New D500: All Shots Blurry

Texas

I'm betting the D3400 was on "auto-iso". Fixes most all (forced aperture) metering issues while using reasonable shutter speeds.

The exposure info is all visible in the viewfinder before you hit the shutter release. No need to wait for an exif to find the problem.

Blade Canyon

After looking at your pics, the only error is that your ISO is too low! It doesn't show up in the EXIF data, but I am confident that is what's different between this and your first camera.

Here's a link to a Nikon page that tells you how to turn on Auto-ISO in the D500 menus:

https://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d500/functions/autoisocontrol.html

But I am willing to bet that if you simply push the ISO button on top of the camera and roll the front command wheel (in front of the shutter button) one click, it will turn on Auto-ISO. That's how it works on my D850.

Last edited:

bluegrassman

Thank you all very much. I think I failed to articulate what I was after, but several folks seemed to get that I couldn't understand why aperature priority worked so beautifully on my D3400 and essentially not at all (out of the box) on my D500. Obviously ignorance on my part, but thanks to those that stuck with me.

Several suggested ISO, but when someone indicated that the D3400 likely was auto iso (at least out of the box), that made sense to me. Going and setting auto ISO got everything working as expected. I am sure there are tradeoffs and clearly I have a lot to learn and there are other things to factor in, but at least now, I have some mechanism to get sharp photos without a lot of manual intervention. I want to definitely continue to learn, but I was going crazy, having spent that much money and feeling like I couldn't do the thing that gives me the most relief from anxiety.

I obviously have a lot to learn, but at least now I feel like I have some path forward.

Thank you for the suggestions.

With Respect,

mattie

Chris@sabor

My comment was in response to Chris.

I apologize if I was too blunt. You said in your original post that you had been shooting for 4 years. I and I think others assumed you had at least a basic understanding of exposure and were trying to help diagnose the problem you were having with insufficient info.

As the post went on it became obvious that you don't have a good grasp of proper exposure, thus my blunt comment meant with no disrespect. We all had to learn how to expose a photograph and many are still learning, including me. Good luck with your new camera. I think, in time you'll come to love it like me and many others.

Last edited:

Skwaz

Glad everything has clicked , this forum is wealth of information , enjoy your new camera and look forward to seeing some of yor shots

Blacktop

I'm betting the D3400 was on "auto-iso". Fixes most all (forced aperture) metering issues while using reasonable shutter speeds.

The exposure info is all visible in the viewfinder before you hit the shutter release. No need to wait for an exif to find the problem.

Pretty much was going to say the same thing, until I saw your post. :encouragement:

Blacktop

Thank you all very much. I think I failed to articulate what I was after, but several folks seemed to get that I couldn't understand why aperature priority worked so beautifully on my D3400 and essentially not at all (out of the box) on my D500. Obviously ignorance on my part, but thanks to those that stuck with me.

Several suggested ISO, but when someone indicated that the D3400 likely was auto iso (at least out of the box), that made sense to me. Going and setting auto ISO got everything working as expected. I am sure there are tradeoffs and clearly I have a lot to learn and there are other things to factor in, but at least now, I have some mechanism to get sharp photos without a lot of manual intervention. I want to definitely continue to learn, but I was going crazy, having spent that much money and feeling like I couldn't do the thing that gives me the most relief from anxiety.

I obviously have a lot to learn, but at least now I feel like I have some path forward.

With Respect,

mattie

I also love shooting birds and use a D500. Different lens but it doesn't really matter in this context. I have mine set on Aperture Priority as well and have AUTO ISO enabled. When you enable auto ISO, make sure you set your minimum shutterspeed high enough. I have mine set at 1/1600th which works for me.

Dawg Pics

@bluegrassman
(Oops, me and Blacktop posted about the same time)
Go into your menu with the camera icon. Scroll down to ISO sensitivity settings. Use the selector to arrow over to the right for more settings. Is it set on auto shutter speed? If so, it won't limit how low the shutter goes. You can set it to a minimum acceptable hand-held for your lens so that you won't get shake.
Maybe that will help solve the issue for you if you are using Auto ISO.

(I see you are satisifed after setting the auto ISO. Anyway, of you check this setting it will prevent some further problems down the road while useing auto ISO.)

Post some images, and let us know how you are doing.

Last edited:

Kevin H

With Respect,

mattie

Nobody on here wants to rip you a new one and glad you stayed around to figure it out "all is good" can't wait to see your pics of Birds:encouragement:
This is the most relaxed Forum I belong to I've met a few on here and not one from other forums

Last edited:

Texas

As a beginner, I used P a lot, adjusting the wheels to see what happened to the other parameters.

You can always put it in P and spin the wheels until your preferred A shows in the viewfinder, then if there's enough shutter speed you will get a useable picture.

i do understand the desire for A mode, I use it a lot to keep my cheap lenses in their good range.

Dawg Pics

As a beginner, I used P a lot, adjusting the wheels to see what happened to the other parameters.

You can always put it in P and spin the wheels until your preferred A shows in the viewfinder, then if there's enough shutter speed you will get a useable picture.

i do understand the desire for A mode, I use it a lot to keep my cheap lenses in their good range.

Is it just me? I have a helluva time using A or S modes. Exposure all over the place. I could use some tips.

Roy1961

Contributor
i am the same Carolyn, Manual all the time, never tried anything else. I am trying Slow shutter speed a bit more now (dark nights is driving this) lol

for the original poster, what i did to help me understand this (exposure triangle) was to read the exif data on other peoples pictures and i applied these, then i started varying them a little to see what changed. I went from black pics to whiter then blurry before it clicked. From using a D60 in auto mode to Manual on the D7000.

Its a journey we all had to take. Stick with it, you will reap the rewards soon.

egosbar

I use manual most of the time now. I thought maybe A or S might make my wildlife photography a little easier.

it will once you understand the exposure triangle and what your trying to do , plenty of youtube video online ive watche thousands of hours of videos to get to where i am now

egosbar

to get a clear shot you need to make sure your shooting technique is good , as a rule shoot the shutter at around what your focal length is on the lens times 1.5 for the crop sensor , so for instance if your shooting a shot at 300mm you need about 1/450 shutter as its really 450mm , when your shooting technique is good the vr allows you to shoot much slower shutters then focal length , i shot the 200-500 at 500mm so 750mm on the 500 at 1/125 and they were sharp but that is a lot of experience shooting

mikew_RIP

to get a clear shot you need to make sure your shooting technique is good , as a rule shoot the shutter at around what your focal length is on the lens times 1.5 for the crop sensor , so for instance if your shooting a shot at 300mm you need about 1/450 shutter as its really 450mm , when your shooting technique is good the vr allows you to shoot much slower shutters then focal length , i shot the 200-500 at 500mm so 750mm on the 500 at 1/125 and they were sharp but that is a lot of experience shooting

The basic idea of shutter speed = to focal length is a good starting point, i do however struggle to see the need in most cases to increase it due to sensor size, a 500mm lens is a 500mm lens on any sensor size its only the FOV that changes.
To explain my reasoning you put a 500mm lens on a FX OK I/500th as starting SS, now the center DX area of the FX sensor is seeing the same 500mm FOV the DX sensor would, do you increase your SS because of that.
Things are different if you take pixel density rather than sensor size into account, a DX sensor with a higher pixel density may require a pro-rata higher shutter speed.

Just my thoughts