New D3100 owners

Evodon84

Hello everyone. Just purchased a refurbed D3100 from adorama.com for $400! This will be my first DLSR and I'm super excited. Can't wait for it to show up!

stevebobb

I have a question i would like to put with some of the more experienced photographers out there...
My fundamental questions is this i also own a D3100 and its my first DSLR reading about it, the camera is supposed to be a Low end DSLR ? If i wanted to take photography up professionally, say as a wedding photographer, could i buy a reasonable lens and external Flash.....and of course alot of training, would it be possible to make professional photographs with a Low end DSLR But with a good Lens etc..........Or If one wants to take up Photography professionally has to buy an High end camera costing many hundreds of pounds more than the D3100??? Knowing that one had skills using Photoshop etc... I am just interested what the experienced photographers feel.. For one thing i certainly don't have a big budget to buy state of the art expensive lens and cameras, but wondered if its possible to get good results with even the most low end cameras, all being with some knowledge of photography thrown in too.. Sorry long winded question but i hope you understand my question!!

NikoleVirrey

Hello! I own a Nikon d3100 and it's screen doesn't turn up but the flash works and when I am pressing the shutter button it still have the same sound it makes when it was still working normally. The little green light at the bottom part still blinks though. I have tried removing and recharging the batteries and changed the lens but nothing happened. Please help me.

FordPrefect

Hello! I own a Nikon d3100 and it's screen doesn't turn up but the flash works and when I am pressing the shutter button it still have the same sound it makes when it was still working normally. The little green light at the bottom part still blinks though. I have tried removing and recharging the batteries and changed the lens but nothing happened. Please help me.

Your green light blinking to me sounds like a problem with your memory card. You have one inserted, to start with? Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but quite often it's the obvious that makes us fail :) If you have a card I would suggest to take it out and check with a pc whether it wokrs properly.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T mit Tapatalk 2

SteveH

I have a question i would like to put with some of the more experienced photographers out there...
My fundamental questions is this i also own a D3100 and its my first DSLR reading about it, the camera is supposed to be a Low end DSLR ? If i wanted to take photography up professionally, say as a wedding photographer, could i buy a reasonable lens and external Flash.....and of course alot of training, would it be possible to make professional photographs with a Low end DSLR But with a good Lens etc..........Or If one wants to take up Photography professionally has to buy an High end camera costing many hundreds of pounds more than the D3100??? Knowing that one had skills using Photoshop etc... I am just interested what the experienced photographers feel.. For one thing i certainly don't have a big budget to buy state of the art expensive lens and cameras, but wondered if its possible to get good results with even the most low end cameras, all being with some knowledge of photography thrown in too.. Sorry long winded question but i hope you understand my question!!

Hi Steve,
There are many with more experience than me here, but I will do my best to answer your question... You could start a thread in the D3100 forum if you want more answers as more people will se it.

My view, is that the D3100 takes great quality photos, in the right hands... Where it does fall down over the higher-end Pro models, is that it is not meant for the rigors of hard use. If a busy wedding phtographer used a D3100 as his main camera, he would soon be replacing it due to wear and tear. For an amateur / enthusiast, it will last for many years, but day-in-day-out, it would wear out (Especially the shutter and moving parts)

Also, the D3100 has no real weather or dust proofing - The happy couple still want photos even if it is raining, and a light shower could see a D3100 off after an hour or so in the damp, and weddings on a sandy beach with a bit of breeze....

Even when they have the pro kit, all serious Pro's have a backup camera, a selection of lenses, batteries, SD cards etc as they simply cannot afford the bad rep of holding their hand up at a wedding and saying "Sorry, camera's broken..... Can we do this another day when I got it fixed??"

So basically, you could go to a wedding as a guest, or professional's assistant, and get some good quality shots that the couple may well like and buy.... But rely on it for your income? Nope... it would be like using a pickup truck for a removals business!

portcityamps

New D3100 owner. Please help. Poor video quality.

Hello everyone. I recently bought a new Nikon D3100. I am very happy with the still photos however the video is disappointing. My settings are:

Quality: Fine
WB: Auto
ISO: 1600
Focus: Manual
ADL: Off
APT: F10
I am using a tripod along with a basic lighting kit.

Please help me with any suggestions. I have researched this subject on this forum along with other and I see that this is a common issue. Sadly the suggestions posted are not helping me. Thanks!

Here is a video showing my poor results:

DSC0052 - YouTube

WeeHector

I've been using my D3100 for nearly 2 months now and I can honestly say it amazes me every time I pick it up. I make lots of mistakes about settings and am presently on about 1 great photo for every 100 I take. Not saying the other 99 are rubbish, just lacking the something special which turns a good photo into a great one. It is so refreshing to be able to snap away without worrying about card size or battery life.

