Impressions of the new Nikon D7500

Dawg Pics

Re: Initial impressions of the new Nikon D7500

Something has been bugging me. I could not figure out th reason for no grip issue. I was reading the construction and saw Monocoque design instead of full magnesium frame. Now that may be fine but it bugs me and makes me wonder about durability.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Loss of a battery grip is pretty significant. You have a good point. That is an expensive mid range camera to skimp on durability. Is this where they cut expenses to keep the cost down?

It is like a logic loop you can't escape from.

Blacktop

Loss of a battery grip is pretty significant. You have a good point. That is an expensive mid range camera to skimp on durability. Is this where they cut expenses to keep the cost down?

It is like a logic loop you can't escape from.

I don't get the battery grip thing at all. I almost understand the 1 card slot deal, but not this..

Leif

Something has been bugging me. I could not figure out th reason for no grip issue. I was reading the construction and saw Monocoque design instead of full magnesium frame. Now that may be fine but it bugs me and makes me wonder about durability.

I suspect the difference is minor. Engineering plastics are pretty strong, maybe more so than magnesium. However, the D500 has the lens mount attached by metal screws in plastic, and I suspect the D7500 is the same, which is a weak point. I have read that if the plastic holding the lens mount breaks, it is a major major repair job. My advice is don't drop it. :)

pforsell

Monocoque means that the body is molded and machined out of one piece (mono). This design was first used in the D3 body which was made of magnesium. Monocoque has nothing to do with the material used, though.

The opposite of monocoque is a body which is assembled by screwing together a separate top plate, separate back plate, separate bottom plate, separate mirror box and separate front plate. Exactly as Canon does its camera bodies. And many low-end Nikons too.

I don't have any negative impression about the carbon fiber thermoplastics over magnesium. The monocoque body of a D750 feels noticeably more solid than D7000 or D610 whose outer shell squeaks when I squeeze the grip.

tjlaswell

I'm considering a new camera body in the near future. I'm wary of the D7500, I already know the D7200 will work with my current inventory of lenses since it has the focus motor in the body. I haven't figured that out yet for the D7500. If it doesn't have the focus motor then I agree with a previous poster that this sounds like the start of a new line, not a iteration of the D7200. The D3200 and D5200 I have seen at the warehouse stores feel too light and small for my hand. If I had the cash today I would be picking up a D7200, not a D7500 at the local camera shop.

pforsell

I'm considering a new camera body in the near future. I'm wary of the D7500, I already know the D7200 will work with my current inventory of lenses since it has the focus motor in the body. I haven't figured that out yet for the D7500. If it doesn't have the focus motor then I agree with a previous poster that this sounds like the start of a new line, not a iteration of the D7200. The D3200 and D5200 I have seen at the warehouse stores feel too light and small for my hand. If I had the cash today I would be picking up a D7200, not a D7500 at the local camera shop.

The D7500 has the in-body AF motor.

Danno

Monocoque means that the body is molded and machined out of one piece (mono). This design was first used in the D3 body which was made of magnesium. Monocoque has nothing to do with the material used, though.

The opposite of monocoque is a body which is assembled by screwing together a separate top plate, separate back plate, separate bottom plate, separate mirror box and separate front plate. Exactly as Canon does its camera bodies. And many low-end Nikons too.

I don't have any negative impression about the carbon fiber thermoplastics over magnesium. The monocoque body of a D750 feels noticeably more solid than D7000 or D610 whose outer shell squeaks when I squeeze the grip.

I understand monocoque construction. I struggle since they make no reference to any of the substructure. My D7200 has a Magnesium subframe similar to the 7100 and 750. There was no mention of it in the spec for D7500 body.

pforsell

I understand monocoque construction. I struggle since they make no reference to any of the substructure. My D7200 has a Magnesium subframe similar to the 7100 and 750. There was no mention of it in the spec for D7500 body.

I don't know what you mean with "subframe" here. The D750 is through and through plastic, as the broken off mount demonstrates. The most important part of the body is the mirror box and everything else is built onto it. The D750 has some cosmetic magnesium cover panels, but it is plastic inside just like the D810.

