Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I tried to get a nice shot of the CP in Duplainville, WI last week at it's crossing with the CN, but a CP signal maintainer told me to leave. His edict was direct, but respectful. I managed to get a grab shot at a public grade crossing, but had no time to cross the tracks to the sunnier side...
  2. S

    Your Best D5100 Photos

    Took this with my kit lens, looking down into a stream in WI.
  3. S

    At my friends house

    Nice model trains! I rebuilt a troublesome industrial spur on my N Scale road a while back and shot these before and after photos. The result is much improved -- nothing "goes on the ground" anymore, railroad talk for "derailing". :)
  4. S

    Pop Up Flash Irritation

    Sometimes when I'm shooting outdoors using the Auto setting standing 30 to 40 Feet from a somewhat dark subject on a bright day, the pop up flash jumps to attention to help. It makes me jump too, as I never expect it and it hits the bill of my ball cap! I know how to defeat the flash (and I...
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Found Norfolk Southern's Erie Heritage unit in Asheville, NC this afternoon, but it was trailing. Oh well, a trailing Heritage unit is better than no Heritage unit. :) I got a "going away" shot too, which didn't turn out too badly considering. I had good light this day.
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's what's known in railfan circles as a "critter", a small industrial locomotive. Taken in Laurenburg, NC several years ago. This guy would look great in my yard. :o [Nikon N2020, 50mm Lens, Fujichrome]
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    While we are thinking of yellow and green, here's a low rez scan of C&NW Train 599 headed west at Barrington, IL past the coach yard. [Nikon EL-2, 50mm Lens, Kodachrome] 599 always carried a lot of auto parts for the Chevy plant in Janesville, WI; the plant has since closed.
  8. S

    Post Your Heavy Equipment Shots!

    That's great Rick M --an NYS&W SD-40 variant of some sort. I lived in northern NJ and abandoned NYS&W track ran past my apartment. A few years after I moved, they rebuilt the line and stack trains were then rolling past the old place. Figures, right? :( Here's an old shot taken in the...
  9. S

    D5100 Image Comment Function

    How many of you use the D5100's Image Comment function? It allows the entering of up to 36 characters, which becomes repeating metafile data on each shot until edited or switched off. I find that the "keypunching" takes a bit of time, so I've not utilized the function as designed. However, I...
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I found an old low rez scan tonight of former Lehigh Valley Railroad business car No. 353 taken in Bay Head, NJ in 1983. [Nikon EL-2, Nikkor 50mm, Kodachrome] I paid the princely sum of $50 to ride it with friends from Newark, NJ to Bay Head and return. It's VERY expensive operating these...
  11. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    These aren't classic photos, but they are automobile related. A few years ago some friends and I were looking at cars in a wrecking yard in hope of scrounging up some parts. I have a soft spot for Mitsubishis, so opened the hood on one and was looking very closely at the six-cylinder engine...
  12. S

    Post your flower pics

    Not a flower, but a pretty work of nature nonetheless:
  13. S

    Post your barns and rural structures.

    From the mountains of western North Carolina with my D5100 and 18-55 kit lens:
  14. S

    You Go East I'll Go West

    Here's a happy goat! From the mountains of North Carolina last weekend with my D5100 and 18-55mm kit lens.
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    In railroading, a "pusher" isn't someone dealing in illegal narcotics, but is instead a locomotive or locomotives at the rear of a train helping to push it up a grade with assistance from more locomotives on the front and/or midtrain. This is a gritty scene taken in 1981 at Sand Patch, PA on...
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's the crest of the hump in 1983 at the Seaboard System's Rice Yard in Waycross, GA. (Yikes -- how can it be 30 Years ago already!?) I took this from the tower where the switches and retarders are worked to direct cars to the correct track and slow cars to a safe coupling speed. I wish I...
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    That's the former Santa Fe "warbonnet" scheme, a classic look that defined the Santa Fe in the diesel era. When BNSF bought the Santa Fe, they simply painted out the Santa Fe lettering and substituted BNSF letters. Here's a low rez scan I took in in better days (1996) in Larkspur, CO. I love...
  18. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    I was at a show yesterday and failed to take even one shot of a beautiful Studebaker pickup because the owner had set up two lawn chairs and cooler in front of it and wandered off. Most owners set up behind their vehicles. I did get several nice shots of this 1951 Ford F-1, restored to stock...
  19. S

    18-55mm Kit Lens / 50mm Question

    I have a question about DX lens cropping and I hardly know how to ask it. For 40 years I shot 35mm film and recognized that a 50mm prime offered the best real life reproduction of what my eyes saw, without the "distortion" that a wide angle lens or telephoto lens brings. With my D5100 I often...
Top