Testing the VR on the Nikkor 200-500mm lens

Blacktop

Even if its with the collar it still leaves it too heavy for me as i need the collar for my Black Rapid strap

After shooting it some more, I'm finding the the best way, is to have the collar facing up, and when walking around, hold the lens by the collar.

mikew_RIP

I used to that with the 120-400 but the arthritis started kicking in so i changed to the BR , to be honest most of the time i dont notice the weight carrying its just when i come to hold it up for a shot.

Kevin H

After shooting it some more, I'm finding the the best way, is to have the collar facing up, and when walking around, hold the lens by the collar.

I carry my D7100 and sigma 150-500 by the collar too but in my left hand with the Black Rapid that way it comes right up to my eye with out changing hands :D

Blacktop

Ok gentlemen, I'm off to get ready for work. I will be back in about 12 hours and then off to test this thing out on some flying critters Saturday morning.

I am still wondering how the lighter Tamron 150-600 will be to carry and shoot. Renting it so I will find out it is is more than I want to carry around. It is getting here on Monday so I have a couple of days to play with it before I head south. I have a monopod so will check to see it it is more trouble than it is worth for shooting. Pretty sure a tripod just would not work for BIF since you really need to be more mobile. Either way I can't wait to get to Lakeland and start shooting.

Kevin H

I am still wondering how the lighter Tamron 150-600 will be to carry and shoot. Renting it so I will find out it is is more than I want to carry around. It is getting here on Monday so I have a couple of days to play with it before I head south. I have a monopod so will check to see it it is more trouble than it is worth for shooting. Pretty sure a tripod just would not work for BIF since you really need to be more mobile. Either way I can't wait to get to Lakeland and start shooting.

I'll carry it and give you my 55-300 for the day :D

Blacktop

Well you already have the Sigma 150-500 LOL

I also have the Nikon 70-300. I have gotten used to carrying it around all day.

Here is a comparison between the 70-300 and the 200-500. I think the Tammy might be a little skinnier being f/6.3 but it is a 100mm longer. So they might be the same size.

_DSC0489.jpg

mikew_RIP

Here is a comparison between the 70-300 and the 200-500. I think the Tammy might be a little skinnier being f/6.3 but it is a 100mm longer. So they might be the same size.

View attachment 197838

Thats interesting,i had put the Nikon in my mind as being thicker and heavier but not considered it possibly being shorter,if its shorter on the body of the lens not just the hood it could make it a bit easier for me to handle.

Blacktop

Thats interesting,i had put the Nikon in my mind as being thicker and heavier but not considered it possibly being shorter,if its shorter on the body of the lens not just the hood it could make it a bit easier for me to handle.

Doesn't your local camera shop has one in stock you could try out?

Blacktop

@480sparky made a post comparing the two. According to him the IQ is about the same. The focus is better on the 200-500(less hunting in darker areas) the VR is outstanding(I can testify to that) and it is a constant f/5.6 where you can use a 1.4TC if needed. I would personally rather not use one, but it is good to know that you have that capability