My D800E is now DEAD!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It's like you tasted some really fine wine. Afterwords, lesser quality wine you may have enjoyed before just doesn't do it for you. Sure, it's wine and no doubt good quality but once you have taste really fine wine it's hard to go back.

That is pretty much spot on! :D I'm not trying to knock off other cameras but after using the D800E for a year, there is something different or distinct about the images that I get when viewing the original RAW or JPG files on my monitor. However, it is not your typical all around camera. It does have its own weaknesses which is speed (fps) and some might find the file sizes too large.

Nathan Lanni

That is pretty much spot on! :D I'm not trying to knock off other cameras but after using the D800E for a year, there is something different or distinct about the images that I get when viewing the original RAW or JPG files on my monitor. However, it is not your typical all around camera. It does have its own weaknesses which is speed (fps) and some might find the file sizes too large.

Hope you get it back soon.

Deezey

Glad to hear it can be repaired! 840 doesn't sound too bad considering having to repurchase at full price. Now the thread needs a new name....:D

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is great news Glenn, not the repair price, but the fact that it is repairable. Better to spend a bit of money than to use it as a paper weight.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Since I paid $200+ to get my 20mm f/2.8D repaired (its aperture couldn't be changed), I really thought the cost for your D800E would come in even higher than what you were quoted. I am glad to hear it is repairable and know you will put it through its paces. It will serve you well, and the D3s is an awesome camera, too--so does that mean we will get to see twice as many shots from you when you get the D800E back?!! ;)

wud

I didn't see this thread until now - auch! The pain! My worst nightmare, dropping the camera the wrong way. But now you suddenly got 2 awesome cameras? :-D I'm sure I told you before, but I did hit my arm/elbow pretty hard on my camera (I took a swing, you could say) and couldn't stretch it for days.. The D3 didn't notice anything. So good choice, I think :) Besides all the other amazing stuff about the D3s.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Great news mate, so it was revival able ;) will be interesting to see what use it gets now you have the D3s :)

That is a very good question. Two FX cameras plus two f2.8 zooms with flash = two very heavy set-up! :eek:
I actually bring a camera everytime I go out (excluding work) but I rarely post family pictures on forums.

Glad to hear it is repairable.... Hmmm... best of all worlds soon huh???

Congrats
Pat in NH

Thanks Pat. I'm very excited to get both. I can't complain. :D

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This is great news Glenn, not the repair price, but the fact that it is repairable. Better to spend a bit of money than to use it as a paper weight.

Yes indeed Marcel. I'm glad that Nikon Photo Service took the time to completely assess my camera to repair and restore it as new condition.

Since I paid $200+ to get my 20mm f/2.8D repaired (its aperture couldn't be changed), I really thought the cost for your D800E would come in even higher than what you were quoted. I am glad to hear it is repairable and know you will put it through its paces. It will serve you well, and the D3s is an awesome camera, too--so does that mean we will get to see twice as many shots from you when you get the D800E back?!! ;)

Thanks Hark. Will try to post as much as I can. As an enthusiast, I have tried just about every type of photography that is available. I started mostly with landscape and macro photography. I am not much of a sports photographer, so my practice is more of a conservative. I don't think that I'll be using my D3s in Ch mode except when necessary. It will be a while before I can max out the shutter life expectancy.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I didn't see this thread until now - auch! The pain! My worst nightmare, dropping the camera the wrong way. But now you suddenly got 2 awesome cameras? :-D I'm sure I told you before, but I did hit my arm/elbow pretty hard on my camera (I took a swing, you could say) and couldn't stretch it for days.. The D3 didn't notice anything. So good choice, I think :) Besides all the other amazing stuff about the D3s.

Thanks Wud. The D3s appears to have a more robust and instantaneous auto focus. I'll have to do some testing with my other prime lenses to see if they require auto fine tuning with the D3s. Based on all the youtube videos of the extreme test that was done on the D3s, I think it will be a while before I part with it unless I reach the point that I can no longer handle heavier set-up.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Authorized photography service quoted 2 to 6 weeks estimated completion time. I am expecting Feb time frame before I get it back.

Sent from my iPhone.

Nathan Lanni

Authorized photography service quoted 2 to 6 weeks estimated completion time. I am expecting Feb time frame before I get it back.

I'm sure you mentioned it, but what area is the Authorized Photography Service?

Apart from the long time for mail service you experienced, I would think they could do it quicker. I dropped mine and was amazed how fast they repaired it here in So California. Once I approved the quote ($340 USD - case parts and circuit board) they had it repaired in the 3 business days.

Here's hoping.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm sure you mentioned it, but what area is the Authorized Photography Service?

Apart from the long time for mail service you experienced, I would think they could do it quicker. I dropped mine and was amazed how fast they repaired it here in So California. Once I approved the quote ($340 USD - case parts and circuit board) they had it repaired in the 3 business days.

Here's hoping.

They are based in Illinois and are Nikon Authorized repair center. They require a calibration equipment which is scheduled to be available in January.

Home - Authorized Photo Service

Nathan Lanni

They are based in Illinois and are Nikon Authorized repair center. They require a calibration equipment which is scheduled to be available in January.

Home - Authorized Photo Service

That makes sense and is good to know about.

When I broke my d7100 a few months back I looked for Nikon Certified Repair Shops and was told they no longer existed. Nikon changed their policy and wouldn't sell replacement parts or issue Nikon diagnostic software. If I brought my camera to a "Nikon Certified Repair Shop" they would package it and send it to one of the two Nikon regional repair center for me.

Nikon apparently felt they couldn't control the quality of repair at the local shops. (I heard Canon would sell parts but would not issue copies of their propriety diagnostic software so the effect was the same.)

Another member of the forum dropped his Nikon with a lens on it and broke the lens mount. Nikon regional repair center said it was totaled - no quote or anything. It's good to know there are alternatives.

Thanks again.