Nikon mirrorless finally

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Do you use an adapter so that you can use your Nikon glass with Fuji? I've got a friend who's really into the Fuji bodies, and we had talked about mating up my 200-500/5.6 to his X-T1, but I have no experience with mount adapters and what's any good.
Yes and yes the adapters work well with the Fuji. But for wildlife, I still prefer the Dslr.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Good to hear. If I have to go with a new lens mount to go mirrorless anyway, I might as well keep considering the Fuji then.
Well, you might want to wait because even if you can use Nikkors on the fuji, the auto-focus is not functional. Now the new Nikon mount with adapter might make the older F mount lenses focus (electronic coupling to activate focus). This is one thing that I don't think Fuji adapters will be able to achieve. But manual focusing with a mirrorless is way easier because you have focus peaking.

I'm sure it's worthy to wait until the Nikon is out to decide. Even I could be surprised... Only a few months to go anyway (1 month before it comes out and then a few until it's available locally.

Woodyg3

Contributor
LOL. f/0.95 is impressive, but at f/0.95 if you manage to get the eyes sharp, the nose will just be a bokeh ball. :) Okay, maybe not quite THAT bad, but depth of field would be pretty much none existent.

mikew_RIP

LOL. f/0.95 is impressive, but at f/0.95 if you manage to get the eyes sharp, the nose will just be a bokeh ball. :) Okay, maybe not quite THAT bad, but depth of field would be pretty much none existent.

Come on you have been around like me long enough to know some will have to buy one because most cant afford it, nothing to do with how useful it may or may not be, just as a status symbol.::what::

Daz

I have been in contact with someone within Nikon (perk of my job) and they have said they will have the Camera's at their location from the 23rd. Now I could be reading into this more than I should but the plural of cameras in the statement leads to me thinking that the rumours of the 2 cameras is correct.

I have also heard of a £3000 price point ...

pforsell

Come on you have been around like me long enough to know some will have to buy one because most cant afford it, nothing to do with how useful it may or may not be, just as a status symbol.::what::

I just hope that Nikon manufactures enough of these in case collectors start hoarding them. The current inflated price of the 58/1.2 Noct-Nikkor is in no way in proportion to the lens quality, but a direct consequence of the low numbers manufactured. I got mine well under $2000 way back when and it still was double of what I think it really is worth.

Currently someone is selling a new unused (old stock) Noct-Nikkor for $12,800. :p
Unused Noct-Nikkor on ebay

Daz

Just to keep this thread alive, I have a source in Nikon. I am loaning an 850 next week, I asked if I can have a spare battery.

He said they are all going to be needed for next week. This leads me to believe they will have the same battery as the 850 and the 500.

pforsell

It's awesome how much smaller the mirrorless cameras are vs. SLRs, after you attach a lens.

Sony A7R III with 35/1.4 and Nikon D850 with 35/1.4. :p

smaller.jpg

To comparison: Compact Camera Meter

pforsell

The first 3 lenses are pretty uninspiring, imho. No hurry to dig out the wallet yet.

I will add the mirrorless body to my kit when there will be lenses that are not and can not and will not be available for the F-mount. So far a slow f/4 kit zoom or two f/1.8 kit primes are not something I personally would want or need.

Then again we must remember that Nikon is definitely targeting new customers too, not only current Nikon shooters. For someone buying their first camera a Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 is probably not very high on their demand list. For me it is the only thing that is interesting. A camera is a camera, mirrorless-schmirrorless, I don't care. Give me the fast lenses. :cool:

I can wait, I have enough gear to last me a couple of lifetimes.

pforsell

If you are emphasizing body size, for me it seems to be going in the wrong direction. Body size is meaningless in the real world, as long as the body is large enough for a solid, good grip. I have posted this in another thread before, but here is a small sampling of a few of my lenses that prefer a D5-style body, where a squishy-squeaky-add-on-grip isn't really an option either (been there done that and never again). :p

telet.jpg

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

If you are emphasizing body size, for me it seems to be going in the wrong direction. Body size is meaningless in the real world, as long as the body is large enough for a solid, good grip. I have posted this in another thread before, but here is a small sampling of a few of my lenses that prefer a D5-style body, where a squishy-squeaky-add-on-grip isn't really an option either (been there done that and never again). :p

View attachment 294521

Ime not emphasizing anything, just putting it on for info, i like larger bodies but just not too heavy.

pforsell

Looks like kind of ”enthusiast level” camera, somewhere in the same class as D6x0/D7x0. The user interface is a bit cramped and some vital controls are missing. I expect at least one perhaps two higher class models in the future, one full specced and another top of the line. Hopefully with a bit bigger body too.

These look like they are aimed at non-Nikon shooters... I can’t imagine any of us being very thrilled about two slow primes and one f/4 zoom, lol. I don’t know the Panasonic or Sony pricing, but I expect Nikon marketing has priced these competively.

Let’s hope these do well in the market and with not too many issues requiring a recall. I’m cautious and pass this first round and will have another look when Z8/Z9 come out, hopefully the 58/0.95 Z-Noct and 36/1.2 are available by then too.

We’ll probably see a D6 before that though and perhaps we need to get two or three of those since they might be the last of their kin.

Last edited: