Wedding Photography a Dying Industry?

Browncoat

It has nothing to do with the economy. There are people out there paying a lot more money than this for their wedding photos. Right now, this very minute, someone is writing a fat check.

Pricing...and this is a universal lesson in economics...is about perceived value. If what you have to offer is what I perceive to be a fair cost, then I will buy what you're selling. The trick with pricing is to appeal to a mass number of individual perceptions of value. Businesses must charge a fair price while still making a profit. Different people will abandon their general rule of value for different reasons such as:

Convenience - The item costs more here, but I'm in a hurry.
Dislike for others - I pay more at Store A because I don't like shopping at Store B
Loyalty - It may be cheaper at Store C, but I've always shopped at Store A

Photography is a service industry. Yes, we're offering a physical product that we manufacture so to speak, but it is still a service. Photographers as a whole have devalued themselves because they are trying to compete on price, not value. Most of us here know the difference between a pro photographer, and cousin Tim with "one of them there fancy picture clickin' machines". Honestly, I think most consumers do too. But from what I've seen, read, and heard, there's a lot of pro photographers out there who take great photos...but are stupid when it comes to running a business.

If pros continue to try and sell on price instead of service and value, they're going to go out of business. It's really that simple.

naja

Eduard

Sorry I did not mean you were after cheap, I wanted to comment how couples spend a fortune on the Cake and the meal and venue, and then think the photographer should be almost free!!

It is difficult for me to comment price wise because I am in the UK, but my cheapest is £500 (around $750) and I go up to £1,000 (around $1500) That includes and album and five photographs, the rest they have to pay for individually. I also charge extra for covering the evening event. My prices are for time that ends after the speeches and cake cutting (sometime simulated for convenience) However they all do get a couple of pre wedding shots as I like to meet up with them and take shots before the wedding day to see how they react and to get them to feel more relaxed with me taking their photograph.

I hope this might help a little, but as I said it could be very different in Uk from US.

Best wishes

Nigel

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope this might help a little, but as I said it could be very different in Uk from US.

Nigel:

The famous quote comes to mind that the UK and US are, "two nations divided by a common language." I appreciate your input in the discussion. I don't think your experiences are very different than what goes on here.

Ed

Curt

I know it is a bit of a cop out to blame it on the economy, and I do not do photography for a living. However both my wife & myself are self employed and do find things slower right now. I do agree that with digital photography it is easier to get good results (software).
But as others have stated: it’s the person behind the camera. I think you are always going to have people that have money and are willing to spend it on a professional photographer. But you are also going to find a lot of people that want to save money and ask uncle Bob with the nice Nikon camera to take their wedding pictures (been there).

ohkphoto

Snow White
Well put, Curt. I have friends in other service industries and they also have noticed things are slower.

I think you are always going to have people that have money and are willing to spend it on a professional photographer. But you are also going to find a lot of people that want to save money and ask uncle Bob with the nice Nikon camera to take their wedding pictures (been there).

Have also been seeing more of that.

Browncoat

You have to think of it this way...

If I own a Ferrari dealership, my target audience is not going to be the same as a Ford dealership. Just as Wal-Mart does not cater to the same demographic as Macy's. Likewise, couples who are looking for a budget wedding are not in the same market for professional photographers. The difference is, many pro photogs don't seem to realize that.

fotojack

After reading all this, you guys are gonna hate me! Before I even knew about this web site, one of the ladies I work with at the motorcycle track in the summer asked me if I would shoot her wedding this coming June. I was totally surprised, and naturally I was flattered. She had seen a lot of the motorcycle shots I had taken and was evidently impressed. So I said sure, I'd love to do it. She then asked me what I would charge. I said I couldn't charge because I wasn't a pro wedding photographer, and I had never done a wedding before. So I said if you like what I shot at the wedding, she could decide what they wanted to pay me. I'm guessing she'll most likely pay me something, but I don't really know at this point what amount. Seriously, I don't care what they pay me. I'm just going to enjoy the experience of doing a wedding for the first time! :)

Ruidoso Bill

"Seriously, I don't care what they pay me. I'm just going to enjoy the experience of doing a wedding for the first time!"

I can tell you this much, it is a difficult and demanding shoot. What is your strategy for delivery, are you just putting the images on cd and let her print?

You will have shoot time, photo editing time Plus anything else they talk you into..

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Jack, you are doomed

Jack, I suggest you use one of those motorcycles for a quick getaway LOL :D

Just joking, as long as your bride doesn't turn into a "bridezilla", it's a good way to get your "feet wet" to see if this is something you want to venture into.

Ruidoso Bill

Jack, I suggest you use one of those motorcycles for a quick getaway LOL :D

Just joking, as long as your bride doesn't turn into a "bridezilla", it's a good way to get your "feet wet" to see if this is something you want to venture into.

I'll take the Harley, never have I successfully taken a picture of a woman that she liked, I'm thinking HDR may be the ticket... Make them all look like avatar.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Jack, just be careful when they make it sound like they're giving you things like free food at the reception (you won't have time to eat) free place for your blow up bed (you won't have time to sleep) etc etc...

Nathanael

Hi friends i just want to say you about wedding photographer that they are professionaly trained and experience holder persons because now the days the photography trend is becoming very popular and most common to hire photographers on their weddings and make photos anyways this is a big field of photography i have only this little information...

Along the lines of recent discussions, check out this article.

With digital making it easier for amateurs to break into the photography industry, many pros now feel the market is saturated, driving down prices and quality. In the article, a 15-year pro confesses that he might as well close up shop because he will never work as a full time photographer again.

What are your thoughts?

• Is the wedding photography industry changing?
  • Will the digital age change photography forever?
  • More photographers in the market a good thing?

Technology will never trump vision & skill.