Below D750 plastic mirror box first and D810 under it. Nikon changed the material from magnesium (D800) to plastic (D810) after the D800 frame breakage warranty disaster.

d750.jpg

d810.jpg

Danno

This is what I mean. This is the frame under the body.
2959daf3b35a034ea8f8461e1197c14f.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Samo

This camera is already getting tons of hate on the net and no one has one in hand yet. I would say welcome to the new paradigm. This is Nikon's new entry level scheme during and after the restructure. They have to make money somehow and newbs won't know any better. :)

People gush over the 500 iq and af system and how it blows away the 7100 and 7200. Guess what? The 7500 is going to blow them away too!

Refurb 750 on sale at 1500. Refurb 500 not much more. I bet some 500 users are upset.

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

This camera is already getting tons of hate on the net and no one has one in hand yet. I would say welcome to the new paradigm. This is Nikon's new entry level scheme during and after the restructure. They have to make money somehow and newbs won't know any better. :)

People gush over the 500 iq and af system and how it blows away the 7100 and 7200. Guess what? The 7500 is going to blow them away too!

Refurb 750 on sale at 1500. Refurb 500 not much more. I bet some 500 users are upset.

I agree. Why all of the negativity for a camera that hasn't hit the street, yet? IMHO, the D7500 is just the camera that some people want and/or need. There are those who think that lesser sensor resolution makes it a lesser camera, and that's all they look at. If that's what they want to think, then I can't help them. Never mind the other benefits that the D7500 might offer them. I'm not saying the D7500 is the right body for all, but I do believe that it can be the right one for some, if not a lot of people. Eventually, the market will determine whether it is a good release for Nikon or not.

And why should people who won D750's and D500's be upset? (I own both.) Moore's Law is in effect, and does drive pricing as well and new equipment introduction. The only thing that upsets me about any of my Nikons is the lack of time that I have to use them for what I really want. I can't quit work to chase my photography dreams right now, so I'll have to live with things as they are for a while.

WM

Last edited:

captain birdseye

I have read elsewhere that the AF system is sub d7200 standard, all plastic body ( no CF or alloy like the d7200/d500) and no mention of a battery grip (or the means to fit one).
The lack of battery grip is what is puzzling me the most as I always use one with my DSLRs. I just dont like the way my little finger slips under the body without one fitted plus, the extra controls for portrait mode are great.
One card slot does not bother me as I have never used the second one.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I don't know what you mean with "subframe" here. The D750 is through and through plastic, as the broken off mount demonstrates.
No, it's not. First off what you're calling "plastic" is actually carbon fiber, which is distinctly different from plastic: "The properties of a carbon fiber part are close to that of steel and the weight is close to that of plastic. Thus the strength to weight ratio (as well as stiffness to weight ratio) of a carbon fiber part is much higher than either steel or plastic." Source: What is Carbon Fiber?

And all those silvery bits in the pics below? Remove them and tell me again just how "cosmetic" all that magnesium alloy is:
D750 Alloy Frame Front.jpg.....D750 Alloy Frame Rear.jpg
Source: Everything you need to know about the new Nikon D750 DSLR camera via Nikon Rumors.

Last edited:

pforsell

The most important part of the camera is the mirror box. It has to be strong and rigid. On the front of it there's the lens mount and on the back the sensor. No flexing or movement allowed there. On top of the mirror box is the focusing screen and prism and in the bottom the AF sensor. Again the box has to be strong and rigid. The rest of the camera? No matter if the knobs and buttons are gummed with blue tac on wooden sticks. Any thin shiny shells added on the outside of the camera is window dressing.

But Nikon has made the right decision. The carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastic is stronger and lighter than magnesium, which is brittle.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

The most important part of the camera is the mirror box. It has to be strong and rigid. On the front of it there's the lens mount and on the back the sensor. No flexing or movement allowed there. On top of the mirror box is the focusing screen and prism and in the bottom the AF sensor. Again the box has to be strong and rigid.
Nobody is debating the importance of the mirror box, quit trying to move the goal post (again and again). You stated the D750 body was "plastic through and through" and that is simply wrong.

Any thin shiny shells added on the outside of the camera is window dressing.
So the camera would be fine without it's magnesium alloy body? All that metal is window dressing for aesthetic purposes? Dear gawd man... Where DO you come up with this stuff?

