New Forum

Woodyg3

Contributor
I would advice everyone to have a little patience. The new forum has a better layout and features. Yes, it will take us all a while to figure it out and get comfortable, and I totally understand that frustration. In the end, your online experience is going to be better. Think of it as growing pains. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I just created a new test account to see what happens when an email address is changed. @Needa mentioned running into this problem and required help to approve the new email address. It looks like this new forum generates an email confirmation that MUST be clicked to approve the change. Otherwise, your account can't be fully accessed. I will see if jdeg is able to turn that off and only require email verification for new users.

The email generated for the verification still came from the same address: [email protected]

Please make sure you add this email address to your whitelist (or allowlist or whatever it is called with your server). If you run into problems and aren't able to log in, the only option right now is to contact one of us through the Facebook page for Nikonites. Please make a note of this. The hiccup is you will need access to Facebook.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
How do you verify an email from [email protected] is being sent to your email address? Tks
There is an embedded link in the mail to click on that says Confirm your email. The link brings you back to this forum.

I misspoke earlier ... there were 2 emails generated. One sent to the new address requiring confirmation and the other to the old address as a head-up to notify of the change.

blackstar

JDeg would have to verify it by looking at the logs to see that it in fact went to your specific email address... and then if you DIDN'T get the email, it can be assumed that it got blocked somewhere between YOU and Nikonites
I think I have done everything I can including whitelisting [email protected] on yahoo mail server...
So... @blackstar You have in fact, received one or more emails from Nikonites?????
Surprised to hear you say so... When did I receive emails from nikonites? Before or after the new forum?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
.... When did I receive emails from nikonites? Before or after the new forum?
You'd only receive a confirmation email if you are a new user registering an account for the first time or if you are changing an existing email for an account that's already registered to something else. I asked jdeg if he'd consider turning off the latter. The forum will generate an email to the current address anyway so why have to validate a new email address.

blackstar

Wait. What? :unsure: Your email address on file isn't a yahoo address.
All my email accounts are served and provided by ATT and they use Yahoo Mail server.

You'd only receive a confirmation email if you are a new user registering an account for the first time or if you are changing an existing email for an account that's already registered to something else. I asked jdeg if he'd consider turning off the latter. The forum will generate an email to the current address anyway so why have to validate a new email address.
Sound like a myth for this email matter. I really don't like to change my email address for this forum...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
blackstar, I just sent you a PM with the email address that is on file for your account.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
All my email accounts are served and provided by ATT and they use Yahoo Mail server.

Sound like a myth for this email matter. I really don't like to change my email address for this forum...
Then you also need to make sure the Nikonites email didn't get caught in your ATT spam folder at the server.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you don't receive an email that a private message was sent via Nikonites, then something is definitely wrong on your end somewhere. Your account indicates you wish to receive an email notification for private messages.

blackstar

blackstar, I just sent you a PM with the email address that is on file for your account.
If you don't receive an email that a private message was sent via Nikonites, then something is definitely wrong on your end somewhere. Your account indicates you wish to receive an email notification for private messages.
I have not received an email notification for PM from nikonites. I wonder why it's wrong on my end. Is that because the email is sent out to my address and I don't receive it?

Ok, I see that I miss-typed my email address in the previous post that should be corrected as @att.net from @sbcglobal.net (don't think that matters)

AW, currently I still see many emails except nikonites coming to this email address that I used to receive nikonites emails before the forum was upgraded.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The only part of your email address is the att.net. I'm guessing the ATT email is being forwarded to the sbcglobal.net. You'd need to check both online servers and whitelist the Nikonites email address. The emails must be getting caught somewhere.

blackstar

The only part of your email address is the att.net. I'm guessing the ATT email is being forwarded to the sbcglobal.net. You'd need to check both online servers and whitelist the Nikonites email address. The emails must be getting caught somewhere.
Yes, that @att.net address is the one I registered for Nikonites. But I have other email addresses, some of them with @sbcglobal.net (the reason I miss-typed). All of them are served and provided by ATT. However, ATT uses Yahoo Mail server and they don't use or connect their own mail server. I may have to contact and check out with ATT for this matter.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, that @att.net address is the one I registered for Nikonites. But I have other email addresses, some of them with @sbcglobal.net (the reason I miss-typed). All of them are served and provided by ATT. However, ATT uses Yahoo Mail server and they don't use or connect their own mail server. I may have to contact and check out with ATT for this matter.
Does the sbcglobal.net sync directly with your email programs (such as your phone or computer)? If so, what about considering changing it?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
JDeg would have to verify it by looking at the logs to see that it in fact went to your specific email address... and then if you DIDN'T get the email, it can be assumed that it got blocked somewhere between YOU and Nikonites
Looking at blackstar's settings, the account has been set to receive emails so I'm assuming it was sent.

Fred Kingston

Looking at blackstar's settings, the account has been set to receive emails so I'm assuming it was sent.
That might not be exactly true... I would assume, as you have, that that would be accurate, but there may be a glitch in the way the email address was entered or some other little flaw that might be preventing the forum from actually "sending" an email for that account... The first step in tracing it would be to examine the outbound email logs and determine that it shows there as being sent... There seems to be some confusion on exactly what email address he's using... ;) I asked and he said SBSGlobal and now I see it's ATT.net and he's talking about Yahoo...

blackstar

Does the sbcglobal.net sync directly with your email programs (such as your phone or computer)? If so, what about considering changing it?
Confused! Changing what? Why?
On my Mac, I use the Mail app to manage and operate all my email accounts (att and Gmail...) I have dozen email addresses set under att account including sbcglobal.net and att.net. They are individual email accounts (addresses) and receive emails specifically addressed to each of them. That means emails sent to one of the att.net will not be received by any of the other att.net or sbcglobal.net. This is also the case with the email server setting. I had not changed anything on my system and my nikonites account concerning email settings before, during, and after the forum was upgraded. It's just when the forum was transferred to the new format (and after), I received no emails from nikonites anymore, as opposed to the regular receiving before.

... There seems to be some confusion on exactly what email address he's using... ;) I asked and he said SBSGlobal and now I see it's ATT.net and he's talking about Yahoo...
Sorry for making confusion. As previously posted, I mistyped att.net with sbcglobal.net. AW, it's att.net with my nikonites account. I also mentioned that my email provider ATT uses Yahoo's email server (because I whitelisted nikonites incoming email address as Cindy suggested). Hope this clears up a bit. AW, again none had changed on my system and my nikonites acc settings regarding email before, during, and after the forum was upgraded.