Testing the VR on the Nikkor 200-500mm lens

Blacktop

Looks like my iFocus is broken.

_DSC0945.jpg

Elliot87

Given that it is shot on the same camera. the D750 and the D7100 shots are night and day. This lens will live on my D750.

In what way does your experience differ between the D750 and D7100 with this lens? Is it IQ where the big difference is or focus speed, or is it both?
I'm extremely pleased with how this lens has performed on my D7100 so far so if it can be much better on other bodies I look forward to my future with this lens. Maybe on a D500 in a couple of years.

Blacktop

In what way does your experience differ between the D750 and D7100 with this lens? Is it IQ where the big difference is or focus speed, or is it both?
I'm extremely pleased with how this lens has performed on my D7100 so far so if it can be much better on other bodies I look forward to my future with this lens. Maybe on a D500 in a couple of years.

On a perfect day, when conditions are just right for the kind of shooting that I do, The D7100 is no slouch with this lens. I have taken some really nice shots with this combo.
Lower the light somewhat (not talking about darkness here, just throw a few clouds overhead and the difference becomes clear.)
Faster focus locking on subjects (birds), keeping focus track and a much better clean high ISO capability.

Here is a shot at 6400 ISO with a very overcast day. i would have had to toss this if it was taken with the D7100.

Ten Thousand Island Bird Sanctuary.jpg

I'm not saying I didn't have to use NR because I did and it is not my idea of a good shot, but since this was the only shot at this bird refuge that came close to being a keeper, I kept it.
This ISO 6400 shot is an ISO 1600 shot on the D7100.

Also don't forget, that I handhold this lens so I always need a high shutter speed. Otherwise if it's a clear sunny day out at low ISO's The D750 is not that much different than the D7100.

Last edited:

Elliot87

That makes sense and when the sun isn't shining I do wish I could go beyond 1600 iso which I also feel is about the limit with the D7100. My next body will probably be a D500 but that won't be for a couple of years at least.

Blacktop

That makes sense and when the sun isn't shining I do wish I could go beyond 1600 iso which I also feel is about the limit with the D7100. My next body will probably be a D500 but that won't be for a couple of years at least.

I thought about it as well, but I just can't justify it, unless I get a huge raise at work. (not likely)
If I wanted a D500 I would have to let the D750 go.

Elliot87

I bought the D7100 a year ago knowing that I'd keep it as my main body for at least 3 years. I don't expect the D500 to drop much in price as by all accounts I've seen so far it is a fantastic camera but if the finances are there I will have one eventually. I think if I already had a body like the D750 that can handle high ISO's very well I'd be less inclined to get one.