Nikon mirrorless finally

pforsell

Which vital controls are missing?

There's only two function buttons afaict, which I'd probably set up like I have in my DSLR cameras:
- non-CPU lens selection
- image area

This leaves at least these 6 dedicated buttons missing
- flash compensation
- bracketing
- DOF preview
- metering mode
- white balance
- quality

It's possible some of these are a secondary function in another button, but as I don't have the user manual I can't really tell.

The Z6/Z7 user interface is very D3000ish and not at all D800ish or D5ish. I hope in the future Nikon remembers us D1/D2/D3/D4/D5 shooters too and brings out a full size mirrorless with a full feature and control set.

Woodyg3

Contributor
There's only two function buttons afaict, which I'd probably set up like I have in my DSLR cameras:
- non-CPU lens selection
- image area

This leaves at least these 6 dedicated buttons missing
- flash compensation
- bracketing
- DOF preview
- metering mode
- white balance
- quality

It's possible some of these are a secondary function in another button, but as I don't have the user manual I can't really tell.

The Z6/Z7 user interface is very D3000ish and not at all D800ish or D5ish. I hope in the future Nikon remembers us D1/D2/D3/D4/D5 shooters too and brings out a full size mirrorless with a full feature and control set.

Yep, you are right. Maybe these can be quickly accessed on the touch screen. Not what I would prefer, though. Definitely a step backwards, IMO.

kburke500

Why only one card slot on nikon mirrorless? I was tempted to buy, but now I will wait until they are forced to add redundancy to the card slot. Or, finally buy the sony instead. Cards fail, two cards is best practice for covering an event. Why oh why does nikon shoot itself in the foot? I was happy they seemed to be turning things around, only to be flabbergasted by their stupid decision.

pforsell

Do cards really fail so often? Nikon's first camera with two card slots was D3, before that millions of professionals happily shot billions of photographs with Nikon gear.

Before that people shot film without possibility of a second roll. Happily. Films failed too, and developer machines failed. But not that often.

I have about 60-70 CF cards and even my very first 0.5 GB and 1 GB Lexar cards still work happily, despite that the printing on the labels has faded. I still use them on my D1H and D1X (2BG max card size).

I have yet to have one card fail at me, and I have shot millions of digital images in 20 years using 20+ Nikon DSLRs. I have had a few shutters fail on me after they have been worn out, but not a single CF card. Sure, this is but a single data point and a singular anecdote, but still very true.

I strongly believe XQD is of much higher quality than CF.

And yes cards do fail, that's inevitable, but I believe the hysteria is way out of proportion. I have many cameras with 2 slots but I only use them in overflow mode.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Do cards really fail so often? Nikon's first camera with two card slots was D3, before that millions of professionals happily shot billions of photographs with Nikon gear.

Before that people shot film without possibility of a second roll. Happily. Films failed too, and developer machines failed. But not that often.

I have about 60-70 CF cards and even my very first 0.5 GB and 1 GB Lexar cards still work happily, despite that the printing on the labels has faded. I still use them on my D1H and D1X (2BG max card size).

I have yet to have one card fail at me, and I have shot millions of digital images in 20 years using 20+ Nikon DSLRs. I have had a few shutters fail on me after they have been worn out, but not a single CF card. Sure, this is but a single data point and a singular anecdote, but still very true.

I strongly believe XQD is of much higher quality than CF.

And yes cards do fail, that's inevitable, but I believe the hysteria is way out of proportion. I have many cameras with 2 slots but I only use them in overflow mode.

My analogy is this: most if not all new cars in today's world come with air bags even though the majority of cars never need them. I'd still insist on having an air bag rather than on becoming a statistic. ;) And with today's technology, why be without dual card slots? To each his own I guess.:)

