Post your low light long exposures

J-see

_DSC2589.jpg

Allan LJ

Night shots are personal favorites of mine but this is only the second time I have managed to get it out myself.
Hopefully once I get used to my new d5200, I'll be able to get better low light results than on the d3000 used for this shot.
img_201501230044412330.jpg

J-see

Night shots are personal favorites of mine but this is only the second time I have managed to get it out myself.
Hopefully once I get used to my new d5200, I'll be able to get better low light results than on the d3000 used for this shot.

The D5200 will do fine for night shots. The advantage is that unless our subject moves at night, we got all the time in the world to let the light seep in.

J-see

Not the best weather to shoot. I had to return earlier than I expected. Something in the dark scared the living hell out of my dog and she had only one thing in mind: hooooome.

Two shots; one processed normal and the other I had some fun with. Little else I could do with it. I didn't see the cables in the dark.

_DSC3295.jpg

_DSC3297-Edit.jpg

Allan LJ

The D5200 will do fine for night shots. The advantage is that unless our subject moves at night, we got all the time in the world to let the light seep in.

Yes plenty of time, but hopefully the newer processor will cut down on the waiting time after the exposure :)

J-see

Yes plenty of time, but hopefully the newer processor will cut down on the waiting time after the exposure :)

You're still going to wait as long after the exposure as the exposure lasted. That's noise reduction; it takes a "black" shot with the same shutter time to subtract noise.

Scott Murray

Yes plenty of time, but hopefully the newer processor will cut down on the waiting time after the exposure

You're still going to wait as long after the exposure as the exposure lasted. That's noise reduction; it takes a "black" shot with the same shutter time to subtract noise.
I turn both long exposure NR and High ISO NR off in camera, this will stop the waiting time. With a 20-30sec exposure on my D800e I can shoot continuous 30sec exposures while shooting lightning etc (Well until the buffer fills up). But I do have it down to a fine art so there are no missed shots.

J-see

I turn both long exposure NR and High ISO NR off in camera, this will stop the waiting time. With a 20-30sec exposure on my D800e I can shoot continuous 30sec exposures while shooting lightning etc (Well until the buffer fills up). But I do have it down to a fine art so there are no missed shots.

I tried without the reduction but my shots were pretty noisy. It might have been a coincidence but since I shoot with it enabled.

I have my dogs with me at night so it matters less that the cam is busy since the dogs keep me busy too.