Testing the VR on the Nikkor 200-500mm lens

Blacktop

Did a few hundred shots today with the D750 and the D7100. I don't know if I should start a new thread or put them in the "birds/BIF thread or the 200-500mm thread. Here is the first one I processed.
Not much cropping.
I also upped my shutterspeed to 1/200th. I usually shoot birds/bif at 1/1600th with the 70-300. I figure 1/2000th wouldn't hurt. I also keep the VR on set on "sports" mode shooting AF-C

I will see next time I go out how it is with VR all the way off ,like I used to shoot.

_DSC0755-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Blacktop

Fantastic shot. Does 500mm seem soft compared to 400 or 300?

No, this lens will shoot pretty much the same and wide open to boot. Of course this is my full day with this lens and have not yet had a chance to try out all different scenarios, but from what I've been reading during my research that took months, is pretty much what I experienced today.
I am more than thrilled right now. Another thing is that I did not experience any focus hunting yet. It wasn't a real bright sunny day out, but it wasn't badly overcast either.

Rick M

I think you guys will find that the Nikon at 500mm is superior to the Tamron at 600mm, looking forward to your assessments!

mauckcg

No, this lens will shoot pretty much the same and wide open to boot. Of course this is my full day with this lens and have not yet had a chance to try out all different scenarios, but from what I've been reading during my research that took months, is pretty much what I experienced today.
I am more than thrilled right now. Another thing is that I did not experience any focus hunting yet. It wasn't a real bright sunny day out, but it wasn't badly overcast either.
I'm looking forward to more of your experiences with the lens.

mikew_RIP

I think you guys will find that the Nikon at 500mm is superior to the Tamron at 600mm, looking forward to your assessments!

The general conclusion would appear to be @ 500mm same subject same situation there is not a lot in the IQ,obviously the Tamron drops @600mm so if cost and weight are not important the 200-500 cropped could be the better choice,where the Nikon is well ahead is focus speed and VR.

Blacktop

The general conclusion would appear to be @ 500mm same subject same situation there is not a lot in the IQ,obviously the Tamron drops @600mm so if cost and weight are not important the 200-500 cropped could be the better choice,where the Nikon is well ahead is focus speed and VR.

Given that it is shot on the same camera. the D750 and the D7100 shots are night and day. This lens will live on my D750.

Blacktop, we will have to do a couple of tests next week. Same settings on both cameras. You with your 200-500 and me with the Tamron 150-600 both on our D750 and set to 500mm. Shoot the same subject at the same time. Probably be the best way to see what the difference really is. I can then shoot at 600 and you crop to match. This will help me make a decision when I get ready to buy a super long later on down the road.

Blacktop

Blacktop, we will have to do a couple of tests next week. Same settings on both cameras. You with your 200-500 and me with the Tamron 150-600 both on our D750 and set to 500mm. Shoot the same subject at the same time. Probably be the best way to see what the difference really is. I can then shoot at 600 and you crop to match. This will help me make a decision when I get ready to buy a super long later on down the road.

we must do it on a tripod to eliminate any movement.

Blacktop

I Have an announcement!! (No I didn't pre order a D500)

My arms are tired. Spent hours playing with this thing.
Zooming in and out, in and out. I held in in my left hand ,held it in my right hand.
Felt good, felt solid.

Danno

I Have an announcement!! (No I didn't pre order a D500)

My arms are tired. Spent hours playing with this thing.
Zooming in and out, in and out. I held in in my left hand ,held it in my right hand.
Felt good, felt solid.
Look at the up side that money you save on the gym membership because of carrying the beast will pay for the Next lens

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk