Impressions of the new Nikon D7500

gunfighter48

I bought a D90 about 8 months after they hit the camera stores. It was a great camera at that time and took excellent pictures. I also put the battery grip on it and found that I really didn't need it. I never took enough pictures to run one battery down let alone 2 batteries. I kept it on the camera for the extra grip support. The D90 didn't have much grip without the battery grip for my taste. Two weeks ago one of the local camera stores had the D7500 on sale and I went to take a look. I had got on some of the photography sites and read the reviews on the 7000 and 7200. But I finally settled on the D7500 and love it. The thing that did it for me was the tilting rear screen. I'm also an amateur astronomer and want to use it for some astro photo work. The tilting screen is almost mandatory for that. The new lenses are terrific and the prices are also very good right now. The AF-P lenses are very quiet in operation. I had to check the 18-140 zoom and the 70-300 zoom a couple of times to make sure they did change the focus they both were so quiet.

I do miss the battery grip but the D7500 has a lot deeper grip than the D90. So here again I don't really need it and the camera is very light compared to the D90 with the battery grip. I have a bad back so the lighter weight is much appreciated. I haven't had time to do much with it yet still reading up on the camera and all that it can do. It's light years ahead of my old D90!! Been on YouTube watching a bunch of videos that have helped me get up to speed on the D7500. It was money very well spent in my case and I have found nothing to complain about at this point.

madtyke

I am not a professional and the D7500 suits my needs excellently, I simply don't need 2 card slots and don't want to carry an extra flash around, its great in low light, fast and has all the focus points I want. Yes I like itOz

Bikerbrent

if i could've combined my D300 (didn't bite on the D500) bodies and the D7200 i had, it would've came out as the D7500.

I agree, If Nikon had stuffed the guts of the D7200 into the D300 body and called it either the D400 or D7500, I would have been all over it. As it stands now, I am not interested in either the D500 or D7500.

Davoxt

Contributor
luv my D7500, upgraded from a D7100 mainly for the buffer as the second card slot has always been set for overflow, its a perfect partner for my trusty old D810.

Andreas_el

Re: Initial impressions of the new Nikon D7500

I bought a d7500 18 140 kit and af s 50mm 1.8g from grey market. Camera is exceptional for me. I send it back because it had other serial in cpu and other in body and bought a new one from ad. The af s 18 140 lens made a weird noise while focusing and I asked for replacement. When first using the camera af s light needed 20 to 30 pictures to fire up. But now I have what I want . D7500 covers my needs 100%, ok video focusing is not it's best feature but camera is fast has touch screen , has everything in buttons and you don't need to go deep in menu.
This of course is my personal opinion.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: Initial impressions of the new Nikon D7500

I bought a d7500 18 140 kit and af s 50mm 1.8g from grey market. Camera is exceptional for me. I send it back because it had other serial in cpu and other in body and bought a new one from ad. The af s 18 140 lens made a weird noise while focusing and I asked for replacement. When first using the camera af s light needed 20 to 30 pictures to fire up. But now I have what I want . D7500 covers my needs 100%, ok video focusing is not it's best feature but camera is fast has touch screen , has everything in buttons and you don't need to go deep in menu.
This of course is my personal opinion.

Welcome!

Please introduce yourself in the new member thread.
https://nikonites.com/new-member-introductions/

Texas

I"d like to understand "other serial in cpu, other in body".
I just recently learned that you can see the camera serial number in exif with the proper software.
Is that the number used for your "cpu" number ?

Andreas_el

I"d like to understand "other serial in cpu, other in body".
I just recently learned that you can see the camera serial number in exif with the proper software.
Is that the number used for your "cpu" number ?
The serial can also be viewed in snapbridge app when camera is paired with phone and in the ssid of the wifi. Mine was different in the body and different in meta data, ssid etc.

Mark F

[FONT=&quot]I tried to like this camera... I really did. I had it for 2 weeks and I went back and forth putting it back in the box and opening it up again to give it one more try... in the end I sent it back to Adorama along with an af-p DX lens that I wouldn't be able to use on a d7200. The 16-80 lens is phenomenal but not worth the asking price outside the kit.
I liked the electronic shutter for mirror up functions. I liked the shutter delay option. I liked the auto af fine tune. What I didn't like was the grip and where my finger hit the F1 button ( which they did away with preview ) I didn't like the fact they took away the 2nd card slot and left the camera with no electric points on the bottom to mount a battery grip.I didn't like the strap mounts. Some people liked this option but I didn't like the iso button moved and not having the easy iso option. To turn off auto iso you now have to be a contortionist if you are from the back of the camera to push the iso button with your right hand along with trying to move the front dial. The tilt screen was ok but it looked a little flimsy to me when it was out... I'm not one to use video or live view anyway so that didn't bother me too much. The AF-P lenses for DX anyway need a menu to turn on or off the VR. I don't believe this camera is an upgrade to the D7200. I think if falls into an upgrade from the D3400 and D5500.Its a way for Nikon to want buyers to spend the extra money on the D500 instead. I'd rather spend on good glass. The end results are what we are after though... picture quality. For action, sports... this might be a great camera. For landscapes... the 20.9 mp sensor doesn't compare to the sony 24mp of the nikon d7200 If someone only wanted this for travel... then the d7500 along with the lightweight afp f4.5-5.6 lenses would be great. They claim better high ISO in this sensor... I still got a lot of noise without noise reduction software at 6400. It was fine where I normally shoot 100-3200. Someone at Nikon was on crack when they said it would do 51,200 and then even going up to 1,640,000. Not in the real world... sorry. I would recommend this camera to someone who just entered the photography world and didn't have any equipment. This is a camera they can spend time learning. I would not recommend this to someone who was looking to upgrade from a d7200

