New D3100 owners

AC016

The sales dude asked me why I was looking at the 5100 instead of the 3100 and told him low light yada yada. He said that the d5100 body they had for $289.00 ?? was the import model not the USA model and has composite frame but he could make me a better deal with a D3100. The only major difference was the meagpixels. I may have misunderstood him on the body material. http://www.digitaldepotonline.com/products.asp?dept_id=&product_id=3128

It is a 5 hour battery, (comma) with a charger. :)

I'm getting nervous now thinking I should of stayed with the D5100 I was shopping for. :(

You are way better off with the D5100. Nikon D5100 vs D3100 - Our Analysis
5 hour battery? Your battery better last more than 5 hours guy. I looked at their website and there are just some things written on there that seem dodgy. i don't even think Nikon themselves make any so called "high powered" batteries. Go and buy the D5100 and then run, real fast! Is there no other store you can go to? Sorry, i am just looking out for your best interest. All Nikons are pretty much made in the same place. Both my D80 and D5100 are both made in Thailand. So yeah, i guess you can call them "imports". Beyond that, whether you are in the USA, India, Timbuktu or Hong Kong, you are getting the same camera body as anyone else is. Of course, there are certain settings, like the HZ and language and time zone that you can change depending on what country you are in. But Nikon would not make one body for one region and another for yet another region. It would not make any business sense at all! It would mean they would have two differently tooled production lines for the same product... that would be just silly. Please find another store or just buy from Amazon or something.

Rick M

Get your money back and shop elsewhere. That place is selling below Nikon prices which means it's at best used and they do not appear to be disclosing that. Something is up, you cannot get a D5100 body anywhere for $279!!!!

KWJams

That was my thoughts as well. Where can you get a legitimate NEW body for close to 50% less than anywhere else.

Red flags everywhere.

They closed for the day before I could cancel but left them a message. My intentions are to cancel the whole order and just go to Best Buy on the other end of town and buy a D5100 so I can leave the store with it.

Rick M

That was my thoughts as well. Where can you get a legitimate NEW body for close to 50% less than anywhere else.

Red flags everywhere.

They closed for the day before I could cancel but left them a message. My intentions are to cancel the whole order and just go to Best Buy on the other end of town and buy a D5100 so I can leave the store with it.

Good move!

baza30

Hi,
Thought id introduce myself rather than lurking in the back ground as i normally do on forums. Well what can i say i finally got my upgrade to a full dslr last week so just playing around with settings.
In the last year ive rediscovered my love for photography with its sucesses and my annoying failures due to not paying attension. My chosen feilds are a little more varied, i like the wildlife shooting as well as homely pictures of my dogs which will appear more and more in my gallery. But my love is a form of motorsport called drifting. Some maybe aware of this some will not.
I went to a event last april and been enjoying taking photo's ever since. starting out nicking the wife's point and shoot which coped well for what they were, to the two fujifilm bridge camera's the last one being the s4080, a brilliant solid bridge camera. So now the fun begins with the d3100 and seeing what results i get at the next event this comming weekend.

KWJams

Can't recall if I updated this in another thread or not, but I did change the transaction with them and got the D5100 instead (body only) and it cost an additional $75.00

I sweated bullets until the day it arrived and until the battery was charged and I actually took some pictures with it. It is a legitimate camera body with Nikon papers and I ended up paying about as much as I would have at the local Best Buy store where it would have come with a kit lens..... Lesson learned and thankfully not burnt too bad.

KWJams

It is black and identical to ones I've seen at local stores.

Altogether, the e-store lived up to their claims and if I was a better shopper the deal would have been seamless.

I expected the worst like a completely stripped down body with no manual, lens cap, strap or all the included items that would come in the box. The only thing missing was there was no shoe cover and the box wasn't the typical Nikon gold & black box.

It is black and identical to ones I've seen at local stores.

Altogether, the e-store lived up to their claims and if I was a better shopper the deal would have been seamless.

I expected the worst like a completely stripped down body with no manual, lens cap, strap or all the included items that would come in the box.
OK! Both the USA and Gray market bodies are identical, BUT ... (theres always a but, isn't there) When you buy a USA body it means you can get warrenty work done at Nikon USA. Where as when you buy a gray market body, you are not able to get warranty work done at Nikon USA. But you have to send the camera back to whomever you bought it from to get any warranty work done and most likely they will send it off overseas to get the warranty work done. (which takes a long time)

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

Had mine just over a month.. Wanna upgrade already lol...

My wife has other idea's...

Time for the smooth talker.. hahaha

Rachel87

Hi.

I am new here (obviously) and I have had my D3100 for about a month now. I absolutely love this camera! Most of my photos so far have been shot in AUTO mode but I jumped feet first into a fireworks shoot completely in manual just days after buying my camera and though I did get a lot of bad shots, I also got a couple of good shots so I am very happy that I did it.

I am here for tips and advice from time to time. Most of my photos are of my children and they can be so hard to capture in the moment but I am hoping as I learn to use the manual settings on my camera, that it will get easier to get nice, clear photos of them.

At the moment I have the camera body & the AF-S Nikkor DX 18-55mm lens so if there are any must haves for a beginner I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!

Hi.

I am new here (obviously) and I have had my D3100 for about a month now. I absolutely love this camera! Most of my photos so far have been shot in AUTO mode but I jumped feet first into a fireworks shoot completely in manual just days after buying my camera and though I did get a lot of bad shots, I also got a couple of good shots so I am very happy that I did it.

I am here for tips and advice from time to time. Most of my photos are of my children and they can be so hard to capture in the moment but I am hoping as I learn to use the manual settings on my camera, that it will get easier to get nice, clear photos of them.

At the moment I have the camera body & the AF-S Nikkor DX 18-55mm lens so if there are any must haves for a beginner I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
To start with;
#1- Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
#2 - Bryan Peterson's Understanding Composition Field Guide: How to See and Photograph Images with Impact

TheoR

Hi guys, had my Nikon D3100 for just over a year now and it's a smashing camera.

After using the 18-55mm for a year I have decided I want to purchase a new lens, preferably a 55-200mm.

Quick question about the different versions of the lens. Is it important to have the VR version over the normal version? Is there much difference for the extra price?

Cheers.

sailtastic

Evening all,

Just to say I have recently purchased a D3100. Really enjoying being able to take pics of my family in Aperture priority, beats point and shoot pics. Also managed to get some action shots the other week of sailing in Cardiff Bay.

Paul