Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you. I'm sure you'll eventually happen upon a heritage unit. Good news that NS has recently repainted the RDG and SOU units and they look great. The SOU had been in Altoona quite a while after being damaged in a mudslide and she's good as new.
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Train 12R was running 12+ hours late today and appeared at dusk, led by Norfolk Southern's Savannah & Atlanta heritage locomotive. With my D5100 out of breath at ISO 6400, I nabbed this shot at 1/500. There are times when I don't miss Kodachrome 64 (ASA) and this was one of them. :)
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Two more Lancaster & Chester units I saw on Thursday. GP-38AC 2829 as seen in Lancaster, SC is former Southern Railway 2829 and SD-40T-2 6002 found at Heath Springs, SC is former Southern Pacific 8257. Geeky rail trivia -- the 6002 is a "tunnel motor" with its radiator air intake at the rear...
  4. S

    Strange, Rude Lady Yesterday

    A few weeks ago I was standing near a rural railroad crossing and unbeknownst to me, a passing motorist phoned the railroad. I suppose my presence was somehow cause for alarm. A railroad vehicle pulled in and parked, but there was no conversation. The railroad employee likely saw no need for...
  5. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Found this neat vintage Gulf station yesterday. Wanted to try the high test (as my Dad used to call it) at 39 Cents/Gallon, but the "dummy" in the rightmost window just stood there and never moved. :)
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Gulf & Ohio locomotives in quiet repose at Heath Springs, SC in the overcast today on the Lancaster & Chester Railroad. Love that jointed rail. [D5100]
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    CSX Y102 also showed up, running light and with a friendly wave from the engineer. [D5100]
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Caught 18D today with Norfolk Southern's Pennsylvania Railroad heritage unit on the point. [D5100]
  9. S

    Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Using the freeze frame option, does the slow and jerky image appearance in the viewfinder fall further and further behind as the shutter release button is held down? In other words, do the images appear in the viewfinder at the same rate they're being taken or does a display backlog build up...
  10. S

    Raise your hand, Z owners!

    I'm an amateur photographer and have been lightly looking at the Z6 and wasn't aware of this. I shoot mostly passing trains, so a higher FPS is of interest to me. Am I to understand that if I set the Z6 for its full 12 FPS, the viewfinder will go dark as I shoot? I've read other reviews of...
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Earlier, 15R (at left) went into the hole (railroad lingo for took the siding) for northbound 12R at Simpson, SC.
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Today's train 15R southbound at Ridgeway, SC. This is a morning light shot requiring a southbound, but the morning train is a northbound. After a wait of many months, things finally fell into place today with an early 15R. [D5100]
  13. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    As seen the other day, just the thing for your significant other. :)
  14. S

    Photos using D5100 - feedback/suggestion wanted

    This is a difficult photo situation. I'd move the focus point off the subject's shirt or pants to something outside in the brightness. This will cause the camera to use the focus point you select for its metering calculations and lessen the intensity of light outside of the porch. The subject...
  15. S

    Old Family Photos

    Another from the 1939 New York World's Fair. My Grandfather must have set up a time exposure to capture this, with an impressive result given Kodachrome's ASA of 10 at the time and 35mm camera technology. We're looking at the back of a statue of George Washington, the Trylon and the lighted...
  16. S

    Old Family Photos

    Not a family photo, but from one of my Grandfather's Kodachromes, the U.S. Steel exhibit at the 1939 World's Fair in New York. To the left is the Life Saver's candy parachute tower. :)
  17. S

    Kodachrome turns 50

    I lost some slides as well, entrusting my employer to look after them. We were studying locations for a new plant, and with rail transportation being an important consideration, I supplied some Kodachromes. They were used; I got only one back. :(
  18. S

    Kodachrome turns 50

    This has been a good thread in all of its dimensions and I thank you for starting it. Some years ago I found a handful of my grandfather's Kodachrome slides, including this one of the Lincoln Memorial from 1939 or 1940 I figure. Neat to think that my grandfather, father and I all used...
  19. S

    Kodachrome turns 50

    Toward the end when Kodak began to close and consolidate its labs, they lost numerous rolls of mine, all irreplaceable railroad images. I still recollect what I lost. Sometime later, one of the railroad magazines had a short news story about people not getting their slides or getting someone...
  20. S

    Kodachrome turns 50

    I came across a Kodachrome artifact in a closet this past weekend. As it was never used, I wonder if I can return it to K-Mart for a refund? :) (Cell phone photo)
Top