My D800E is now DEAD!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You seem to be taking it well. If it were me, I think I'd shed a tear, or two. Sorry to hear that.

On the outside, I may look ok but I am deeply disappointed since I don't feel complete without my D800E available. The D7000 is here for moral support LOL!

Oh man, that totally sucks. Now you've got me feeling a little scared. Did you have any extra insurance on it? Is it completely toast and beyond repair or can you have it fixed cost effectively? I once took a nasty fall with my D7000 with the 14-24mm f/2.8 connected to it. The camera came out of it just fine but the lens eventually needed a new barrel a few months later.

Dave- from the other forums, they recommended trying Authorized Photo Service (APS) as an alternate service provider. I'm not sure if they will be willing to do an extensive repair. If they can do it at less than $1k, I will consider that as a good price compared to buying a new camera.

Home - Authorized Photo Service

No insurance for me since I live overseas.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sorry to about this Glenn. :( Rent a D4 for a couple days.A more robust tough as nails body is the D3s. The D4 has more DR than the D3s otherwise pretty much the same.
I have a D800 also, lately I have been shooting the D4 more than the D800. I prefer the 16.2 files over the 36mps

Sam - a used D4 would be really ideal now that I know how fragile the D800 appears to be. I'll need something that can take more beating.

RockyNH_RIP

Glenn,

I am so sorry to hear about this... I would be so devastated! Good luck on a replacemnt that you will love as much as the 800E

Pat in NH

Brian

I am sorry for your misfortune- and even sorrier that the D800 breaks in such a catastrophic manner. I wonder what the polycarbonate frame body cameras would do in a similar drop. "Years ago", I read that the Nikon Titanium cameras did worse in drops than the standard cameras using Brass. The brass absorbed the shock, titanium transferred the shock to the mechanism of the camera. It sound like the D800 design transfers the shock to the weakest point, the back of the frame.

The last Nikon that I dropped was a Nikon F Photomic T. It left a nasty ding in the table that I dropped it on.

wrxified

Sorry to hear about your loss. Did your 24-70 require any work or realignment?

Things like this make me think twice about the supplemental insurance plans that are offered by companies like Adorama and B&H. I've always been strongly opposed add-on warranty plans that just add onto the manufacturer warranty because they wouldn't be there if they didn't make money on them.

I would never add my camera as a rider to my home warranty because it's so dang expensive when you look at the annual cost and increase you pay for years if you do make a claim.

This type of story however makes Adorama's $156 for the 5 year drops/spills coverage look very attractive. I've been considering a refurb 14-24 2.8 for a while. They have it for $1750 vs. $2000 new and 5 year drop/spill coverage is $104.

Good luck with your search for a replacement.

BackdoorArts

Man, that stinks. Hard to say goodbye to old friends, but I'm sure you'll find something solid to replace it. I love the D600/610 sensor, but it likely would have been worse off than the 800.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sorry to hear about your loss. Did your 24-70 require any work or realignment?

Things like this make me think twice about the supplemental insurance plans that are offered by companies like Adorama and B&H. I've always been strongly opposed add-on warranty plans that just add onto the manufacturer warranty because they wouldn't be there if they didn't make money on them.

I would never add my camera as a rider to my home warranty because it's so dang expensive when you look at the annual cost and increase you pay for years if you do make a claim.

This type of story however makes Adorama's $156 for the 5 year drops/spills coverage look very attractive. I've been considering a refurb 14-24 2.8 for a while. They have it for $1750 vs. $2000 new and 5 year drop/spill coverage is $104.

Good luck with your search for a replacement.

Thanks for the tip. Additional insurance coverage is definitely something that I will consider for my camera equipment.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Man, that stinks. Hard to say goodbye to old friends, but I'm sure you'll find something solid to replace it. I love the D600/610 sensor, but it likely would have been worse off than the 800.

I know what you mean Jake but I'm now back to which camera is best for me type of question.

I'm so used to the operation, DR and the mega files that the D800E offers, anything less might not satisfy what I am used to. The D4 and D610 are great choices that I am considering.

Nathan Lanni

I know what you mean Jake but I'm now back to which camera is best for me type of question.

I'm so used to the operation, DR and the mega files that the D800E offers, anything less might not satisfy what I am used to. The D4 and D610 are great choices that I am considering.

IMHO, it seems you need to (which you likely are doing already) revisit your decision to buy the 800e. My guess is you'll be right back at the same place today.

Whatever you buy, you have the same considerations as to the care and handling of the camera. A d4 will be more durable but it'd not indestructable. plus, IMO it seems like step backwards for you compared to the resolving power of the 800e. A 610 magnesium alloy/polycarbonate chassis is less durable than the 800e's magnesium alloy chassis.

It's sort of like falling off a horse - you have to get back on right away or the fear will be there.

Get another d800e and hold it very tight. :)

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
I also think another D800/e is your best choice. But don't count your current body dead just quite yet. It could just be something minor preventing it from working because the D800 isn't very different in build from a D4 in strength. The D4 has better seals than the D800/e but both bodies are allegedly built to withstand a great deal of abuse. Or at least that's what I was lead to believe.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I also think another D800/e is your best choice. But don't count your current body dead just quite yet. It could just be something minor preventing it from working because the D800 isn't very different in build from a D4 in strength. The D4 has better seals than the D800/e but both bodies are allegedly built to withstand a great deal of abuse. Or at least that's what I was lead to believe.

You have a point Dave. However, I have this curiosity on the D4 which is pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Glenn, you've told us that you sent your camera to Nikon USA since that is where it was bought. If I was in your shoes, I'd get the camera back and send it to Nikon headquarters in Japan asking for another estimate without mentioning what Nikon USA said about it. What if you'd be surprised... and they'd agree to fix it, maybe to find out what could be improved? What would you have to loose? Don't loose hope even if you've been eyeing the D-4 since the very first time you put your hands on one when it came out. I remember seeing my screen fill with your drool. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn, you've told us that you sent your camera to Nikon USA since that is where it was bought. If I was in your shoes, I'd get the camera back and send it to Nikon headquarters in Japan asking for another estimate without mentioning what Nikon USA said about it. What if you'd be surprised... and they'd agree to fix it, maybe to find out what could be improved? What would you have to loose? Don't loose hope even if you've been eyeing the D-4 since the very first time you put your hands on one when it came out. I remember seeing my screen fill with your drool. :)

Now that's thinking outside the box. I'll ask some of my co-workers to call the company for me and inquire if they can look at it even though it is considered as a gray unit here in Japan. Most companies here will rarely have English speaking staff especially in Tokyo or where ever their service center is operating.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Go to the top Glenn. You can try with the service center, but if my intuition is right, they are a separate entity than Nikon. These big companies spread themselves out with different companies and delegate the warranty and service. But you can always try to reach higher and you can succeed if you are able to convince them that their corporate image is a stake with this problem.

I hope you will succeed and, even if you have to pay some, you might get your camera back or something good will develop from this relationship you will create with Nikon.

I'm also a consultant for a Canadian company which is a subsidiary company of a Japanese company and I understand quite well how their service and support is paid for.

Good luck Glenn.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope you will follow Marcel's suggestion of contacting Nikon in Japan. After all, Nikon is a Japanese company--it's my guess that the Japanese people would be a little more knowledgeable about the items they create. They may know of ways to fix the damaged parts rather than for you to pay for replacing so many damaged parts. Just a guess though....