kburke500

I am very careful with my cards. I've only had 5 cards fail. But when the technology is available to give you 2 slots and you have used 2 slots for redundancy, to take it away and say the qxd card isn't going to fail just smacks of obfuscation. There must be a reason they did not provide two slots. Could it have to do with the slow buffer rate? The videos out now show the buffer slowing and filling at 14 exposures. If data was filling 2 cards simultaneously would there be a buffer drag worse than that in the DSLR? The qxd card is so much faster, it seems strange that there would not be a way to feed both from each exposure. I've been watching the nikon sponsored videos that show pros saying that the one slot is not an issue and they ingest. Just moving the card data to an hd is not the same concept. A card failure is a logical thing to plan against. card slots also fail. Having two slots could mean the ability to keep using the camera when one slot connection fails. Mocking photographers who are extra careful and use redundancy seems strange to me. Luckily, everyone is free to express their own opinion. I read the rumors about a dual sd slot and a dual qxd and cFxpress, and conversion to a CFexpress from the current slot. If nikon will convert the slot to slots as an option, I would be more inclined to purchase. There are many situations that don't allow for tethering or shooting to wifi backup and 2 cards is a simple effective way to safeguard your work. Why not offer it? What does it really cost Nikon to offer two slots? IN the last two days I have seen hundreds of comments criticising the decision to remove the second slot. Evidently other people appreciate the security it offers just as I do.

Deezey

Guess they figured what with the low shots per battery charge people would only fill one card at a time?

I am glad to see Nikon is evolving and trying newish things though. I am sure there will be growing pains. And hopefully, maybe, we could see things like the sensor stabilization tech make the jump to the DSLR lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pforsell

Guessing what the Nikon camera lineup will look like in the near future.

I just can't help but wonder... as the new Z-series bodies are kinda entry-level bodies if we look at the form factor and controls. Top quality sensors inside sure, but controls are like directly from a D3200. I got this crazy idea in my head that the Z6 is the upgrade/replacement to the D610 and Z7 is the successor to D750.

Otherwise new D620/D760 would cannibalize the Z-series and/or vice versa. And what else Nikon could add into the D600/700 series anyway? Higher FPS and/or higher resolution would make them step on the toes of D850, so it is a no go. And Nikon is such a small company it cannot hold 7 concurrent FX bodies in the lineup. I personally assume that DF is discontinued as well as D600/700 series. They all share the same mirror box and chassis, so they have probably been manufactured on one assembly line. Sure, plenty of all of them in the warehouses all over the world, but manufacturing has ceased several months ago.

So the current FX lineup is D5, D850, Z7, Z6 and that's it. I wonder if/when Nikon starts consolidating the 4 lines of DX cameras into fewer lines. At least the D7500/D5600 pair is probably a bit redundant now, so the next model to replace both could be a D6500 with flippy screen but without in-body AF motor to cut cost, size and weight. That would mean the DX lineup is D500, D6500 and D3400.

It's noteworthy the published Nikon Z-line lens roadmap contains no DX lenses. The roadmap extends to year 2022 so that's 3½ years in the future. My guess is that there will be no crop sensor Nikon Z body, probably ever.

But what will be the next step? Will there be a D860 or will it be replaced by a pro-level Z8? How about D5? Almost certainly a D6 will be released for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, as it is too early for a pro sports body Z1, especially as the roadmap doesn't contain any of the sports lenses for the Z-line: 200/2, 300/2.8, 400/2.8 and 600/4. As a matter of fact we are so close to the Olympics now that probably early versions of D6 are already been manufactured by hand, one by one, for internal testing, and also a new assembly line is being tooled and being put together. A camera and the factory to produce that camera does not happen overnight, the process takes years.

But... after D6 sometime in 2022-2024 timeframe we will probably see a pro sports Z1 which could mean the demise of the Nikon FX DSLR line, if (big if) the sports lenses are ready. Otherwise a D7 is also a distant possibility, and it will be the last of the mohicans.

Final guess, Nikon camera lineup in January 2021:
D6, Z8, Z7, Z6 and D550, D6500.

mikew_RIP

Its looking like Nikon had the chance to show every one what they could do,instead they opted to protect the Nikon DSLR sales,at what long term price i wonder.

mikew_RIP

As many know ime shooting mirrorless due to the need to lighten my load,Nikon mirrorless fX was never going to be a contender for me but i am disappointed that Nikon has been so stupid (IMO).They have put themselves behind Sony and ime sure Canon is laughing all the way to the bank now Nikon have shown them what not to do.

Possible reasons are a misguided attempt to protect their DSLR market, bean counters with holding development funds or good old Nikon arrogance.

mikew_RIP

Sony user offering hope, some of what he says makes sense.

[video=youtube;QKN68FwOkCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=QKN68FwOkCM[/video]