Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught NS today departing Columbia, SC with a local freight, my first train picture of 2019. It's backlit, but it was good to be outside taking pictures. The lead unit is a survivor, built in 1980 and rebuilt in 2005. I thought it was worth getting a roster shot of this veteran in better...
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Earlier in the day I'd encountered the SOU unit in the Asheville engine terminal. It's an impossible location for pictures. So near, and yet so far. :( Finding it in the Loops later in the day was a pleasant surprise.
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Two tunnels that would make good compositions next time, west portals at Ridgecrest and High Ridge. That's abandoned US-70 above the portal of High Ridge tunnel in the lower photo. It's been made into a great hiking and cycling trail.
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out yesterday to see what I could find on NS's "Loops" east of Asheville, unaware that a mudslide had shut down the railroad for the day. I packed it in late in the afternoon and drove to the bottom of the grade at Old Fort to look around and found evidence of trouble. I saw a damaged...
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    My mother was closer to the tracks and fired off this shot moments later as my wife and I crowded the dutch door. I'd outfitted us with safety glasses and handkerchiefs to escape the cinders. Our hair was like concrete at day's end. ;) (PS -- 25 years later we no longer look this young.)
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Yesterday I found this old snapshot from the early 1990s as taken by my Dad in western North Carolina. That's Norfolk & Western 611 having just climbed Saluda Mountain and is headed for Asheville. My wife and I are aboard the train. This section of track is essentially out of service today...
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I don't often treat myself to things, but I did so this week to get a pair of N Scale Jersey Central SD-35s before they're gone. I hope to begin construction of my new model railroad this winter.
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    One of the model trains recently given to me by my friend is this little N Scale jewel that's nearly 50 years old, an Arnold Rapido 0-6-0. When I was a kid, I had one just like it and as kids do, I hopelessly ruined it trying to paint it. It's not a valuable locomotive, but it won a place in...
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    CSX has recently changed up its local schedules and I now have a daylight train to watch in both directions! ;) I was so excited that I went out in the overcast to catch the train. I didn't care how the picture looked -- I was stoked to be trackside with any kind of light. It's just a short...
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A generous friend sent me his N Scale to enjoy and that spurred me on to take a hard look at my "collection". I need to make some space, so am deciding what I want to keep and what I rarely run and need to sell or donate. It's been fun looking through everything and seeing how much N Scale has...
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    No shots of the prototype today, but a quick lousy-depth-of-field snapshot of a model instead. I was sorting through my N Scale and came across this old FEC boxcar, bought when I was a kid in about 1969 I figure. As kids do, for some reason I painted two spots on the door red. :confused: This...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Quiet afternoon in Asheville ….
  13. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    A beautifully restored '46 Chevy pickup and a Mercury Montclair were also found.
  14. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Saw this li'l Nash Metropolitan at a show today and it's tiny 4-Cylinder motor. 0 to 60 time is about 30 Seconds it was said. :cool:
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken yesterday, a Carolina Piedmont turn sets out from Laurens, SC and NS stacker No. 213 with some old skool piggybacks on the head end approaches Spartanburg, SC.
  16. S

    Bears!

    Taken from the kitchen window in western North Carolina. Not a good time to step outside ….. :eek:
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thanks Chuck. I hope your load lightens soon and that you're able to find some trains and cooler weather. I also found that RU Tower (to be correct, I should call it RU Cabin in C&O parlance) still stands in Russell, KY along with the depot. Neat stuff. And in Catlettsburg, KY stands BS...
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A coaling tower still stands along the former L&N main in Chaska, TN and an L&N interlocking tower does likewise in Baxter, KY. A deluge arrived seconds after I clicked the tower shot.
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught CSX No.1 leading a coal train in Catlettsburg, KY on Saturday. All just dumb luck, being trackside at the right place and time. No sun, but that's okay.
Top