Snaphappy's 2014 project 365

snaphappy

Thanx Wendy and Pat :)
Last night I got out and tried some shots I haven't tried before. Night cityscapes
DSC_3473.jpg DSC_3475.jpg DSC_3476.jpg
I used my 24-120mm since I haven't tried out this location before and wasn't sure what I'd need. Getting a sharp sharp is nearly impossible standing on a HWY bridge with semis bouncing and vibrating not to mention the trains passing underneath but gave me a good vantage point. Might try it again when we have a nice sky

snaphappy

Happy 147th Canada
This was the real reason I was standing out on a bridge waiting for it to get dark. The cityscapes were my fiddling and setting up shots as I waited for the fireworks. Once the fireworks start you don't have much chance for fiddling and adjustments or you miss the show. I did zoom in and out as it went on and did change iso and aperture as it darkened
DSC_3488.jpg DSC_3490.jpg DSC_3496.jpg DSC_3502.jpg DSC_3503.jpg DSC_3504.jpg DSC_3517.jpg DSC_3518.jpg DSC_3519.jpg DSC_3520.jpg DSC_3527.jpg DSC_3534.jpg DSC_3536.jpg DSC_3541.jpg

Vixen

Thanx Wendy and Pat :)
Last night I got out and tried some shots I haven't tried before. Night cityscapes

I used my 24-120mm since I haven't tried out this location before and wasn't sure what I'd need. Getting a sharp sharp is nearly impossible standing on a HWY bridge with semis bouncing and vibrating not to mention the trains passing underneath but gave me a good vantage point. Might try it again when we have a nice sky

Sorta assuming you had a tripod for these shots and I know they say NOT to us IS/VR on a tripod but if you have a lot of trucks etc going past and rumbling, I wonder if you CAN use IS/VR in that situation?

Love your fireworks shots BTW. Worth going out for :D

snaphappy

Hmm I wonder about that Vixen I might have to try VR on next time and see what happens. It might help with the vibration of the big trucks rumbling past. I found the wind from passing annoying since it only blurred a small area of the trees which looks weird. The other side of the bridge was calling me so will likely shot north next time :) I'll definitely add that to my must try list Vixen

snaphappy

Fugly birds
Lots of photos this guy since every time I'm setting up shots lately he's right there thumping and getting far far far too close. I have to check often to be sure he's not about to jump on me it's too hot for roast turkey :)
DSC_3781.jpg DSC_3791.jpg
DSC_3793.jpg DSC_3974.jpg
Crazy how he can change his ugly head colours and so quickly from pure white to blue to red and all sorts of variations in between. They're fugly :)

Also a fugly Turken hen on a mission to catch grasshoppers
DSC_4130.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_3790.jpg
    DSC_3790.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

snaphappy

Playing with B&W to try saving some moments with bad lighting conditions
Snuggles
DSC_3604.jpg

Center of attention
The kiss
DSC_4309.jpg

The look
DSC_4312.jpg

A quiet moment
DSC_4316.jpg
Looked out window and saw youngest climbing up fence in horse shelter in the middle of the 3 horses. Horrendous lighting, terrible foreground and I was shooting from about 150ft (45m). If they knew I was watching the moment would have been lost so shot best I could then tried cropping and B&W. I liked the soft gentleness.
(we had a refresher discussion on safety around horses after this!! even the horses were aware this wasn't a good idea!)

Last edited:

snaphappy

Wildfire smoke has made for interesting evening skies
1st evening of overhanging smoke and the sun setting over hay field
DSC_4591.jpg
Pink moon rise
DSC_4631.jpg

working hard
DSC_4639.jpg

Orange moon
DSC_4647.jpg

Thicker smoke another night made for more interesting sunsetting as sun descended through the thickest layer of hanging smoke and then a very pink moon rise
DSC_4668.jpg DSC_4694.jpg DSC_4711.jpg DSC_4726.jpg

Last edited:

Michael J.

Wildfire smoke has made for interesting evening skies
1st evening of overhanging smoke and the sun setting over hay field
View attachment 101062
Pink moon rise
View attachment 101066

working hard
View attachment 101067

Orange moon
View attachment 101068

Thicker smoke another night made for more interesting sunsetting as sun descended through the thickest layer of hanging smoke and then a very pink moon rise
View attachment 101063 View attachment 101069 View attachment 101064 View attachment 101065

No photos to see

snaphappy

Hope it's fixed now Michael
Super hot lately so been hosing critters down to help cool them off
DSC_4197.jpg
First thing to do after a bath is of course roll in the dust and dirt until completely filthy

DSC_4278.jpg

nikonpup

fugly birds
lots of photos this guy since every time i'm setting up shots lately he's right there thumping and getting far far far too close. I have to check often to be sure he's not about to jump on me it's too hot for roast turkey :)
View attachment 100320 View attachment 100321
View attachment 100316 View attachment 100317
crazy how he can change his ugly head colours and so quickly from pure white to blue to red and all sorts of variations in between. They're fugly :)

also a fugly turken hen on a mission to catch grasshoppers
View attachment 100318
looked up "fugly" in the urban dictionary. :)

snaphappy

Today smoke got heavier its hot dry and there's no escaping the burning smell of campfire
This evening I played with the layers of smoke and tried some new to me long exposures
DSC_4777.jpg DSC_4780.jpg

Same spot I took some fireworks shots from and whole city was visible
DSC_4787.jpg

Liked shooting this more when it was -35C and steaming rather than +35C and covered in chaking smoke
DSC_4817.jpg

The usual culprit of bad smell and cloud in town (pulp mill)
DSC_4835.jpg

Meeting of the rivers below
DSC_4842.jpg DSC_4845.jpg

Tryi8ng out light trails for first time. Got kids to sit on guard rail but sitting still long enough was just not possible :)
DSC_4850.jpg

The city of Prince George below
DSC_4869.jpg

Not sure which of these I most liked
DSC_4872.jpg DSC_4877.jpg

More light trails as kids patiently waited for me
DSC_4885.jpg

Last edited: