Nikon mirrorless finally

pforsell

As many know ime shooting mirrorless due to the need to lighten my load,Nikon mirrorless fX was never going to be a contender for me but i am disappointed that Nikon has been so stupid (IMO).They have put themselves behind Sony and ime sure Canon is laughing all the way to the bank now Nikon have shown them what not to do.

Smaller and lighter gear is a valid goal. For me it isn't relevant though, all I want is a better camera. That would mean higher frame rate due to less mechanical moving parts, better autofocus due to wider AF point spread, and easier focusing with MF lenses due to zooming viewfinder with focus peaking. Also I am interested in exotic, wide aperture lenses that the Z-mount would allow. The first gen Z-series isn't there yet for me, but these aren't top of the line models either, these are midrange/entry level cameras. I only shoot stills, therefore progress in video features is not enough as I am not interested at all. Since the f/1.2 or f/0.95 lenses are not ready yet, the Z-line currently is not a better camera for me.

I do not want a smaller camera than a D5 since hand holding an AF-S 200/2VR2 or AF-S 300/2.8VR or AF-S 400/2.8VR with my daughter's D3200 is impossible, I've tried it. But it is easy with a D4S or D5 and I do it every week worth 3000-4000 pictures. If small cameras are all Nikon will do in the future my money stays in the bank. I have enough gear to last me a couple lifetimes.

The fact that current Nikon Z-series is behind current Sony III series is just a testament to the fact that camera development takes years. When Nikon began the Z-series design they aimed to make a better camera than Sony A7 II (or the II series) and they succeeded in that, imho. Unfortunately for Nikon Sony moved the goalposts with the III series, a lot!

I'll have another look at the mirrorless business when 58/0.95, 35/1.2 and 50/1.2 come out along with a Z8 and a full-size (D5 form factor) Z1 (or whatever) that can hold a lot of batteries.

Rick M

I like the size, considering they are Fx, not much else to sway me.The slow frame rates are very surprising, did they throw away everything they learned from the Nikon 1 series? Seems way overpriced for the features. They should have priced the Z6 to draw people in. It's a shame, they could have made a big splash with this but may have blown it.

Texas

Can't guess what the sales figures will be for these or even who the main audience is.
No doubt we will know more in a year or so. I'm not moved by these new Z models at all, but I'm and old guy who favors the big clunky Nikons.

pforsell

Interesting piece by Thom Hogan.

The Z Lenses | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

If the MTF curves truly represent the new S-Line Nikkor quality, then the lenses are in the Otus class, top of the world. There will also be smaller, lighter and lower cost lenses coming out in the future.

Also a D5 class full size body is coming out later. So far all is good, we have more options and choices than we had before.

sutherland

I find many of these YouTube first impressions to be exhaustingly redundant. Pick the voice you like, the face you like to look at, and follow the script.

The single card slot is a deal-breaker for many. Totally understandable. If it is a 'critical' feature, then the decision for considering the Z series should be an easy one.

Nero

I find YouTube to be a mediocre place, at best, to watch reviews. Most of the people who do it are generic and/or focus more on putting on a show by putting on a fake online personality rather than focus on the quality of the content. It's all about views these days.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Daz

Hi All !! Apologies about this being a little late but here it is -

I have been able to get my hands on the Z7 a few times over the last week or so and have probably played with it for a good few hours so here is my thoughts on it good and bad ...

Size and Feel - it feels no smaller than an A7R3 but it FEELS like a Nikon, as soon as I put it in my hand, it felt right, all the buttons are where I would expect it to be.

Its a little heavier than I was expecting it to be which is a good thing for me as it gives you the balance with adapted lenses.

Autofocus - This was a little slow in low light for me but from my contact in Nikon he kept hammering home that it was pre production, which leads me to believe it will be fixed by the time it gets to stores.

Adapted lenses - This was the MASSIVE surprise to me, watch the video below, I set up an 850 and the Z7 on the same settings and the 24-70 2.8 focused faster on the adapter than on the 850 natively

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n58at0mqnr10grz/Nikon Z7.mp4?dl=0

Battery life - You will get a LOT more than the CIPA ratings are giving, I did well over 500 shots on one battery and didnt get to 50%

Blade Canyon

I asked about these at my local authorized Nikon retailer, and they said they thought this mirrorless body would end up being a flash in the pan for Nikon. Interesting take...