[/FONT]

Bdwyer

I am a D7500 owner. The LCD screen just broke on my brand new camera. I am pretty sad about it. As far as a review, I am sorry to report I am not impressed. The camera (when it was working) didn’t respond as quickly as I expected, I kinda of wish that I went with the D7200 but was woooed by the new processor and tilting screen. It was an upgrade from the D90. I first had a D50. And before other film cameras. I am a hobist turned student. I have been taking photos for several decades but never professionally. For the last 6 months I have enjoyed the camera and it was definitely an upgrade from the D90 but I am so disappointed now that I can’t really say much good. I can say this, I haven’t missed an extra card slot. But again I am an armature, so that probably doesn’t mean much coming from me. Anyway, that’s my take.

Mark F

Its still under warranty so you should be able to get that screen fixed. Was it the screen that broke or the swivel mounts? The arms on the swivel mount was the first thing I noticed about this camera that I didn't like.

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am a D7500 owner. The LCD screen just broke on my brand new camera. I am pretty sad about it. As far as a review, I am sorry to report I am not impressed. The camera (when it was working) didn’t respond as quickly as I expected, I kinda of wish that I went with the D7200 but was woooed by the new processor and tilting screen. It was an upgrade from the D90. I first had a D50. And before other film cameras. I am a hobist turned student. I have been taking photos for several decades but never professionally. For the last 6 months I have enjoyed the camera and it was definitely an upgrade from the D90 but I am so disappointed now that I can’t really say much good. I can say this, I haven’t missed an extra card slot. But again I am an armature, so that probably doesn’t mean much coming from me. Anyway, that’s my take.

Welcome!

I agree with MarkF, if it's still under warranty, send it to Nikon for repair.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Its still under warranty so you should be able to get that screen fixed. Was it the screen that broke or the swivel mounts? The arms on the swivel mount was the first thing I noticed about this camera that I didn't like.
But I find Nikon have a magic phrase to refuse doing warranty work for free: "Impact damage". I've got a friend whose lens had some kind of bubble between elements and when he sent it, they claimed it was due to impact damage. So he had to buy a new lens... They are IMHO using this as an excuse to refuse to honor their warranty quite a bit too liberally. It seems that they'd rather sell than repair.

Mark F

But I find Nikon have a magic phrase to refuse doing warranty work for free: "Impact damage". I've got a friend whose lens had some kind of bubble between elements and when he sent it, they claimed it was due to impact damage. So he had to buy a new lens... They are IMHO using this as an excuse to refuse to honor their warranty quite a bit too liberally. It seems that they'd rather sell than repair.
This is true, I remember having that problem with Nikon over a pre-notified cleaning before warranty was expired. I'd still call Nikon and try though.

Patrick M

I love it. I just went from the D7100. 2nd card slot isn’t an issue for me. I used the 2nd on the D7100 as overflow or jpeg, never back up...and touching wood, I’ve never lost an sd card. Where I’ve taken exceptional pictures, I’ll swap out the card.
I had the extra battery hand grip too. Never used it. Easy enough to change batteries when I had too. My hands arent large, and the bigger grip just made the D7100 cumbersome.
a few buttons moved around. Frankly the extra functionality offered and the faster FPS for moving targets are great. I love the easy way the touch screen works too.
also, though the sensor is a tad smaller than on the 7100, the quality of the pictures looks better. Maybe it’s the x5 processor or my imagination?
I’ve had it a week and I’m so far anyways, convinced.

Bdwyer

No, I haven't used the swivel. I did, however, just switch from Live View when this happened. It stopped giving me a preview, and instead was showing the menu after each shot. Then after a few minutes of taking pictures, and I mean minutes, not hours, the screen went black, would not preview or show the menu or play back the images, I got nothing. I changed batteries, changed lenses, reformatted my memory card...then, I let it rest over night and it seems to work fine again. But the fact that it did that in the first place is a big problem for me. I guess it is in the intermittent stage of breaking.

Bdwyer

Hi Marilynn, I sent it to Nikon when this first happened. They could not replicate the problem. Got it back, then it kept happening. I was in the middle of taking a college level photography (for credit) class. So to say the least I was heartbroken. At that time when I sent it to Nikon, it was close to the end of my warranty period. I had bought a secondary warranty thru B&H photo. I sent my camera to them. This time I sent my lens that I was using, thinking it was some kind of problem, the two working together, I also sent my battery and charger and memory card. However, they also claimed they could not replicate the problem. However it keeps happening. Mind you, this happens intermittently so there are times it works great, and I think the problem magically diappeared. But then, I will be taking pictures, and for no reason I can figure out, the screen stops working, and goes black, then after a few more shots, the camera stops working at all. During those few shots it acts like it can not save the picture. Turning off and on does not help, changing memory cards or batteries or lenses does not help. The only thing that makes any difference at all is letting the camera rest for several days. At any rate most disappointing purchase EVER!