Snaphappy's 2014 project 365

snaphappy

Grand opening ceremonies
DSC_2478.jpg

Baby chick up in nest above the doorway
DSC_2492.jpg

Considering biosecurity measures already in place with only one little tank filled with babies I don't think they'll offer many tours after today
DSC_2493.jpg

Very loud water filter
DSC_2497.jpg

Millions of bacteria to clean the water
DSC_2505.jpg

Babies in the tank
DSC_2509.jpg DSC_2513.jpg

Darker but I think better shots of the nearly mature sturgeon out in bigger tank
DSC_2521.jpg DSC_2523.jpg

How they transport
DSC_2590.jpg DSC_2592.jpg
learning a bit more
DSC_2603.jpg DSC_2605.jpg

Kids out of school with teachers on strike but well learning new things not hard on the eyes
DSC_2619.jpg
Cedar waxwing outside the building (amazing a tree with leaves!)
DSC_2638.jpg

Vixen

Juvenile white sturgeon nearing 30yrs old 120-160lbs (55-72.5 kgs)
View attachment 95924 View attachment 95925 View attachment 95926
There is 4 in the little pool for todays grand opening of the conservation centre. These were caught in the river and not quite mature enough for breeding so they're keeping for next year. They had them out for public viewing in a tank but lighting horrid hard too see. Wow they are big! One was at least 7ft long (2m) the other 3 slightly smaller
On Father's Day a 19yr old and his Father were on fishing trip from Georgia USA and caught 400kg (880lb) 10ft (3m) white sturgeon which they figure has been in the river since about when Canada became a country. Largest ever caught in our river was 20ft (6m)
Amazing like giant dinosaurs :)

Wow!! That is quite amazing. I never knew they got that big or that old.

snaphappy

Neither did I Vixen. I knew they got big but really didn't know much about them at all. They look like prehistoric creatures with their gator like heads and long spiky bodies. There are other types of sturgeon but the white have particularly been hard hit by dams etc and are now critically endangered.

snaphappy

It was hot and sunny late afternoon but put on my Cpol to see what i could do
DSC_2641.jpg DSC_2644.jpg
Not sure which is better I keep changing my mind mostly I needed different light :)

DSC_2648.jpg

DSC_2649.jpg

A few cars
DSC_2742.jpg

Last edited:

wthorson

It looks like a great place to visit, keep taking shots of your area. AND BEAUTIFUL sunset. Handheld???? WOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snaphappy

This little one has used up at least 3 lives now and its only 3days old
Last to hatch and only one with a crest it got trampled and then the head fluff nearly ripped right off Yuck. I nursed it all evening and tucked it in with mom and siblings. Next day fine all day but at supper kid comes in with a dead looking duck and big tears. The head was a horrible mess, the duckling looked dead ugh. I nursed it all evening and unbelievably that duckling survived!! I've never had a duckling be picked on before and I don't understand what happened. Anyways, duckling is in the house now and tonight at 72hrs old little duck had a wander in the yard with me. Scout really really wanted me to look away for even a second it was hard for him to not snack
DSC_2912.jpg

DSC_2977.jpg

DSC_2985.jpg

snaphappy

I usually prefer colour but sometimes B&W just works better Thanx
Today is Lucy and her brood in a little shower
DSC_3017.jpg DSC_3019.jpg DSC_3027.jpg DSC_3031.jpg
Really overcast today so used my sb-700 to add some life to their eyes. She had all 9 of them tucked in there. I had to keep my distance so papa didn't attack and so I didn't disturb her

snaphappy

It looks like a great place to visit, keep taking shots of your area. AND BEAUTIFUL sunset. Handheld???? WOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx Wendy. Hubby was on that plane so we pulled over in the truck and waited as it came in. I did long exposure to get the streaks and it actually worked for me! but staying steady in a vehicle with 3 excited kids is not easy :) I LOVE that it is still light out at 10:30pm! I underexposed this so the streaks and lights would show up better.