Impressions of the new Nikon D7500

Whiskeyman

My D700 and D90 only have one card slot, and I have rarely had an issue with this. When I paid attention and prepped properly for the shoots I was working, I started with an formatted & empty card and never had a problem. When I didn't pay attention to my pre-shoot routine, it has been a problem, even with two card slots on my D750.

Since I have the D500, I see no need to look at a D7500, but I can see where it will be a camera that some people will like and purchase. With its release soon, I can see a price drop before Christmas to entice purchases around the holidays.

WM

mikew_RIP

As a none Nikon DSLR owner at the moment i see it as an interesting camera, if i had a D7200 then it would not be interesting,the main stumbling block for me i think would be the AF but i feel that was Nikon's plan,at least financial problems hasn't made them change their attitude to their customers.

Ironwood

Well, theres a few things there that I was expecting them to do, to keep it under the D500, but I wasnt expecting them to cut back to one card, or to make it unable to be fitted with a battery grip, and the lower res back screen. Why Nikon ?

Lets hope the D760 doesnt follow suit with this disappointing trend :(.

pforsell

The D7500 is pitted against the EOS 80D and D7500 wins all the important specs. Higher frame rate (8 vs 7), better video (4K vs 2K), wider AF point coverage with more points (51 vs 45), and Nikon AF has been better at tracking moving subjects for quite some time, and better low light image quality with wider ISO scale (51,200 vs 16,000) excluding the overextended settings. And both cameras have one UHS-I card slot.

The D500 is pitted against 7DII and here I think Nikon is ahead as well.

So what did Nikon do that was wrong? I think nothing. They don't expect the owners of the previous model (D7200) to switch because the release rate is too fast for that. But there are plenty of D90, D300, D300s, D7000 and D7100 users who have maybe hundreds of thousands of shutter clicks on their camera, looking for a new one. At $1249 this is a bargain.

I also think the model designation D7500 instead of D7300 means a new "series" is born, like the D750 did in the FX entry level. Perhaps Nikon will consolidate the D3000/D5000/D7000 series into just two product lines, "D4000" and D7500.

Last edited:

Leif

I have a D500 which is superb, but had the D7500 come out at the same time and been cheaper, then I would have gone for it. However, the price will drop soon, that always happens to these 'prosumer' bodies.

It has for me some key features namely an articulating LCD, so useful for shots close to the ground and on a microscope, and an EFCS (Electronic Front Curtain Shutter) which is incredibly useful for photomicrography and close ups. The dynamic range will be great, the resolution is fine for A3+ prints, the FPS is more than I need, and hopefully the shape is better than the D600, which is horrid to hold. I am sure semi-serious sports and bird shooters will love the large buffer. The single SD card slot is fine for me, I've never used two. If your living depends on image capture, then I guess you want to use dual slots to protect against card failure, but hey, the D500 is for pros is it not?

I think they have done a lovely job. Including the EFCS is a surprise. I don't regret my D500 as I use the eyepiece shutter all the while, and I much prefer the pro control layout. They have managed to keep out the pro features so pros will buy the D500, but retain a lot of functionality.

Horoscope Fish

After mulling it over the D7500 seems more and more like a D5600 with some D5 "guts" stuffed inside and as such feel quite certain it's going to seriously erode D500 sales. Not only that I'm unclear on who this midrange body is aimed at, unless it's D500 shoppers looking to save about a metric ton of cash for a camera that's probably 80% of the D500. Those folks will take the $800 or so they'll save, put it towards a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 and go freakin' NUTS! Damn, that would be a killer combo, right there.

Those of us who are accustomed to having two card-slots and like knowing we can shoot that ocean of AI/S glass will probably opt to sit this one out, in droves, and simply invest in glass instead.

Blade Canyon

If I weren't already invested in a bunch of FX glass I would consider this body for its improved low-light sensor, but Nikon will probably release a similar FX body this year, so I'll wait for that.

RocketCowboy

Hello all, I haven't visited here in a while... Nikon's D7500 announcement piqued my interest. This seems to be a good camera for me. As a sports shooter, I'm in dire need of a replacement for my faithful old D300, but the D500 is completely beyond of my price range. Not an ideal sports camera, my D7100 has been carrying a heavy workload (the D7200 never offered enough of an upgrade to justify a purchase). The D7500 can give me much of the D500's most important feature set, while offering a frame rate I'm familiar with from the D300. A pairing of a D7500 with my D7100 should cover my humble needs, and for less than what a D500 would cost me. That sounds good to me. :)

A refurbished D500 is $200 more than a new D7500. The price delta isn't that big.

