My D800E is now DEAD!

crycocyon

Very sorry to hear about that, Glenn. Here in the USA homeowner's insurance will cover the contents of the home such as cameras even if the damage occurred outside the home. Nothing like that in Japan?

I know there isn't really anything that can be offered by way of advice since it was an accident and I am sure you treat your equipment like a pro, but I never have my D800 away from the camera bag without being attached to the black rapid strap, and if I change lenses I put the camera only on the camera bag.

So the magnesium frames on those cameras can take hits but of course the internals of the camera are not shockproof. Yes the D4 is made to be more resistant to damage related to shock, but personally I couldn't go anywhere but to another D800E, or wait for a D4s to come out with 24 MP sensor :).

Well at least with the D7000 you can still take some great photos during this convalescence period. I remember when the battery door on my D7000 broke on one of the mounts and I was pretty upset so I frankly couldn't imagine (nor would try) how I would feel if my D800 was totaled.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
So the magnesium frames on those cameras can take hits but of course the internals of the camera are not shockproof. Yes the D4 is made to be more resistant to damage related to shock, but personally I couldn't go anywhere but to another D800E, or wait for a D4s to come out with 24 MP sensor :).

Thank you. Worse case scenario, I have replacement parts available for a D800/E. :eek:

The D800E is really hard to let go since it is such a great camera and to have it replaced with the other FX cameras is a little bit hard to accept. It could be just in my mind but for my studio work, it is king. Maybe I might warm up with the Df since it's the sensor of the D4 is what attracts me.

Both D4 and D800 were almost love at first sight for me. This picture was taken when they were first introduced at a convention here in Japan back in Feb 2012.

Nikon D800 and D4 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Scott Murray

That sucks mate I know what it is like for your beloved to die (Similar to mine drowning in Africa).

Last edited by a moderator:

Silven

I'm just devastated right now. I don't know how to describe it but I really like that camera.

I'm all sad and depressed for you now. I have insurance on mine but still I think I would go catatonic at least for a while if I were in your shoes.

Photowyzard

Glenn,

I just saw this. I am so sorry to hear of this accident and loss of use of your D800 and your investment. I hope everything works out to your satisfaction in the end.

Art

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn,

I just saw this. I am so sorry to hear of this accident and loss of use of your D800 and your investment. I hope everything works out to your satisfaction in the end.

Art

Thanks Art. My camera is on its way to APS to see if they can still salvage it.

Sent from my iPhone.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Looks like the DF is in short supply in Japan. I wonder why.

My assumption is that there are also a large number of camera enthusiasts here in Japan. December is also the month when the Japanese gets their year end bonus.

It is not a bad idea to buy something locally since the value of the US Dollar have increased and is now slightly higher at 1:102 against the Japanese Yen compared to 6 months ago, it was around $1: .75 Yen.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
HI Glenn,

Almost a month has passed, any good news on the D800? Here's hoping you get a nice Christmas present from Santa… :)

Thanks Art. I have been patiently agonizing and slowly accepting that my beloved D800E might not be able to make it. I am expecting for the worse and hoping for the best.

I am working out a nice back-up plan just in case... Details will be announced once "it" arrives should the tech could not put humpty dumpty together again. I have a good working relation with Mrs Santa and have asked to put in a good word for me. ;)

PeteB

Sorry to hear about this. As others have said, I hope your insurance covers it. Homeowners might! Personally I'd consider the D610 strongly since it supposedly has a new shutter release mechanism that may produce fewer oily spots on the sensor filter.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sorry to hear about this. As others have said, I hope your insurance covers it. Homeowners might! Personally I'd consider the D610 strongly since it supposedly has a new shutter release mechanism that may produce fewer oily spots on the sensor filter.

Thanks Pete.

I am in a "unique" situation. Living overseas in a military base, we normally don't ask for insurance since it is not our permanent house. We don't even pay utilities such as electricity, water, sewer, and/or trash disposal. All we have to pay for is cable TV, internet and cell phone bills.

Whatever the case maybe, this one will be out of pocket expense but that is ok with me since that's the price I am willing to pursue / pay since this is my passion. We only live once and we have to make the most out of it. :)

STM

All of my camera gear, Nikon and Hasselblad and all of my Nikkor and CZ lenses are insured against damage and theft. Insurance is not very much and it is worth the price several times over.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Finally got the quote from Nikon Photo Service to have my D800E repaired. $840 USD total. :eyetwitch:

I just don't know how soon they can fix it. I am not in hurry anymore though. Just get it fixed and send it back. Getter done! :cool:

Bill16

Ouch! But I'm glad you can get it fixed my friend! The cost is cheaper than buying another one, so I guess that's plus. But I'm sure sorry the quote turned out so high. :(

Finally got the quote from Nikon Photo Service to have my D800E repaired. $840 USD total. :eyetwitch:

I just don't know how soon they can fix it. I am not in hurry anymore though. Just get it fixed and send it back. Getter done! :cool:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Ouch! But I'm glad you can get it fixed my friend! The cost is cheaper than buying another one, so I guess that's plus. But I'm sure sorry the quote turned out so high. :(

It is a little painful but it is what it is. It is better to have it fixed than settle with the other cameras since I really like the D800E. I am not exagerating it since I have now tried most of the Nikon cameras. The Dynamic range and acuity of that camera is just simply the best around Nikon's full frame line-up especially for landscape and studio type photographer.

Nathan Lanni

That cost is well justified. Looked on Adorama and they're selling new here in the States for over 3 times that much. My rule for repairing things is if it's under 1/2 new cost then repair it.

It is a little painful but it is what it is. It is better to have it fixed than settle with the other cameras since I really like the D800E. I am not exagerating it since I have now tried most of the Nikon cameras. The Dynamic range and acuity of that camera is just simply the best around Nikon's full frame line-up especially for landscape and studio type photographer.

It's like you tasted some really fine wine. Afterwords, lesser quality wine you may have enjoyed before just doesn't do it for you. Sure, it's wine and no doubt good quality but once you have taste really fine wine it's hard to go back.

Last edited: