Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Finally found some time to chase a train, with my quarry CSX L647. First picture was taken at Camden, SC and the second at Elgin, SC. This isn't a busy line, with only three freight trains a day, plus Amtrak at night.
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Not sure if I've posted this one before from March 1975 at Chicago's Union Station. ATK 315 is a former PRR E-8.
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    One of the cleanest units I've seen was Norfolk Southern's Virginian Heritage Unit, taken 04/20/2013 when it was nearly new. Sadly, these specially painted locomotives have since become as dirty as all the others. It's not an NS phenomenon though, as grime pervades throughout most of the nation.
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I think the worst looking locomotive I've ever seen was this CSX monstrosity at Greenwood, SC on 09/28/1991. Looks like something out of a Stephen King horror film doesn't it? :eek:
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken yesterday at Lowell, NC was Train 283 led by three BNSF locomotives. I like this location a bunch with the vintage Southern Railway signal bridge. The shot's backlit, but I've seen very few BNSF units and am glad to have it. That's my wife to the left in matching orange shirt. :)
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Today's Train 15R in Blythewood, SC at track speed, pourin' on the coal as it were.
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From 06/13/1997 at Pendernal, NM. Was there ever a finer paint scheme than the Santa Fe's Warbonnet? [Nikon N2020, Kodachrome]
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    :o I've done this sort of thing too when the wait for a train becomes too much to endure, shooting birds, bugs, weeds and whatever else might help pass the time. Seaboard Coast Line lock, 11/15/1992 Southern Pines, NC [Nikon N2020, Kodachrome]
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From the mid-1970s at Rondout, IL, a Milwaukee Road caboose. These were painted orange, so another shot I wish I had on Kodachrome! Oh well. Note the special trucks to give the crew a better ride. [Nikkormat FTn, 50mm Nikkor]
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From 05/14/1976, a westbound at Barrington, IL. GP-35 833 was bought new by the C&NW in the spring of '64. [Nikkormat FTn, 50mm Nikkor]
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Two notable and beautifully restored diesels on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg. The first is an EMD E-7 and the other an EMD GP-30.
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    It's been a long time since I visited Martinsburg, WV and the simple location I once knew has been developed with metered parking, an expanded station, fences, shrubbery and other impediments to frustrate photography. On Wednesday 09/21, I took this picture of the arriving Capitol Limited...
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Chicago & North Western eastbound local at Barrington, IL, mid-1970s. The Elgin, Joliet & Eastern's tower is in the distance to the left. Dig that jointed double-track mainline rail. Continuous welded rail became an industry-wide standard shortly afterwards. [Nikkormat FT-n]
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From 10/30/1977 at Knoxville, TN, Southern Railway's 2-8-2 No. 4501 arrives with a fantrip. The 4501 was Southern's first steam fantrip locomotive and achieved great notoriety in that role. As interest in steam trips grew and the trains got longer, the 4501 was displaced by larger steam...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From 07/20/1976, a New York City bound Metroliner clears Princeton Jct, NJ on Track 1. Partially hidden behind the train is NASSAU Tower and the short 2.7 Mile branch to Princeton is at the left, affectionately known as the Princeton Junction & Back. :D [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X]
  16. S

    Post your men/ladies at work

    From July 1977 at Red Bank, NJ, workers tend to some track maintenance at BANK Tower. In the foreground is the once storied route of the fast and luxurious Blue Comet train to Atlantic City. The tower is gone today and all has very much changed here in the last 45 years. [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X]
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From about 1976, a Chicago-bound "scoot" approaches the crossing of the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Rwy. at Barrington, IL. That's Barrington Tower to the right. The tracks remain today, as does the commuter service, but the locomotive, passenger cars and tower are long gone from the scene...
  18. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    I like that the add lists features such as a heater, sun visors, safety glass and turn signals. Wow, it's loaded! Reminds me of Chicago TV ads for Bert Weinman Ford featuring Linn Burton when I was a kid. Check out that suit. ;)
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    This afternoon's NS 15R at Ridgeway, SC with Uncle Pete (Union Pacific) in charge. I lost my sunlight just before train time. This is a difficult location to shoot because this train usually runs later in the day and the sun is then positioned in a horrible spot. 15R ran early today, so all was...
  20. S

    Post your Birds in Flight

    This afternoon's train 18D arriving with a horn blast and an alarmed bird in flight exiting stage right. :eek:
Top