Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From the City of Toronto Archives collection, I found this somewhat old photo of the John Street roundhouse. It's almost as if the CP and Nikon are inviting fans to stop by. ;)
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    When I was young, Es and Fs were eternal fixtures on C&NW commuter trains. This F was captured at Mt. Prospect, IL on June 23, 1975. These photos are all scanned from old prints. I was crazy about locomotives when I was young, so I tightly cropped the prints. I'm hoping that the negatives...
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Another b&w shot from the Nikkormat FTn about 1975, this one from Deval interlocking at Des Plaines, IL where a C&NW freight makes its way north from Chicago toward Milwaukee. The train is crossing over the C&NW's triple track Harvard Subdivision, busy with commuter trains. Guess which...
  4. S

    Chicago

    It's such an architecturally varied city that it's hard to go wrong with photography most anywhere. Boat tours are also offered if you wish for skyline photos. My teen took this shot of Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) with my wife's Nikon P100.
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken today at NS's Hayne Yard in Spartanburg, SC is this CN unit a long way from home.
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From June 1975 in Skokie, IL we find the Skokie Swift, as operated by the Chicago Transit Authority. This car was part of a series built in 1959-1960. A number of these durable cars are preserved today at the Illinois Railway Museum and other locations. These were the only cars on the CTA...
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I can no longer recall exactly where I took this, but I think it was Far Hills, NJ. In any case, it's the summer of '76 and we're on the former Lackawanna Gladstone Branch headed to Hoboken and those are Lackawanna mu cars dating from 1930 which ran by the hundreds at the time. Upon...
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From September 1975, a C&NW "scoot" bangs over the EJ&E at Barrington, IL northwest of Chicago. The EJ&E-owned tower was razed in 2006.
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I think this one was from a year earlier in the summer of '75, probably with my Dad's old Kodak Retina Reflex 35mm. It was a durable camera, made in West Germany I think, with interchangeable lenses and a no-battery light meter. We're on the platform at Chicago's Union Station as an E glides past.
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Here's another one from my Plus-X days with the Nikkormat, taken at Newark, NJ, probably in the summer of '76 as a big G rolls in. The GG-1s were magnificent machines.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From October 1977 in Knoxville, TN, an L&N C-420 awaits departure from the L&N's station for a short journey to Neyland Stadium to watch the U. of Tennessee Volunteers compete on the gridiron. On football Saturdays, the L&N operated a one car hospitality train for shippers and other friends of...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken today at Enoree, SC, a CSX baretable train makes its way south.
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Seen the same day on NS is this strange visitor from another planet, a custom-rebuilt locomotive owned by Herzog to serve work trains. Herzog contracts with railroads for services such as tie replacement. My guess is that her unusual side blisters contain a double serving of diesel fuel...
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Seen last week in Chester, SC, Lancaster & Chester 6002, an EMD SD40T-2 built in May 1980 for the Southern Pacific. These were specially designed with a large cooling air intake you can see at the rear, down low along the walkway. Nicknamed "Tunnel Motors", the relocated intake brought in...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I caught up with NS's Pennsylvania Railroad "Heritage" unit this afternoon in Columbia, SC. I was thrilled to find it leading the train. The weather was overcast, but I can't complain.
  16. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    A 1959 Cadillac Coupe De Ville tail fin seen at yesterday's car show.
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Stopped by the South Carolina Railroad Museum (SCRM) yesterday and found EMD SW-8 2028 switching cars in the Rockton yard. I was told that this locomotive was built for the Army in May 1951 and sent to South Korea. At war's end, she was shipped back to the U.S. to Savannah, GA and was bought...
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    If I can catch a train moving in the other direction, this would be a much improved composition. Found this location on Sunday afternoon on a hike with my wife. This is the former Seaboard bridge over the Congaree River in Cayce, SC. The former Southern bridge is adjacent and it's active too...
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Also found this cool lunar white signal today, calling forward a local freight running at a very slow restricted speed because the Star was stopped 8-1/2 Miles ahead. I'd not seen a lunar aspect in many years and wanted to capture it.
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    The northbound Silver Star ran nine hours late today and I was able to get a picture of it at Camden, SC. I'm glad that it all came together because the Star is a night train through here in both directions and I've never seen it at Camden. During all of my zooming around, I found a new photo...
Top