Wud's project 52 - 2015

wud

3/52

I wanna post this and I don't wanna post this - I am SO happy about the soft shadows I managed to create with A FLASH! My first time ever. But the expression looks a bit weird :distrust: Oh well.

untitled_shoot-8705_web.jpg

Lawrence

3/52

I wanna post this and I don't wanna post this - I am SO happy about the soft shadows I managed to create with A FLASH! My first time ever. But the expression looks a bit weird :distrust: Oh well.

Brilliant lighting.
Did you bounce the flash?

Whiskeyman

3/52

I see nothing wrong with it. About the only things I might change would be to see what it looks like in portrait orientation and to try to get the catchlights raised up a bit. (Probably just because one of my first photo teachers hammered us about keeping the catchlights at either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock.)

I think you've done a fantastic job with a single flash! It is inspirational!

WM

Last edited:

wud

I see nothing wrong with it. About the only things I might change would be to see what it looks like in portrait orientation and to try to get the catchlights raised up a bit. (Probably just because one of my first photo teaches hammered us about keeping the catchlights at either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock.)

I think you've done a fantastic job with a single flash! It is inspirational!

WM

Oh really? I had no idea about keeping catchlight in specific angles, but thank you so much for letting me know! And you are right about the orientation.

I think I found a new studio to rent occasionally, going there Tuesday with a friend and her daughter, can't wait to play more with lights :)

Whiskeyman

Oh really? I had no idea about keeping catchlight in specific angles, but thank you so much for letting me know! And you are right about the orientation.

I think I found a new studio to rent occasionally, going there Tuesday with a friend and her daughter, can't wait to play more with lights :)

It's not really a rule to keep the catchlights at those angles, but it does keep the flash above the subject.

As far as the landscape orientation, I do like it here. I'd really like to see it with the model turned slightly into the negative space. Do you think you could get your model to try that in a re-shoot? :rolleyes:

And anyway, these are just something to try. I really like the original shot posted here.

WM

FastGlass

I never gave it much thought either. Although when positioning the lights, you get what you get. Moving the lights to put the catch lights in a specific spot would destroy the lighting on the subject in certain situations. I never positioned the lights in favor of the catch lights over how it falls on a subject.

wud

It's not really a rule to keep the catchlights at those angles, but it does keep the flash above the subject.

As far as the landscape orientation, I do like it here. I'd really like to see it with the model turned slightly into the negative space. Do you think you could get your model to try that in a re-shoot? :rolleyes:

And anyway, these are just something to try. I really like the original shot posted here.

WM

I think the model think, it was a bit to difficult controlling both light and camera, while sitting in front of the camera too ;) But it was mostly done to get myself to work with that flash and to keep doing it, until I started to understand just a little part of it.
I love your suggestions and will defiantly keep them in mind Tuesday :)

I never gave it much thought either. Although when positioning the lights, you get what you get. Moving the lights to put the catch lights in a specific spot would destroy the lighting on the subject in certain situations. I never positioned the lights in favor of the catch lights over how it falls on a subject.

I'll try both versions in the studio :) Guess some angles you'll just have to place the light where it needs to be, but for the above, there could have been a tad more light on left eye, I think.

RON_RIP

I see some great suggestions here Mai, but I really feel you captured your model's personality, which is what portrait photography is all about.

Whiskeyman

The 10-o'clock to 2-o'clock catchlight positioning can be a tool to determine whether your primary lights are in a good position or not. Chances are that if the catchlights are there, your primary lights are correctly positioned. This keeps the primary light off axis and above the horizon.

The following inks are to articles pertaining to lighting and catchlights, if you're interested:

An Introduction to Catchlights - Digital Photography School

Five Things To Know About Photographic Catch Lights | Photofocus

Catchlights in The Eyes - Portrait Photography Tips | The Boudie School

Home photo studios: how to shoot pro-quality portraits with a basic studio kit | Digital Camera World

WM

FastGlass

The 10-o'clock to 2-o'clock catchlight positioning can be a tool to determine whether your primary lights are in a good position or not. Chances are that if the catchlights are there, your primary lights are correctly positioned. This keeps the primary light off axis and above the horizon.

The following inks are to articles pertaining to lighting and catchlights, if you're interested:

An Introduction to Catchlights - Digital Photography School

Five Things To Know About Photographic Catch Lights | Photofocus

Catchlights in The Eyes - Portrait Photography Tips | The Boudie School

Home photo studios: how to shoot pro-quality portraits with a basic studio kit | Digital Camera World

WM
Interesting articles.