New D3100 owners

JMont87

I've had my D3100 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it! I'm amazed at the quality an entry level DSLR can produce. Some sample pics I've taken below. It's also my first camera. Nikon3 020.JPGCashLand.JPGNikon2 019.JPG
Photos taken with the 18-55mm NIKKOR VR kit lens.

Last edited:

Guy

Hi guys, new joiner from England saying hello! I bought my first DSLR last year, a D5100, and absolutely love it.

Not sure if the 3100 has the same option but first thing you should do (if you're a JPG shooter like me) is go into the menu and change the colour model from 'Neutral' to 'Standard'. I was initially dissappointed with my camera until I changed this setting - the pic's all looked dead and dull. They now look great :).

Vaughany

Hi All, another Englishman here. I bought my D3100 a couple of weeks ago after finally persuading myself I could afford it (I couldn't but hey ho). I'm really enjoying learning how to use a camera more complicated than my old point + clicker and think I am getting some passable images. And a lot less of them are bright white or pure black....

In order to try and improve my photos along with reading several blogs/forums I have also started doing a 365 Photo a Day blog here: lifeinzoom.wordpress.com as the more practise the better!

Anyway, you guys all seem extremely knowledgeable so I am looking forward to learning from you.

Cheers

Vaughany

Travanian

Hi, Iv just bought a D3100. Love it. Im very new to photography. Iv found that sometimes it seems that the camera is in slow motion to take a picture ????? I press the button i hear a click then a second later i hear another click. Are my settings wrong ? Is the camera faulty ? Or am i just doing something plain stupid ? Pls help if you can.

Steve

Travanian

Hi guys, new joiner from England saying hello! I bought my first DSLR last year, a D5100, and absolutely love it.

Not sure if the 3100 has the same option but first thing you should do (if you're a JPG shooter like me) is go into the menu and change the colour model from 'Neutral' to 'Standard'. I was initially dissappointed with my camera until I changed this setting - the pic's all looked dead and dull. They now look great :).

Hi i have a D3100. Can you pls talk me through the menu to change from Neutral to Standard ? Or its equivalent. I cant seem to find the option. I know you have a D5100 and it may be different. Dont worry if you don't know.

Thank You

Steve

sailtastic

Hi, Iv just bought a D3100. Love it. Im very new to photography. Iv found that sometimes it seems that the camera is in slow motion to take a picture ????? I press the button i hear a click then a second later i hear another click. Are my settings wrong ? Is the camera faulty ? Or am i just doing something plain stupid ? Pls help if you can.

Steve

Sounds like your going for a long exposure. What settings were you using when you noticed this happening?

Caila3

How should I set my Nikon D3100 for outdoor christmas lights?

I just got a Nikon D3100. I am new to photography. Over the weekend I am going to go downtown and take some photos of the Christmas lights at night. What do you think I should set my settings as?

Maxie

It's a terrific little camera, enjoy!

Rick, I was just looking, watching, your slide show. OMG, amazing photography. I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything like that before. WoW! speechless.

Not to take away from others here, but that was great. How in the world did you find places like that to shoot?

Last edited:

Alecaldi

Hi there:

New user.

Introduced to photography as a hobby with a Sony DSC-F828 3-4 years ago. Bought the D3100 this weekend and
coupled it with a 70-300 lens which has no VR, nor motor (more to the point, this one: AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G de Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G de Nikon).

As far as much as I've tested it (a day or so), it doesn't seem to be a problem, but you could tell me better if I'm really losing something.

Next interest for me is polarizers. I've found on the manual that the 3100 only works with C-PL ones. I would also add, for protection purposes, an UV filter for both lenses.

I have one, among some ND filters (not very good quality, but they do work and costed me as much as $8 each then) for the DSC-F828 lens (67mm, IIRC), but found that in neither the kit lens nor the Nikkor 70-300 they fit.

So... which wide and, if posisible, specific filters, polarizers you recommend as fit and able for this set?

Also, D3100 doesn't support HDR, ins't it? Is there a way to emule it manually?

PS: Maybe is just to specific, but I'm not sure about opening a thred for such an specific question. If you feel more convinently, I'll copy it to a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sailtastic

D3100 doesn't have an hdr mode, but you can create an hdr image manually by setting your camera on a tripod, then taking the same shot 3 or more times with different exposures. Make sure one of the shots is at optimum exposure and go +/- from there.

Alecaldi

D3100 doesn't have an hdr mode, but you can create an hdr image manually by setting your camera on a tripod, then taking the same shot 3 or more times with different exposures. Make sure one of the shots is at optimum exposure and go +/- from there.

Yes, thought so.

Not an easy task, anyway, but I have 1000 things to do before frustrating myself with HDR nuisances.

Thanks.

jimbro

Newbie to this site and the D3100
Bought it last year and haven't had much time to get out and about with it but that's changing this year

§am

What does PS mean?

Depends on the context in which it was written.

PS: Post script
PS: Photoshop

In the modern age of digital communications and word processing, the use of "PS" in communication is rather mute though.
Post script was primarily intended for hand written letters etc, where an after thought to the main body could be added to the bottom of the document, hence post script (or as it was previously known post scribe). This also leads to the notions of PPS, PPPS and so on (though anyone who needed to write so many post script notes would probably have been better to start a new document!!)

Now go back to my statement of "PS" being defunct in modern electronic communication.
Any PS thoughts can easily be appended into previously written text as you can easily adjust paragraphs etc without destroying the neatness of your initial document.
Already submitted a comment to say a forum like this... not an issue, just edit the post to include it.

Alecaldi

Should I have known in advance that a Post Scriptum would have had such a confusion I wound't used the resort.

In fact, I read the thread and I never imagined it was intended for me.

Nowadays PSs ar not necesari any more, but sometimes are still used to set a frame of mind of a comentary as an afterthought of something written. In fact, it's being replaced with the "EDIT:".

It's just that.

D3100 owner

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the new 18-300mm DX lens is worth the money. I want a lens that will do everything I want and this seems to fit the bill. However, has there been a compromise in quality in order to get such a range??? :confused:

§am

Re: D3100 owner

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the new 18-300mm DX lens is worth the money. I want a lens that will do everything I want and this seems to fit the bill. However, has there been a compromise in quality in order to get such a range??? :confused:

Not so much in quality of the product itself, but if you read around there are always some compromises in the image qulaity with such all-in-ones.
The wider end might not be as sharp as say the 18-55mm can produce, or the longer end might not be as sharp as the 70-300mm (these are just examples not real world tests), so you would have to see where it 'falters' a little, and whether this matters to you or not.
Using the examples above, you might only say use the 275-300mm range once in a while, and if the image quality is a little less sharp then say you would get with a dedicated 70-300mm lens, you might not care so much as its rare you would be taking pictures that zoomed in.
However, say most of your pictures were in the 18-35mm range, and the lens did a terrible job compared to the 18-55mm lens, then yes you would be very concerned.

Taking all that into consideration... you would also need to consider, "would I notice any difference?"