WreckDiver1321's daily photo thread

wreckdiver1321

Lots of exciting photos to share taken recently! A short trip to the northwest yesterday yielded some decent landscape shots. I can't seem to get my landscapes sharp and I'm not sure why. I'm shooting them at f/16, focusing on something a third of the way in, and was shooting at or faster than 1/100. Is the 18-55 just that blurry at smaller apertures?

March 14

I went on a short trip up north, so I took a side route towards the mountains around the Boulder River Valley.

Nasty weather in the valley by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

The Main Boulder Road by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

Then last night, we went to the bar and we saw a bagpipe band perform.

Bagpiper by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

I also got a chance to do more night shots.

Broadway at night by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

Neon alleyway by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

wreckdiver1321

Last edited:

Lawrence

wreckdiver1321

It is against the Nikonites Guidelines to use phrases such as "split toning" without at least some sort of explanation! :)

Haha how detailed would you like?

In LR, I set the highlights to a yellow color (60 on the slider), and set the saturation slider to around 30. I set the shadows to a blue color (244) and set the sat to 24. :)

wreckdiver1321

March 17

Happy St. Patrick's day everybody! I went on a bit of a "I'm gonna get some shots of cameras" thing today. It came about from a trip to the antiques shop. I happened to find an old, non-functioning Olympus OM-10 with a 50mm lens, a telephoto zoom lens, a flash, and a bunch of film for $20! It was so cool I had to drag out my beat up old Vivitar XC-3 and get some shots of them. I also took out my old Nikon N55, but it's not as photogenic. I tried to do the closest thing to a "studio" setting that I could. I dragged out some lights and used newspapers as the setting and backdrop. I think it made for some cool shots.

Classic photography 2 by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

Classic photography 5 by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

Classic photography 3 by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

Classic photography 4 by wreckdiver1321, on Flickr

On the color shots, I used a similar split toning formula as yesterday and dropped the saturation to around -40. On the B&W of the Olympus and the flash, I added a small amount of yellow highlights and blue shadows. I thought it looked a bit better than pure B&W.

wreckdiver1321

Cool, I used an OM-10 for years.

Sweet, it seems like a cool little camera. I'm amazed at how compact they are in comparison to today's SLRs. I keep an eye out for the old metal bodied SLR cameras. I want to have a nice little collection. I hope I find a Nikon FE or F series, as well as a Canon AE-1. Basically, if I find one of the old metal SLRs for under $100, I grab it. I'm also seriously considering buying film for my Vivitar. I'm also giving serious consideration to fixing this Olympus. A 35mm SLR with a 50mm lens just feels so natural.

What's funny is that the cameras themselves are photogenic. I find myself wanting to get shots of those cameras in use or in cool settings.

Last edited:

john*thomas

Just a guess but the OM-10 probably has a stuck shutter. I bought my OM-10 brand new around 1980. In the late 90's the shutter started sticking. I found it was a common problem so I bought my first digital camera. 1.2MP Olympus. $300 and it didn't last nearly as long as the OM-10.

wreckdiver1321

Just a guess but the OM-10 probably has a stuck shutter. I bought my OM-10 brand new around 1980. In the late 90's the shutter started sticking. I found it was a common problem so I bought my first digital camera. 1.2MP Olympus. $300 and it didn't last nearly as long as the OM-10.

As a matter of fact that's exactly what's wrong with it. Holy cow, 1.2 mp? That's some super detail!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I agree about the old camera picture. But it could even be better if you'd just desaturate the green bench on the right. I think it is just screaming for my eyes' attention and it would let the eyes stay on the camera if it was desaturated. Great shot!

wreckdiver1321

Thanks everybody!

I agree about the old camera picture. But it could even be better if you'd just desaturate the green bench on the right. I think it is just screaming for my eyes' attention and it would let the eyes stay on the camera if it was desaturated. Great shot!

Thanks! I didn't notice that until you said something, but honestly I've messed with it in LR and it's equally distracting to me either way. I'll keep that kind of thing in mind when looking through the viewfinder from now on!