Search results

  1. S

    Is There A "Best" Video Format To Save Family Videos?

    For Christmas my wife gave me a Diamond OneTouch Video Capture kit to convert our Beta, VHS and 8mm Videotapes to DVD. I haven't opened the package yet, but I was wondering if there's a "best" video format to covert to (such as MOV, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, FLV, etc.) or if I convert to play on a DVD...
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out today to get a shot of a CSX freight that now operates in day light hours instead of at night. I'd always wanted to take a picture of this scene with the depot and train and after 20 years, I have it. It's a light density line and this is the only daylight train running in this...
  3. S

    Attic Find - Graflex 22

    Found this Revere 22 3D Stereo Photo Viewer in Grandma's closet. It was the companion to the Revere 33 3D Stereo Camera, which is gone. You can see what the slides look like in this photo. The 3D effect is exactly like the Viewmaster us Baby Boomers might remember. I took a look at some of...
  4. S

    Attic Find - Graflex 22

    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it here. My child has a strong interest in photography and when this Graflex 22 was found in Grandma's attic this morning, there was great excitement. My D5100 knelt in respect when it took this photo: It's in rough shape, but will make a great...
  5. S

    Interesting Signs

    Puzzling signs always catch my eye. I shot this one with my D5100. If you're short on cash at a time of bereavement, this is the place to stop. :( Sandpatch
  6. S

    Reflcting Ball

    Speaking of reflections and balls, I happened upon this shot taken this summer with my D5100 and my ancient Radio Shack beach ball. It was fun trying different compositions with the shot. No HDR here, but the category fit. :-)
  7. S

    What Eactly Is Programmed Autoexposure Mode Anyway?

    Can some of y'all help me to understand what our P Mode is exactly? I've read all I can about it, but I still don't understand just what it offers. I shot this photo with my D5100 last night in a very dark setting using P Mode with no idea of what I was doing. The photo is completly unedited...
  8. S

    Happy Thanksgiving

    As if on cue, this fellow showed up in our front yard -- a wild turkey! He agreed to pose for a photo if I'd not put him on the table. :D
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot these in Asheville, NC today using my 55-200mm AF-S ED. I went in hope of getting a splendid shot of NS's Wabash Heritage unit, but as you see, it was tucked deeply within the engine terminal and I didn't want to trespass and risk injury or trouble to get a shot. I took a 200mm shot and...
  10. S

    Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Lens - Is it good with D5100 Model ?

    I took these shots with old my 50mm f/1.8 at a car show today, one close up and one far away. I should add that I took a bazillion shots over 25 years with this lens on my SLR. The focus action now feels a tiny bit "loose", but it still takes a clear photo without a problem.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot these yesterday in Columbia, SC on another beautiful day. There's one "diamond" crossing in Columbia to allow CSX trains to cross the NS.
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    This is why we should stay well clear of tracks while taking photos. These derailed tank cars remain lineside as evidence of an earlier derailment. Even loose steel strapping on a passing freight car can cut you to ribbons if you stand too close. This is a pusher locomotive helping a fast...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot this rather dull eastbound today in Cramerton, NC just west of Charlotte: Didn't see much else during the day. Lovely weather, but not many trains. I shoot all my train photos in Shutter Priority Mode to assure a higher shutter speed and a sharp photo.
  14. S

    Continuous Shooting Mode and Metering Question

    I have a question about Continuous shooting mode. Does the D5100 continue to automatically meter my shots (assuming its in Auto mode) while I shoot in Continuous mode? I enoy shooting train pictures and being an "old skool" 35mm guy, I'm used to waiting until the perfect moment before tripping...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's CSX at Orlando, KY on 03/23/1996 at a nifty spot. Tunnels are great locations and are especially good when trains are working hard and they emerge from the portal with a rolling plume of thick exhaust. No such luck this day. Nikon 2020, 50mm, Kodachrome 64.
  16. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Struck by the matching colors and notably different sizes, I took this shot from my apartment window in September 1981 with my Nikon EL-2 and 50mm Lens on Kodachrome 64 film. Sorry abput the poor scan quality. I guess each generation in the U.S. is doomed to learn that big vehicles burn large...
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's one I shot in Mountainair, NM in the mid-1990's. Mountainair is the summit on the Santa Fe's "Transcon" mainline at 6500 FT. Nikon N2020/Nikkor 85-200mm/Kodachrome 64.
  18. S

    Old AF micro Nikkor 55mm on a D3100

    I have a very old Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro Lens with the M2 Ring that dates from the 70's. It mounts up fine on my D5100 and I guess it'd mount on the D3100 too. The lens offers no AF nor any Auto aperature with my D5100 -- it's all manual set all the way. However, with it set at f/32 and an...
  19. S

    Took Some Train Yard Photos

    Here's one shot in Catawba, South Carolina. I was fortunate to get this, as I absent-mindedly left the camera on the Auto setting instead of Shutter Priority to adjust my settings and gain a faster shutter speed. I like shooting trains at 1/500 to be sure there will be no blur. Live and...
  20. S

    Took Some Train Yard Photos

    Train shot with slight telephoto in Kentucky: I think train photography has a lot in common with nature photography. You have to find a nice spot and have a LOT of patience to wait until something happens. Meanwhile the angle of the sun is changing, the family is complaining and people...
Top