New D3100 owners

aleeeshuh

I got mine back in April of 2011 as a very kind and generous gift, but I just recently started messing around with it. I can't put it down, which is why I'm up 1:45 in the morning. I training myself to do away with auto and go pedal to metal in manual :) Excited to soak up all the info everyone has to offer. Get ready for some epitome of amateur questions lol

Just-Clayton

remember too that you can use older nikon lenses with limitations to the camera. some people i know had older nikon cameras and they gave me their lenses. i now have 5 manual lenses. i use them quite a bit. just ask older friends if they have older nikon cameras, or tell them what you have. it worked for me. here is a picture done with 40 yr old 50mm/f1.4 lense.

Attachments

• DSC_0105 (534x800).jpg
    DSC_0105 (534x800).jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 560

JohnFrench

Hi! Hopefully I am not too late, just ordered it through amazon! hope i made a good choice since i didn't get the T2i...

You made a great choice, the D3100 is a camera that is easy to use right out of the box, and one you can learn as much about all the other settings available as you want. Congratulations on your new Nikon.

OnyxBunny

I'll be getting my D3100 at the end of next month(if my money doesn't mess up) & am VERY excited about it!!! It'll be my very 1st DSLR camera, for some reason I have NEVER liked point n shoot camera's, I guess I just like Professional stuff better =)
But I'd love to hear some tips if you have any important ones & I'm also wanting to Model, so any tips for Posing?? And also what is a good cheap Tripod I can buy, I'm only a College student.

Rick M

As soon as you get it turn off the "active D lighting feature". It is rarely needed and tends to wash out all your shots. As far as tripods, the sturdier the better.

Mary Dixon

Shoot in RAW and use Adobe Lightroom 3 to process. You will LOVE the outcome and will NEVER look back again! Scott Kelby (the Adobe Software guru) has a book out called The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 book for Digital Photographers. It is also a must have!

Mjaydakid

Hi guys. I am expecting my D3100 in a week. I have been lurking here for a while, soaking up as much knowledge as I could so I could jump off running with my new "toy". I am an old film user from back when... I remember my refrigerator being filled with different iso canisters of film. I even dabbled a bit in the dark room. I am looking forward to dabbling on my computer. Until I get my "toy", I will be looking over your shoulders and learning as much as I can. After it comes, I will become more involved photographically. Can't wait. :D

futon

Newbie as well, the lovely wife got me mine for Xmas, very excited to learn all about it. I started on a point and shoot with manual controls to learn about PASM without getting into big cost, and felt ready to move up. Can't wait to learn and add to the camera as I learn more!

JournoJen

I have had my D3100 for about six months now, and love it. It's a great camera. I have the 18-55 lens kit that came with the camera, but am ready to move on to the next lens. Could you help me decide which to go for please? I mainly shoot landscapes, but do also shoot food and people for work purposes. If, for example, I wanted to shoot the moon in all its glory, what lens would be best? I have been looking at the 55-200, the 55-300 and the 70-300. What would be best? If you go for the 70-300, is that 15 (from a 55 to a 70) a great loss? Also, I have been advised to look at Sigma instead of Nikon. Are they just as good? Thanks.

RiDdLe

Hello from Argentina!

I'm a new user (5 days ago) of this beauty D3100 (with the base kit 18-55mm) and I'm pretty happy with it!
Also I'm new in photography so learning about everything :)

KWJams

Well I made the plunge into the deep end.
Just bought a D3100 USA model with the magnesium body. (no kit lens) with a 5 hour battery, charger, 2gig high speed card and a 5 year warranty for $599.00 :eek:

My D5000 is a great camera but the ISO sensitivity 100-3200, expandable to ISO 12800 equivalent​ was of the D3100 was irresistible.

Have to go tell my wife what I just did --- wish me luck. :)

AC016

Huh?? Something is wrong here... a D3100 does not have a magnesium body - USA model? I guess you would not buy the Euro model, right? lol:). In todays line-up of Nikon DSLR's, the use of magnesium alloy bodies only starts with the D7000 and even that is only a partial magnesium alloy body. 5 hour battery charger?? Nikon chargers only take about 1.5 - 2 hours to charge their regular batteries. 2gb card?? I'm sorry, i am just really confused by everything you have just posted. Enjoy your new Nikon anyhow:confused:

KWJams

The sales dude asked me why I was looking at the 5100 instead of the 3100 and told him low light yada yada. He said that the d5100 body they had for $289.00 ?? was the import model not the USA model and has composite frame but he could make me a better deal with a D3100. The only major difference was the meagpixels. I may have misunderstood him on the body material. http://www.digitaldepotonline.com/products.asp?dept_id=&product_id=3128

It is a 5 hour battery, (comma) with a charger. :)

I'm getting nervous now thinking I should of stayed with the D5100 I was shopping for. :(

Rick M

Return it and get the D5100 if you still can. There are no US/import models of anything. They are all the same, the only difference is the warranty. Neither body is composite. The D5100 is better in low light and has more features like auto-bracketing. That sales guy is a total ASS!

Last edited: