Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Well, I finally struck paydirt and bagged NS's Virginian "Heritage" unit this afternoon! Yippee! It's eluded my lens for over a week now, but I finally got my chance and made the most of it. The unit was spotted on the most photogenic track in the engine terminal and also the very safest for...
  2. S

    Post Your Black and Whites Photos!!

    This was shot in about 1976 inside the E.J.& E. railroad interlocking tower in Barrington, IL. Levers like these controlled the interlocking plant signals and switches at the junction and they were once a common sight at thousands of towers. They were nicknamed "Armstrong" plants because the...
  3. S

    Post Your Black and Whites Photos!!

    Shot in 1976 in Hopewell, NJ on Plus X film, Nikkormat FTn, 50mm Lens. I shot everything in black and white back then, as color was beyond my budget!
  4. S

    Ogden, UT - Looking through time.

    Really nice shots Moab Man. Utah is one of many western states that I hope to visit someday. I love the old painted billboards. I shot this one in Radford, VA last week.
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    This is a favorite spot that time has forgot -- Balcony Falls, VA on the former C&O main, complete with a vintage depot and coaling tower. Unfortunately no train came along during our brief stop.
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Another westound at Harpers Ferry, WV, but on the bridge over the Potomac and in the overcast. Looks like that lead unit needs some paint.
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot this westbound yesterday on the former B&O main at Harpers Ferry, WV. A mintue beforehand I had a nice empty platform!
  8. S

    Fun with Fisheyes

    I shot this with my Dad's early-70s era Nikkor 8mm f.2.8 Fisheye mounted to my N2020. It was converted to AI by Nikon. It was a high quality lens with five buil-in colored filters and it worked great, but it weighed a ton and I rarely carried it anywhere. I sold it to raise money to purchase...
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    This is another favorite shot that evokes happy memories: It was taken in Bethlehem, PA in the early '80s in the evening after a day of railfanning with good friends. The train was barely rolling, so timing wasn't critical. The train is crossing over the Lehigh River from the former Jersey...
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's one of my favorite photos, taken in the mid-90s at Mountainair, NM at the summit of the Santa Fe's Belen Cutoff on their mainline. Kodachrome 64, Nikon N2020, 80-200mm Nikkor Zoom.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's one taken at Melrose, NC in 1986 on what was the steepest standard gauge railroad grade in the U.S. on Saluda Mountain in western NC. Nikon N2020 on K-64. Again, sorry about the lousy scan quality. You can see a portion of the grade in this photo. I'm standing on the "escape track"...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Note sure if I should post this one or not, but it caught my eye nearly 20 years ago and I just had to take it. Nikon N2020.
  13. S

    Old mechanical clocks

    You've got some excellent mechanical skills there vindex1963. Very cool stuff you've been workin on! This is likely becoming a lost art. About 40 years ago the Santa Fe Rwy. had a massive corporate "garage sale" of miscellany, including vintage wall clocks from around the system. These were...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's another shot, this of a curve and coalyard on the N Scale layout.
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Do any of y'all have fun with model trains? Here's a photo of the anthracite coal breaker on my N Scale road. I scratchbuit the breaker and a late friend painted and weathered it for me.
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Took these two too. It took nearly two hours from the same train to appear -- he couldn't get his brakes pumped up, so someone had to walk the entire train to find what was wrong. Second shot was just foolin' around, handheld at 1/30 Sec.
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot some rail photos today. This one was taken from the same spot as one of the shots I posted previously,but at 160mm. This is the shot that I wanted in the first place, but my 55-20mm was in my truck instead of with me! Nice to have a second chance.
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    With the winter seaon in mind, I thought I'd post this one taken in Knoxville, TN of an Alco C-420 taken almost exactly 35 years ago to the day. L&N Alcos were everywhere in the region back then. Taken with my Nikkormat FTn and K-64. Sorry about the poor scan quality. It's a good thing that...
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's one from 1980, taken with my bulletproof Nikkormat FTn and Nikkor 50mm Lens on Kodachrome 64. Northwestern Station, Chicago, IL. Scanned on a not-so-good scanner. This beautiful terminal was razed in 1984 and replaced with the modern Ogilve Transportation Center. :mad:
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out again looking for trains this day. It was somewhat overcast, but I got this one. I like the compostion with the dispatcher's phone box and the relay bungalow with the location name upon it, but hate those phone wires. I changed my focus setting to spot, as I noticed that the camera...
Top