But Nikon has made the right decision. The carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastic is stronger and lighter than magnesium, which is brittle.
Do you know the exact composition of the magnesium alloy used? Please explain in detail because without that knowledge I'm curious how you know just how brittle it is.

pforsell

I'm not moving the goal post. The mirror box is the camera. That is the part that needs to be strong. Everything else is attached to the mirror box, which provides the structural integrity to the whole device.

The old duraluminium (alloy of copper and aluminium) used back in the '80s was strong, but heavy and expensive because it needed precision milling. Magnesium can be injection moulded and thus needs less milling. Unfortunately it is prone to impact damage. Thankfully Nikon has found a better material.

Is there a misunderstanding somewhere? My position is that the thermoplastics in Nikon cameras is better than magnesium. Otherwise Nikon would not make the structurally most demanding part of it. Or Glock wouldn't make handguns of plastic.

The thin non-structural magnesium shell panels in some Nikon cameras are there because some customer segments feel that they need metal. Make no mistake, there's market analysis behind it. As irrational as it may be.

I think we have polluted the D7500 thread enough already. If you wish to continue on the D750 issue, how about a separate thread?

Let's get back to topic, shall we?

Last edited:

grandpaw

I purchased my D500 the end of November when it was $1795.00 and included the $371.00 Nikon battery grip, fast SD 64 gig card and a backpack. If I took away the price for the included battery pack, card and backpack it would be about the same price as the D7500. I have been shooting since 1970 and the D500 gives me everything I want in a camera and then some. I am just blown away with the abilities of the D500. I just wish that more people would have taken advantage of the price I got mine for while it was on sale. I mentioned the deal I got here on this site and I don't think many took advantage of the sale, but I bet there are many here that wish they had. The bottom four items were included in the $1795.00 price, I added the top two items to the order.

.Screen shot 2017-04-15 at 8.52.28 AM.png

Last edited:

pforsell

I purchased my D500 the end of November when it was $1795.00 and included the $371.00 Nikon battery grip, fast SD 64 gig card and a backpack....

Looks like an excellent deal to me. One has to be quick when the retailers or Nikon offer these bundle deals or cashbacks. I'm glad it worked for you.

Leif

Nobody is debating the importance of the mirror box, quit trying to move the goal post (again and again). You stated the D750 body was "plastic through and through" and that is simply wrong.

So the camera would be fine without it's magnesium alloy body? All that metal is window dressing for aesthetic purposes? Dear gawd man... Where DO you come up with this stuff?

Do you know the exact composition of the magnesium alloy used? Please explain in detail because without that knowledge I'm curious how you know just how brittle it is.

The front and bottom panels of the D500 are plastic, as is much of the internal frame. It is not carbon fibre, which is made by laying down layers of woven carbon fabric, applying a plastic resin and baking it. Nikon are using a plastic that contains carbon fibres, which is not the same thing. However, I don't see your objection to the use of the term 'plastic'. The truth is that plastic encompasses cheap and nasty and high quality. Nylon is a plastic, but it is an extremely tough stable material. In some ways it is better than metal (it does not shatter so easily as it can give a bit and it is warmer to the touch in cold weather), but in others it is worse (it abrades more easily). I have no issue with Nikon using plastics, but I do have an issue with the attachment of the lens mount using screws into plastic. That is cheap and poor engineering. But the reality is that these are complex elecronic products and not designed to be dropped and throw around, apart from the D5 and its predecessors.

It is said that Nikon moved to plastics after the D800 suffered fractures in the internal metal frame which were very expensive to repair. And as far as I know we do not hear about many problems with the D810, D600, D610 and D750 bodies. But if you want bullet proof, you must buy a D5.

Incidentally many Canon cameras may boast a metal shell, but in truth that metal shell is often no more than thin magnesium plates screwed onto a plastic frame. The metal is largely cosmetic.

As for me, I have a D200, D600 and D500. The D600 seems very well made, mode than good enough for an amateur who does not hang a camera over his shoulder, or treat it roughly. The D500 does not seem any stronger, but there is only one way to find out, and I don't intend to test them.