Search results

  1. S

    Thoughts on Nikkor 55-200mm VR f/4-5.6 lens?

    I like mine and chose it because I often used a Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 from the late 70s until I bought my D5100 and found it perfect for my needs. I rarely need the reach of anything greater. I think this has been my most extreme shot and one of the very rare times when I could have used a wee...
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From my B&W days with Plus-X film is a Metroliner under wire at Princeton Junction, NJ on July 20, 1976.
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I have very few scanned pictures of trains under wire and they were poorly scanned long ago with tiny file sizes. Here's an example, taken in June 1981 of a renovated Pennsylvania Railroad GG-1 at Woodbridge, NJ. She was placed in regular service and roamed the lines just like any other GG-1...
  4. S

    Post your Fountains

    Savannah, GA
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Another picture in Savannah, this one at the Georgia State Railroad Museum. This nifty little 0-4-0 saddle tanker chuffs passengers around the property and is just the perfect little locomotive for the task. The museum is definitely worth a visit.
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken Saturday on River Street in Savannah, GA is this gem of a streetcar. When I first saw it, I thought to myself that it's too authentic to be a modern remake. Sure enough, it's a 1930's car from Melbourne, Australia! It's been modified to run on biodiesel, but someday they hope to string...
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Ratty-looking Georgia Central power in Savannah, GA.
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot today in Yemassee, SC between Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC on the former ACL mainline. I was shooting almost straight into the sun, so it was a bit frustrating. That phone pole has to go.
  9. S

    post your aviation shots!

    A Guiberson diesel radial aircraft engine used by the U.S. in WW-II. Originally built for aircraft use, it was adapted to use in tanks, especially those used in flamethrower service where volatile gasoline fumes could have led to trouble. Learned this today from a vet who was quite conversant...
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Norfolk Southern recently sold some of its lines in western NC to the Blue Ridge Southern a shortline. I found one of the road's locomotives in Arden, NC, formerly owned by the Union Pacific and first by the Delaware & Hudson.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From Asheville, NC again, a freight headed to Knoxville, TN starts its pull westbound.
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Shot in Asheville, NC today, a visiting Canadian Pacific locomotive. Another shot from another angle is posted in the 'Almost Photos" thread. That durned hopper car forced this alternate shot, which turned out okay I guess. Those woodchip cars are bound for a paper mill in Canton, NC.
  13. S

    Post your 'ALMOST' Photos..

    I know this thread is for wildlife, but I wanted to post this scene as taken today in Asheville, NC where my excitement over getting a photo of a visiting Canadian Pacific and Union Pacific locomotives was dashed by the irresponsible placement of a lone hopper car smack dab in the middle of the...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Found a black & white print in the closet, taken in Hudson, OH in 1977 I am guessing. Conrail was only a year old then, so locomotive consists were a dog's breakfast of the many component railroads that were merged into Conrail. Up front is a former Erie-Lackawanna EMD SD-45-2. Nikkormat FTn...
  15. S

    Your Best D5100 Photos

    Tried another image this morning in different light which I like much better. Having come from 35mm film photography about three years ago, I'm in love with digital photography's allowance for liberal experimentation. My wife remarked that I'd have never taken shots like these on Kodachrome...
  16. S

    Your Best D5100 Photos

    This isn't one of my best D5100 photos, but as photographers, we've all had those moments where we see something captivating that somehow defies a decent photograph. This is one of those examples. When I awoke this morning, I was attracted by the filtered light in the dining room, with it's...
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Today was a good day at work - I got to see a train. As part of my job, I was out in the woods near the rail connection with my employer and CSX rolled up with their local. All I had to shoot with was a li'l Canon pocket camera, but I had to chance some pictures and this one turned out okay...
  18. S

    Insects with non macro lenses

    A leaf hopper of some sort shot by my wife with her Nikon P100. She is somehow fascinated by insects. This is with no enlargement.
  19. S

    Food shots

    We gathered for my Mom's 87th Birthday and a special guest brought these frog cupcakes. My Mom and her sisters have long had a thing for frogs, so these were just perfect.
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Super neat shots of the NS 1648 Blacktop. That 11mm focal length creates a terrific perspective! This is a perfect long and lanky locomotive for you to have found. It's an SD-40-2, which a writer once said "looks like a kid wearing tennis shoes three sizes too big". ;) Here's a 3/4 view of...
Top