Shutter failure on my D750 this morning.

Blacktop

This "shutter issue" was not an issue with the shutter but with the placement of (IIRC) part of the AF system. It caused shading in extreme lighting conditions. This was not an actual issue with the shutter mechanism.

With that said, I'm with those who stated that the excess dust you cleaned this morning could likely be shutter bits from whatever failed. Whatever you do, do not mention that you cleaned the sensor this morning.

To initiate service go here... Nikon Service and Repair

Thanks Jake. I did not mention anything other than describing the problem. I already filled out the online service order and will be shipping it off as soon as the UPS store opens either Monday or Tuesday.

I hope that this is just an isolated incident and no one here will be affected by this. The only thing I'm mad about is that crap like this always happens when you actually need the thing.
I was sooo looking forward to the M&G in Florida. I'll get to shoot birds that are not found here in TN and birds that are easy to get close to.
Oh well, at least I'll meet some folks from the forum and still shoot my D7100 with the 200-500 attached.

Thanks Jake. I did not mention anything other than describing the problem. I already filled out the online service order and will be shipping it off as soon as the UPS store opens either Monday or Tuesday.

I hope that this is just an isolated incident and no one here will be affected by this. The only thing I'm mad about is that crap like this always happens when you actually need the thing.
I was sooo looking forward to the M&G in Florida. I'll get to shoot birds that are not found here in TN and birds that are easy to get close to.
Oh well, at least I'll meet some folks from the forum and still shoot my D7100 with the 200-500 attached.

So are you flying or driving down? With all the driving you do all the time I am betting Flying.

dh photography

Hate to hear about the D750, Pete! That definitely blows, but I do wish I was driving down with you for the M&G!! Maybe I'll run into some folks when I'm on the gulf again this May?

$10 bucks says driving if you win meet us there I'll pay you :D

that is a long 8 hour drive but I guess he is really used to it. It is a 7 1/2 hour drive for me and one reason I can't go. Wife is doing a maternity leave teaching job for a friend of hers so no backup driver. $300 for airfare plus rental car for several days is more than she will let me spend without her along LOL

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
That stinks Pete! I just now saw a solution or two to your dilemma, however. Don is 7 1/2 hours from the M&G and you are 8 or so, so he must be between you and the M&G. Just stop by and pick up his D750 to use while you are in FL. :encouragement: I'm sure he won't mind and probably won't be using it anyway. ::what::

Solution two: Rent one.

Blacktop

That stinks Pete! I just now saw a solution or two to your dilemma, however. Don is 7 1/2 hours from the M&G and you are 8 or so, so he must be between you and the M&G. Just stop by and pick up his D750 to use while you are in FL. :encouragement: I'm sure he won't mind and probably won't be using it anyway. ::what::

Solution two: Rent one.

That's ok, I'm just going to have to suffer and make due with a D7100. No one said life is going to be easy.:)

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
That's ok, I'm just going to have to suffer and make due with a D7100. No one said life is going to be easy.:)

Life can really throw you some curves, but usually friends will step up to the plate to help out. Saying that, I'm surprised that [MENTION=6277]Don Kuykendall[/MENTION] hasn't offered his D750 yet. Ha!

RocketCowboy

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and your D7100 has been feeling left out.

Sorry to hear, but hopefully it works out quick and painless. With some big pro bodies being announced, hopefully they aren't going to grow a sour customer service reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TieuNgao

I didn't realize there was a recall for this. I remember the first one and according to the serial # mine was not affected. Could you link to this second recall please?

There were 2 recalls, the first one was in January, the second one was in July 2015 (see figure attached). The title of the 2nd recall "issues regarding shading in images" may be confusing but it also said: "Once your D750 camera is received by Nikon, your D750 camera’s shutter will be examined and replaced." and that's what happened to my camera. Here's the link:
Service Advisory

NikonRecallD750.jpg

Bill16

Sorry to hear that Dolly is down buddy. I'm also sorry to hear how bad you treat Emmylou.lol;)

I hope you get Dolly back fast Pete, with a free fix my friend.:)

mikew_RIP

Yes your gonna be pi$$ed off,here is Nikons chance to shine,if it was the UK i doubt they would,hoping its better for you over there.

Blacktop

Yes your gonna be pi$$ed off,here is Nikons chance to shine,if it was the UK i doubt they would,hoping its better for you over there.

I'm over it already. There is nothing I can do. There is no camera made by any other brand besides Nikon, that even comes close to the D750 for my needs. . I am not at all pissed about the fact that the camera took a shit. Anything can break. I'm just not looking forward to dealing with their customer service based on the horror stories that I've heard.

Who knows. Maybe I'll send it in, they'll replace the shutter and send it back to me without a fuss.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I'm over it already. There is nothing I can do. There is no camera made by any other brand besides Nikon, that even comes close to the D750 for my needs. . I am not at all pissed about the fact that the camera took a shit. Anything can break. I'm just not looking forward to dealing with their customer service based on the horror stories that I've heard.

Thats one reason why i stick with my local dealer,i wouldn't even pack the camera up,just take it to him,let him sort it.

Blacktop

Sorry to hear that Dolly is down buddy. I'm also sorry to hear how bad you treat Emmylou.lol;)

I hope you get Dolly back fast Pete, with a free fix my friend.:)

I don't treat her bad. She's a country girl who likes it rough.:)
Besides, my problem is less than miniscule next to what you're going through. Take care of yourself bud!