Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Also caught these shots yesterday while waiting. Here's train 192 arriving from Macon, GA: and a light engine move running west to pull an empty grain train:
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    After wasting a tank of gas and many hours fruitlessly searching for NS's Reading heritage unit this weekend, I finally hit paydirt today at Devine Jct. in Columbia, SC as she departed. I'd never seen the Reading unit before and I think it's one of NS's best. Railfanning is hard on equipment...
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught stacker NS 211 (Croxton, NJ => Atlanta) at Crosswell, SC yesterday. The Engineer gave my wife and I a happy toot on the whistle. ;) That UP unit could use a serious bath.
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thanks guys. I use my router table as a poor man's jointer and after enough passes, I can make my Dad's old lumber good and straight. I made a test panel as seen below to experiment with LED brightness, testing various resistor values to create a level of illumination that isn't blinding and...
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Not much visible progress yet. I'm still working on my control panel, messing around with LEDs and circuitry. It's been many decades since I've had the time to play around with electronics and I'm really enjoying the experimentation. The control panel case is all scrap oak from my late...
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    We must have all hung up our cameras for the balance of the summer. I seem to have little tolerance these days for sitting in the heat and watching creosote bubble from crossties waiting for something to happen. Did get a new hopper car for the model railroad. Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens does...
  7. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    These Mercedes cars must self park between the posts? Definitely an attention-getting display!
  8. S

    Post your flower pics

    Nothing remotely artistic here, but here's a photo of our two recently repotted houseplants. I lack a green thumb in a big way, but figured these were both rootbound. Upon repotting, they both lept in growth and are thriving. The little one is a Christmas Cactus covered with new buds and the...
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    As a result of CSX's many operational changes, only one freight train remains on a portion of the SAL main north of Columbia, SC and I was happy to get a shot of it yesterday. The lighting at this spot is perfect this time of year.
  10. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Colorful li'l Fiat 500s awaiting sale.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From the Wayback Machine (as crashton calls it :cool:) is this low-rez Kodachrome scan from July 1980, probably taken with my Dad's old Nikon EL-2. We're at Benny Interlocking, just east of the tunnels at Gallitzin as two Conrail SD-45 helpers drop downgrade for another shove.
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Since this is Independence Day in the U.S.A., I thought I'd post a picture of an N Scale Bicentennial caboose I bought in 1976 when my country was 200 years old and I was young. I thought it was pretty neat when I got it and am still happy to have it, original bulky couplers and all. This...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Also spotted om the L&C is the 9548, a former Canadian National widecab awaiting repainting. The front door is open to provide a bit of air circulation for the crew on a hot day.
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    The L&C also has a historic general office and a neat HO model railroad upstairs that closely replicates the entire railroad. I want to return again for some scenic photos of L&C trains twisting their way through the pines.
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Checked out South Carolina's little Lancaster & Chester shortline yesterday and found a booming line, with trains everywhere. It was once owned by a textile firm, but was sold to some very smart railroaders who have expanded its miles and its carloads. The line is all jointed rail in need of...
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught NS's Erie Heritage Unit this afternoon on Train 192. I'm on the Columbia (SC) side of the Congaree River here. Typical overcast summer afternoon light. After the shot, I was somehow able to hike out, jump in my pickup, get stopped by the train at a crossing and drive to the yard in...
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    As I waited, I was amazed at the number of young people who used NS's bridge as a shortcut across the river. This bridge is probably 50 FT above the river, about two football fields long and there are few, if any, emergency places to stand on. More people came along later and were casually...
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Went out yesterday to again try for some photos of trains on the two Congaree River bridges in Columbia, SC. After getting covered in gooey mud earlier in the week on the Columbia side of the river, I reverted to the other side in Cayce, SC. The shots required some wait time, but it's a...
  19. S

    Post your 'ALMOST' Photos..

    EVERYTHING went wrong here. I was exploring for a new railroad photo spot by the river. I found myself in slick, gooey mud and slipped down a steep slope in the process. I was fine, but my shoes, clothes, hands and camera bag (with camera safely inside) were covered in mud. Then a train...
  20. S

    Reviewing using manual lens (old film camera) on D3400

    Adjusting the focus helped quite a bit, but I can still see some blurriness sometimes. I noticed that the eyepiece focus adjustment is now set to the very last click. What's interesting is that some shots are sharp and others not quite so. The face of my kid's stuffed animal is sharp, but the...
Top