Piperbarb's 2014 Project 365

grandpaw

I don't know why but I'm just finding out about your loss. You will be in my prayes and hope that things will get a little easier in time.

piperbarb

1-21-14:

It was really cold out. It never made it to 11 degrees F. Tonight it's going to be in the negatives. YIKES!! With that in mind, I thought this was appropriate. It's a little dark but if I lighten it, the detail disappears.

Snow Holes
021 Snow-140121_01.jpg

WhiteLight

Hey Barbara.. am so so so sorry to read about this... I haven't really been online as much off late & just happened to read this.. My deepest condolences to you.. i hope you find the strength to tide over this extremely difficult situation. My thoughts & prayers & wishes are always with you Barb :(

piperbarb

1-22-14:

It finally made it above zero F. WooHoo! Even the birds came out of hiding for a while. :) The sky was such a beautiful, crystal clear blue, even if it was just above zero.

This little guy has a sunflower seed between his feet. If you look closely, you will see part of the actual seed kernel in his mouth. In the second photo, he's digging out the rest of the kernel out of the seed hull.
022 Chickadee-140122-01_01.jpg

022 Chickadee-140122-02_01.jpg

I saw these ice crystals along a drainage ditch today. At first, I thought they looked like feathers, then realized that they look more like frozen, crystallized fern fronds. Very cool (no pun intended), in either case.

Ice Fronds
022 Ice Crystals-140122_01.jpg

Alan

1-22-14:

It finally made it above zero F. WooHoo! Even the birds came out of hiding for a while. :) The sky was such a beautiful, crystal clear blue, even if it was just above zero.

This little guy has a sunflower seed between his feet. If you look closely, you will see part of the actual seed kernel in his mouth. In the second photo, he's digging out the rest of the kernel out of the seed hull.

I saw these ice crystals along a drainage ditch today. At first, I thought they looked like feathers, then realized that they look more like frozen, crystallized fern fronds. Very cool (no pun intended), in either case.

Ice Fronds

Nice shots. We made it up to +8 today. :cool:

Just-Clayton

Nice shots. I'm just a few miles down the road and It hit a whopping 10 today, with a slight wind chill. Working in it all day isn't fun. I just pretend I'm in the Bahamas.

piperbarb

1-23-14:

While running around doing all those things one has to do, but does not want to, I saw this ice blob. I is the result of a dripping outside spigot.

Ice Sculpture
023 Ice Blob-140123_01.jpg

snaphappy

Oh a dripping spigot would drive me crazy but it made a very interesting blob :) Wow you guys are getting all the cold this year! Its a very warm but dreary white +2C (in american that's 33 or so). Nice wearing hoodies instead of winter jackets though :)

piperbarb

Just a note to everyone. I am back, after a very long week, and an even longer weekend. I want to thank everyone's care and thoughts. It means a lot to me. Thank you, everyone.

piperbarb

1-24-14:

While going through some of my husband's art work with my brother in-law, I came across a project he never finished because that was when he was starting to get the head and neck pain and could not longer paint or crow for more than a few minutes.

Gary loved to paint space and astronomical scenes. The final product was almost always oil on canvas, but I thought the process was always interesting. The three photos below show some of the steps he would go through to get that final painting. These are not the greatest photos, but it was late on Friday, I was trying to get a poster together that honored Gary's life and achievement, and I was running on autopilot.

These were done in 1999 over a 6 - 8 month period.

Concept: Below is a pencil sketch of a space station/hotel/night club. Gary called it "Deco One."

Deco One Concept
024 Gary's Deco One-140124-01_01.jpg

Next was a more detailed and to scale perspective of the space station. After drawing it out, Gary cut it out so he could use it as a template for the final painting.

Deco One Template
024 Gary's Deco One-140124-02_01.jpg

The painting was never finished. The planet & moon in the background were taken from actual NASA photos. I cannot tell you what planetary bodies they are.

Oil on Canvas.
024 Gary's Deco One-140124-03_01.jpg

Last edited:

piperbarb

1-25-14:

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Opportunistic feline photo!!! :)

After the funeral, my brother in-law and I were just sitting in the kitchen, talking. Creature decided to take a sip from the kitchen faucet. Anyone who has cats knows this a more common than we want to admit. :)

Ah, Fresh is Best
025 Creature-140125_01.jpg

piperbarb

1-26-14:

This is the closed-for-winter carousel at Recreation Park in Binghamton. It was cold and windy yesterday when I took this. It was one of those times where you hop out of the car, take a quick photo, and jump back into that nice warm vehicle.

Closed for the Season
026 Carousel-140126_01.jpg