My Nikon D810 Shots

Phillydog1958

@Phillydog1958

Reviewing your lens kit, I notice that you have the 24-70mm f2.8 (trinity lens), yet you have the 16-35mm f4 & 70-200mm f4 lenses.

At the moment, I am following a chosen route of the f4 lenses, but have a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that I should get the trinity instead. As you have a selection of both ranges, can I ask how you feel about the 24-70 f2.8 against the 16-35mm f4 & 70-200mm f4?

The 24-70 is my favorite lens. It's sharp, durable and a great walk-around lens. The 16-35 gives me the extra-wide view, which comes in handy, sometimes. The 70-200 f/4 is also a good lens. I've included sample shots taken with the 16-35, 70-200 f/4 and the 70-300 Nikon. I can't speak on the 70-200 f2/8. I've never used it. I like my f/4 lenses, but if I had a choice, I'd go with the faster lens.

Deleted

The 24-70 is my favorite lens. It's sharp, durable and a great walk-around lens. The 16-35 gives me the extra-wide view, which comes in handy, sometimes. The 70-200 f/4 is also a good lens. I've included sample shots taken with the 16-35, 70-200 f/4 and the 70-300 Nikon. I can't speak on the 70-200 f2/8. I've never used it. I like my f/4 lenses, but if I had a choice, I'd go with the faster lens.

Thanks for your reply

I wondered if the f4 lenses came first or the f2.8? From your answer I assume that if you had the budget, you'd go for the trinity (adding the 14-24 f2.8 & 70-200 f2.8)? Or do you feel that the weight of the f2.8 lenses are an issue?

Phillydog1958

Yes, I bought my F/4 lenses first and later added the 24-70mm, 2.8. From my brief experience with the D810, I'd think that any lens placed on it, will over perform. I attempted to display that notion with my posting of the 70-300mm versus the 24-70mm shots of the mill. With the exclusion of the circular polarizer, there are not a lot of differences between the shots with the 2 lenses. I didn't have a CP on the 70-300mm. You can see that the sky isn't as blue and there is more glare on the water. I do think that the 24-70mm is a little sharper.

eal1

DId you process from RAW files, or are these JPEGs. Also, did the file size give you any difficulty or is it easy to handle the large files? WOndering because i handled the 810 and it is the most comfortable camera i have ever held.

Phillydog1958

DId you process from RAW files, or are these JPEGs. Also, did the file size give you any difficulty or is it easy to handle the large files? WOndering because i handled the 810 and it is the most comfortable camera i have ever held.

I always shoot RAW, and I save ALL of my files to a WD 1TB portable drive, anyway. I'm in total agreement with you. The "so-called" issues with the larger files is nonexistent.

Phillydog1958

Yes I am. I have 6 F1 Discus, my wife keeps Orandas & also breeds Betta.Splendens. My avatar is one of my Discus called Ruby, a female F1 super-red.

Cool. I tend to keep oddball species . . . Like gar, tire track eel, Knife fish, etc . . . I even had an arowana. He got too big.

alfiolora007

Hi everyone, Would like to hear your thoughts. I want to upgrade to either the D800 or go for the D810. I am an advanced amateur photographer. Do you guys think it pays to fork out the difference to get the 810 . Is there really THAAATTTTT much difference to pay that extra cash ?

Phillydog1958

Hi everyone, Would like to hear your thoughts. I want to upgrade to either the D800 or go for the D810. I am an advanced amateur photographer. Do you guys think it pays to fork out the difference to get the 810 . Is there really THAAATTTTT much difference to pay that extra cash ?

The D810 is a great camera, but I'm not sure I can recommend a current D800 owner upgrading to a D810. I've not shot with a D800, but in my opinion, it's not a big enough difference to justify the upgrade. If I owned a D800, I'd await the D820 or whatever Nikon decides to call the next model.

I think I misunderstood the question . . . Sorry! If you're upgrading and you're debating the D800 or D810, I'd get the D810. I thought you were inquiring about upgrading from a D800 to D810.

Last edited:

Deleted

The D810 is a great camera, but I'm not sure I can recommend a current D800 owner upgrading to a D810. I've not shot with a D800, but in my opinion, it's not a big enough difference to justify the upgrade. If I owned a D800, I'd await the D820 or whatever Nikon decides to call the next model.

I don't think that the poster was saying he had a D800. He was asking whether he should upgrade from the D7100 to either the D800 or D810.

@alfiolora007
Between the 2 cameras, the only advantage for the D800 is that it will be cheaper. The D810 builds on both the D800 & D800e to give an almost faultless camera. However going for a 36mp FX is determined by the types of shots that you want to take & what improvements you expect to see over the D7100. Have you considered the D750?

wornish

I have enjoyed using a D800 for two years and it is superb. Sold it on eBay last week for a good price, they hold their value well like most Nikon stuff

But....I have given in and just gone for a D810.
It arrives next week (I hope).

Just look at the specs it's a major step forward in many ways and yes it's worth the difference. IMHO. Your criteriia might be different

Phillydog1958

Attachments

• Trainyard.jpg
    Trainyard.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Trainyardbirds.jpg
    Trainyardbirds.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 258
  • Treessun.jpg
    Treessun.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Treessun2.jpg