Bikerbrent

Well, it looks more and more like the D7500 is a higher priced stripped down D7200! See Nikon D500 vs. Nikon D7500 vs. Nikon D7200 specifications comparison | Nikon Rumors First, I find it interesting that the sensor size for the D7500 matches the D7200 and not the D500. Which raises the question, does the D7500 really have the same sensor as the D500? The AF module in the D7500 matches the D7200, not the D500 with 51 focus points vs. 153. The D7500 has no flash bracketing. Come on Nikon! It's no wonder your sales are decreasing.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Well, it looks more and more like the D7500 is a higher priced stripped down D7200! See Nikon D500 vs. Nikon D7500 vs. Nikon D7200 specifications comparison | Nikon Rumors First, I find it interesting that the sensor size for the D7500 matches the D7200 and not the D500. Which raises the question, does the D7500 really have the same sensor as the D500? The AF module in the D7500 matches the D7200, not the D500 with 51 focus points vs. 153. The D7500 has no flash bracketing. Come on Nikon! It's no wonder your sales are decreasing.

I agree with most of what you are saying.The D7500 does, though, have the same resolution as the D500. (20.9)

I understand that people want all the goodies that the D500 has, but you aren't going to get that for $800 less.

Meanwhile, I do have to scratch my head when Nikon chooses only one card slot and no vertical grip.

I was fortunate to have the money when the D500 came out, and I am extremely happy with that camera. The large buffer and fast frame rate of the D7500 would have been enough to win me over had I not been able to afford the D500, though. I think it's a pretty nice set of features for the money. That, of course, being said without ever having touched or seen one in real life. :)

I would tell people interested in this kind of camera, though, to keep an eye out for refurbished D500s. The D500 is a truly wonderful camera, and refurbs can occasionally be found in the $1500 range.

Dawg Pics

A refurbished D500 is $200 more than a new D7500. The price delta isn't that big.

At Cameta, the D500 is $1629, Adorama has D7200 refurb for $760, and D7500 set at $1246.
Adorama had a sale recently. I think the price was an extra $100 off for the D500. I would have to go back and look, though.

Will the D7200 price drop more now? After thinking about it, I would probably miss the back button focus on it. I can always put a small flash on the D500 if needed. Decision, decisions.

Last edited:

Leif

Well, it looks more and more like the D7500 is a higher priced stripped down D7200!

I must admit I find that view rather bizarre. The resolution and DR are virtually identical. The D7500 adds an articulating LCD, which is incredibly useful, albeit only in one axis, not two. It adds an electronic shutter, which is very useful. The AF will be improved despite the same number of AF points. The buffer is increased to 50 14bit RAW shots at 8 FPS no less, which is more than enough for most amateurs surely, even those that shoot motor sports, aircraft and ice hockey. The metering now includes highlight priority which is excellent, I use it all the time. The D500 white balance is top rate, not sure if it bests the D7200. It has the video capabilities of the D500 which exceed those of the D7200, not that I have ever used video, I don't even know how to. The sealing is improved. The build is presumably at least as strong. As for the two card slots, how many (non pro) people really use two card slots and need them? They have to differentiate it from the D500 somehow, and that is one way to do it.

I think the truth is that the D7200 is superb. However, I believe it has the same form factor (shape) as the D600, which for me is execrable. I love the D600 features, but the shape is really unpleasant to hold. The D500 is superb to hold, and I think the D7500 is more like the D500. Please correct me if I am wrong about the shape. The D7200 is a lovely camera, the D7500 in many respects is a worhty successor, though it does seem that almost noone here agrees. :beguiled:

Leif

At Cameta, the D500 is $1629, Adorama has D7200 refurb for $760, and D7500 set at $1246.
Adorama had a sale recently. I think the price was an extra $100 off for the D500. I would have to go back and look, though.

Will the D7200 price drop more now? After thinking about it, I would probably miss the back button focus on it. I can always put a small flash on the D500 if needed. Decision, decisions.

The D7500 is perhaps poor value at the moment, compare to the D500, but once the price plummets which I am sure it will within a few months of release, it will be well worth it.

Dawg Pics

@Leif
I agree with you. I don't think it is a bad model at all. The technology will eventually plateau, and will get even more difficult to significantly stratify the lineup. I am not sure what features you add and have it not be a D500 with a flash or remove without pissing people off. However, that is what the manufacturers do to spread the buyers around.

I dunno, I am just a gal trying to upgrade. I don't think there is a bad choice here just different ones. What I do know is that I won't purchase a brand new model until reviews start coming in.

Danno

Re: Initial impressions of the new Nikon D7500

Something has been bugging me. I could not figure out th reason for no grip issue. I was reading the construction and saw Monocoque design instead of full magnesium frame. Now that may be fine but it bugs me and makes me wonder about durability.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Camera Fun

When the 7300 rumors first came out, I was very intrigued. 20mp with better low-light performance as an upgrade to my 7000; maybe an articulated screen as a bonus. However, at least for now, the 7500 just doesn't seem very interesting. I prefer two card slots with raw to one and jpeg to the other. I llike the feel of my 7000 as well as a 7200 I held once.
Time and reviews on the 7500 will reveal a lot but for now it looks like my future upgrade will eventually be either a 7200 or a 750. Unless of course a 7300, as an actual 7200 replacement, or a 760 is eventually announced. I will admit as a 'hobbyist' photographer, the camera numbering system is confusing at times.