Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Ho hum, a common NS freight appears soon thereafter, generating a much lower heart rate. This is Train P77, a local.
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Well, I lucked out today. The S&A unit boomeranged back to Columbia and its train was late. Instead of the train's usual nighttime appearance, NS 1065 appeared in daylight and on the point! I think I'm liking this retirement thing. :D
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    NS's Savannah & Atlanta heritage unit passed through Columbia, SC today. I was fortunate to find it, as Train 337 usually arrives and departs in the wee hours. It was in trailing position and staying safe, I couldn't get real close, but I squeezed off a few shots. The last photo is 337...
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Happened upon local NS Train P85 this afternoon at Killian SC. Being a northbound, I knew the light would be bad, but I couldn't resist tripping the shutter anyway. I tried to find a location where the sun wasn't in the lens.
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Passed through Columbia, SC yesterday and things were pretty quiet. Despite the gray skies, clicked the shutter on a few locomotives taking a weekend break. The 3012 is a veteran GP-40-2 built for Conrail over 40 Years ago. The 9576 is a teenager. :)
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Found these Florida East Coast playing cards in my mother's basement over Christmas. I remember seeing them as a kid. I'm uncertain of their age, but views with automobiles look to be from the 1930s. The diesel seen on two of the cards is the FEC's E-3, Henry M. Flagler leading the train of...
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I'm not sure if I posted this photo before, but the appearance of the Lehigh Valley depot at Flemington Jct., NJ could be greatly enhanced with a few hours cleanup work with a chainsaw. In the summer, it's almost completely camouflaged. At least it still stands however and the adjoining...
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Two older NS units rest quietly with their engines shut down in Saturday's morning light.
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught an eight hour late northbound Amtrak Silver Star yesterday at a rural grade crossing. This train normally passes through at night. I knew the train would be making up time, so chose a 1/1000 Sec. shutter speed. :)
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Completed the demolition of my 30 Year Old N Scale model railroad on Friday. I have a new railroad planned and hope to get underway with it in the next few months. The new road will be nearly the same size, but with a completely different track plan and with modern track and electrical control.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I sold about half of our post-war family Lionel, but kept my favorite pieces, some track and a transformer so that I can run it if I want. It's unlikely that I'll ever have the space to set up a Lionel layout, so I have no regrets about selling what I did. Much of what I sold were the lineside...
  12. S

    Nikkor 35mm f/2 from 1970s on D5100 Success

    My brother recently sent me our Dad's Nikkor 35mm f/2 lens from the mid-1970s. It's in excellent shape and I coupled it onto my D5100 with perfect success. I'm uncertain if other camera brands allow this kind of lens adaptation that spans generations, but bless Nikon for making it possible and...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you Chuck and Merry Christmas to everyone here at our little railroad junction in Nikonites. After 30 Years, I've decided to scrap my model railroad and build a new one. As such, I'm slowly taking things down. Reminiscent of the Central Railroad of New Jersey's March 31, 1972...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Saw this signal last night in Clinton, SC that's worthy of note. It's marked CN&L for the Columbia, Newberry & Laurens Railroad, as merged into CSX over 30 Years ago and it's also a fine example of a searchlight signal. These old signals are being rapidly replaced by new types as per Federal...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you. I wish I could have seen more of those big Centuries. In 1977 Trains Magazine did a feature on The Monsters of Mingo that has some great pictures. The closest I ever came was at Hudson, OH when I took this shot, which perhaps I posted some time ago.
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's one I should name Lehigh Valley in the valley, or LVRR Overdose. :)
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Let me try this once again with a few more shots .....
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    After 30+ Years of operation, I'm thinking about dismantling my old N Scale model railroad and building a new one in the same scale. I want to document the old railroad, so mounted my Dad's 1970s-era Nikkor 55mm Macro lens to my D5100 and took these in Manual Mode at f/32 using a 1960's era 8mm...
  19. S

    July 2017 Assignment: Food

    Much too late for a July entry, but here's an eatery that caused me to wonder if my wife and I should chance it. We chose the cautious route and ate elsewhere, but we later saw this humble roadside spot doing a huge business each night.
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Also stopped at Dossett, TN on the CSX (former L&N) main west of Knoxville, but no trains were to be seen. An NS line also crosses here as seen on the bridge. The tunnel is L&N. I was last here almost 40 years ago. :cool:
Top