Search results

  1. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    I love little cars. I'm not sure I'd fit in this one, but I'll bet it's a blast to drive. Fiat 500 Abarth. VW Beetle ... lowered.
  2. S

    Post your Hood Ornaments/Logos

    Fiat 500 Abarth. Not sure why the owner removed the chrome trim that surrounded the logo and the slot on the grille, looks unfinished.
  3. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Also found a real deal GT40. I might have some of the details confused, but the owner said that it was originally acquired by a company that bought Ford's inventory of GT40s, parts and drawings when Ford exited Le Mans racing. This car did not race at Le Mans (which by the way is this...
  4. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    From this morning's Cars & Coffee, a Dodge Charger R/T with "Tick Tock Tach". :cool:
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Happened to catch Columbia, SC's "celebrity" high hood GP-38-2 #5004 this morning as it returned on local turn P77. NS's high hood geeps are becoming increasingly hard to find. It's been working the yard, so has been difficult to capture in a photo.
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you. Yes, 238 handles everything it seems, with today's train including ballast, some stacks (20D is the line's primary stack train), baretables and tank cars. 238 makes for a better picture than 18D which is solid graffiti-covered auto racks. When I arrived, I found the entire...
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Today's 238 at Hopkins, SC, destined for Charleston. I'd been wanting this shot for a while, as I like the composition with the old jointed light rail sidetrack. South Carolina's flat "lowcountry" makes this a very fast piece of railroad.
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught today in gloomy overcast on the former SAL main in SC, another very late northbound combined Silver Star/Silver Meteor. My D5100 has always struggled to fire in poor light when set to continuous shooting mode and this shot was no exception. The first shot was blurry because it had...
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Today's 238 featured NS 4000 on the point, the road's first AC44C6M DC to AC conversion unit, as completed in 2015. NS took the time to paint the first handful with gray carbodies and blue, yellow and black noses.
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From exactly 30 years ago today on 05/16/1992 at Ridgeway, SC, what I'm thinking is #156 advances north. [Nikon N2020, Kodachrome or Fujichrome]
  11. S

    D7500 Availability

    I am kinda sorta maybe thinking about a new Nikon body to replace my decade-old D5100 and was somewhat surprised to find that B&H and Crutchfield have no D7500s. Other suppliers might have them; I didn't spend a lot of time looking around. I've had really good luck with B&H over the years...
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A fine way to start the weekend, catching a late-running combined Silver Star/Silver Meteor this morning. This train normally passes through in darkness.
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Back to current times, caught a coal train today with my trusty D5100. Had a friend tell me that the gray colored section behind the cab of the lead unit houses dynamic braking equipment. Looks like a swap was made before paint could be applied.
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From July 1976 at Hudson, OH, an Alco C-425 digs in. Conrail is just over three months old.
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A Santa Fe piggyback train climbs west at Dalies, NM on 10/23/1996 [Nikon N 2020, Kodachrome]
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I'm thinking that highway grade crossing protection is the primary reason. Disadvantages are reduced visibility for the crew. The N&W preferred long hood forward too. NS no longer recognizes the long hood end as the front, as confirmed by the little F by the nose of the 1111. Modern...
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Come to think of it, you're right about the long hood forward. Yes, Alco trucks ended up under various EMDs. While Alco didn't hit a high note with reliability, we can guess that their trucks were good. :) Soo GP-30 on Alco trucks at Mundelein, IL, 08/19/1978.
  18. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I continue to find some fun stuff in my black and white negatives that I scanned years ago and never looked at, like this one from October 1977 at Knoxville, TN. The 2707 is a former Savannah & Atlanta GP-35 on Alco trucks. Not sure what the story is there. No doubt, the Southern Rwy. struck...
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Aging Lehigh & New England railroad truck hardware, as found somewhere in eastern PA, July 1980.
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From autumn 1977 at Knoxville, TN, Southern Railway GP-9s. The units without dynamic brakes are former Central of Georgia. With its generally flat profile, the CofG had no need for them. [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X]
Top