Living in a tiny village in which I also work has meant that I have had to look for subjects to photograph but there is no shortage of wildlife.

The camera itself is remarkable. Easy to use out of the box, as everything is automatic but, despite the seeming complexity of the numerous buttons, manipulations are soon mastered. The much decried 18-55 kit lens has fulfilled everything I have asked of it and has gone far beyond my wildest dreams.

To anyone who is hesitating about this "entry-level" camera, I would say "Go for it". It takes photography out of the realm of "I was there and I've got a photo to prove it" and into a world of photos you have dreamt about in magazines.

I've been using my D3100 for nearly 2 months now and I can honestly say it amazes me every time I pick it up. I make lots of mistakes about settings and am presently on about 1 great photo for every 100 I take. Not saying the other 99 are rubbish, just lacking the something special which turns a good photo into a great one. It is so refreshing to be able to snap away without worrying about card size or battery life.

Living in a tiny village in which I also work has meant that I have had to look for subjects to photograph but there is no shortage of wildlife.

The camera itself is remarkable. Easy to use out of the box, as everything is automatic but, despite the seeming complexity of the numerous buttons, manipulations are soon mastered. The much decried 18-55 kit lens has fulfilled everything I have asked of it and has gone far beyond my wildest dreams.

To anyone who is hesitating about this "entry-level" camera, I would say "Go for it". It takes photography out of the realm of "I was there and I've got a photo to prove it" and into a world of photos you have dreamt about in magazines.

One thing that you can do to raise the level from 1 in 100 is to work on your Post Processing Skills. When I got my D3100 I thought it was pretty good to but most of the shots lacked something. Since that time my skills have gotten better but recently I upgraded to PhotoShop CS6 and have been actively been working on learning more about post processing. I have gone back and reworked some of those old shots from the 99% group only to find that some of those are better than I thought. Even if you can't afford the time or money to learn PhotoShop the program that came with your camera ViewNX2 can do a lot to help your photos. Just open the program and look under the section labeled Adjustments. There are tons of things there that can really improve your shot. I generally do at a minimum, Sharpening, Adjust the brightness, bump up the contrast, the shadow section can really help bring out the darker areas and give them some detail. Anyway you get the idea. Play with them all but always save it under a different name or folder so you always have the original to fall back on.
Have fun.

ladytonya

Just got my D3100 last Friday at Best Buy. It came with the two basic kit lenses and I am curious if I should just play around with these or try to get a 35mm. I take a lot of pics of ball games, landscapes, clouds, and sunsets. So far I have gotten some decent shots with the 55 - 200 but I haven't used the other one yet at all. Is the shorter one the lens I will need for indoor pictures, family snapshots, pictures of church services, stuff like that? Or in order to capture those indoor events will I need the 35mm lens? I am a total newb but definitely willing to learn! So far, I am loving this kit! Can't wait to get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and get some mountain shots. This is a fun new toy!

SFC

I have the Nikon D3100 and I like it, although this is my second Digital camera. I have the Nikon Coolpix P100 as so as it came out, however it is in no comparison to the D3100. The one promise I have always made to myself since my first Nikon FM2 in 1970 only and the only lenses that were available were by Nikon. Today I still buy lenses by Nikon.

SFC

Just got my D3100 last Friday at Best Buy. It came with the two basic kit lenses and I am curious if I should just play around with these or try to get a 35mm. I take a lot of pics of ball games, landscapes, clouds, and sunsets. So far I have gotten some decent shots with the 55 - 200 but I haven't used the other one yet at all. Is the shorter one the lens I will need for indoor pictures, family snapshots, pictures of church services, stuff like that? Or in order to capture those indoor events will I need the 35mm lens? I am a total newb but definitely willing to learn! So far, I am loving this kit! Can't wait to get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and get some mountain shots. This is a fun new toy!

You really do not need to buy a 35 mm lens if the other lens is 18 mm - 55 mm then you already have the 35 mm in the lens. I personally like portraits using a 50 mm lens, which would be in the 18- 55 mm lens. Did you check with Amazon for a price on that same camera? I have found that Amazon has some great prices on Nikon Lenses; In fact, I just purchased a 70 - 300 mm for $159.00. I hope that the next couple of months I will be able to get 80 - 400 mm at $1600.00, however I have priced used lenses as low as $800.00 with a two-year contract with Nikon if there are any problems.

Bill16

I'm really enjoying my D3100 too. I bought some lenses that need manual focus, and I'm getting a kick out of my 105mm prime right now. I am buying a 300mm sigma prime manual focus too, to go with my 50mm and 105mm primes that are both manual focus lenses.
If you don't mind using manual focus and settings they are a great way to get great lenses pretty cheap. :D