interest of full disclosure, the photo was taken by my wife with her Nikon Coolpix P100 because my D5100 is in the shop. :()
  19. S

    Food shots

    My Mom's birthday cake. Carrot cake as if you couldn't guess. :)
  20. S

    Black Band At Top Of Photos

    After two carefree and successful years with my D5100, I'm afraid I have my first problem. Starting today I have a black band appearing at the top of all of my pictures. :( I've attached a sample picture. Is my mirror getting stuck? Is this something I can fix (I'm a fairly handy guy) or is...
Top