Daz

I asked about these at my local authorized Nikon retailer, and they said they thought this mirrorless body would end up being a flash in the pan for Nikon. Interesting take...

From Nikon themselves, they are deadly serious about this venture, I dont think it will be a flash in the pan, from what I gather they already have plans for a D5 equivalent and even lower end models too...

Latest rumor Canon are going for one memory card

An SD aswell !! However it seems their camera is going to be a budget camera like the 6D

Vincent

Smaller and lighter gear is a valid goal. For me it isn't relevant though, all I want is a better camera. ... a full-size (D5 form factor) Z1 (or whatever) that can hold a lot of batteries.

It seems silly not to do it, to fully develop the Z-mount, you need to give professional gear, so why not a D5 body, with adapted mount (a bit of a challenge). You would not avoid EVF (no more room to send the optical waves), unless you work with a double lens system? However this form factor does not seem an idea Nikon is working on.

I do have the impression that the Z-mount is wrongly understood: due to the larger mount and short flange the lens can delivery more light to the sensor avoiding extreme impact angles, giving less artifacts. So the mount does allow to create better lenses, that can deliver on the already great Nikon sensors/system. The system needs to be mirrorless to do this, so it seems Nikon is going to mirrorless FX with the idea to create better images, not focusing on following an other system features. It is not a clickbait message, but will the resulting pictures not convince?

Yes the new Nikon Z-system will have it's development issues, but many landscape photo enthusiasts exploring larger nature reserves will adore a lighter body with D850 sensor/system and with sharper lenses. Similar like Canon, Nikon will sell many instances of a new system in their established customer base, sales will prove nothing.

Daz

The 1 series was crippled by the sensor size it meant there was no way to expand the range as the lenses were for that sensor, with the Z series it is letting them make new FF lenses and then if they want to they can bring a DX body that uses either these lenses or a cheaper set.

One thing to note, this new mount also lets them bring out some S Line video lenses too.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
As one of the first mirrorless users at Nikonites, I was somewhat hopeful that Nikon would enter the market in a strong way. I'm a little underwhelmed by both Canon and Nikon's announcements. So much so that I woke up this morning to order the X-T3 as soon as B&H started to accept them.

An interesting difference between Canon, Nikon and Fuji is time to market. Nikon announced the Z6/Z7 on 23 August with a release date of 30 November for the Z6 and 27 September for the Z7. Canon announced the EOS R on 5 September, ordering begins 12 September and rumored initial ship date of 23 October. Fuji announced 6 September, the major outlets started accepting orders on 7 September and first orders will ship on 20 September.

I love to see all the competition as we photographers are the real winners with all of the innovation!

Daz

An interesting difference between Canon, Nikon and Fuji is time to market. Nikon announced the Z6/Z7 on 23 August with a release date of 30 November for the Z6 and 27 September for the Z7. Canon announced the EOS R on 5 September, ordering begins 12 September and rumored initial ship date of 23 October. Fuji announced 6 September, the major outlets started accepting orders on 7 September and first orders will ship on 20 September.

I love to see all the competition as we photographers are the real winners with all of the innovation!

This just means that Fuji have been further along with their production, Fuji have had this camera in the pipeline for a long time, I knew of it over a month ago as we had Fuji in work and we have been talking about collaborations. Canon SHOULD be closer to market as they pulled the original announcement.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
This just means that Fuji have been further along with their production, Fuji have had this camera in the pipeline for a long time, I knew of it over a month ago as we had Fuji in work and we have been talking about collaborations. Canon SHOULD be closer to market as they pulled the original announcement.

I'm impatient - as many are - while waiting for new toys. I appreciate it when announcements / availability are well coordinated and not far apart.

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
As one of the first mirrorless users at Nikonites, I was somewhat hopeful that Nikon would enter the market in a strong way. I'm a little underwhelmed by both Canon and Nikon's announcements. So much so that I woke up this morning to order the X-T3 as soon as B&H started to accept them.

The new Fuji looks like a great camera, especially if you don't care about full frame. They have some great lenses, too!

Meanwhile, I'm really happy with my D500, and I bet I will be for years to come. :)

SkvLTD

Quite frankly, to finally get 45MP sensor and new glass that can keep up with it(!!!!!) and then an AF 50 with whopping f/0.95 and VR thanks to the sensor gimmick - this honestly beats Fuji for bokehliciousness. And out EL15's to keep up with power demands unlike Fuji's dinky cells.