My Favourite D800 Images

Photowyzard

stmv,

All of the images BEFORE this post were done with my Nikon Nikkor 300mm f4 lens and my Nikon TC EII 1.4 teleconverter on my D800. Most if not all are hand held.

The images below were shot with my Nikon 400mm f3.5 lens on the D800, but on a tripod.

Beautiful Cardinal

Cardinal3.jpg

Lovely Dove

Dove.jpg

Fantastic and fun to watch Woodpecker

Woodpecker2.jpg

stmv

ah,, I have the 300 F4,, but not the TC III 1.4,, I tried some old TC and they work fine, but of course it becomes a manual lens then. I have th TC 1.4 on my list, but it will be a while.

Photowyzard

My advice, get the Nikon TC. The 1.4 is amazing glass. You can not tell the difference when you put it on and it turns your lens in to a 420mm f5.6. One sunny days, the lens sings. You will definitely not be disappointed.

This below is a Common Redpoll, again, taken with the Nikon 400mm.

Common-Redpoll-Male.jpg

and a Black Capped Chickadee

BC-Chickadee2.jpg

Kevin H

My advice, get the Nikon TC. The 1.4 is amazing glass. You can not tell the difference when you put it on and it turns your lens in to a 420mm f5.6. One sunny days, the lens sings. You will definitely not be disappointed.

This below is a Common Redpoll, again, taken with the Nikon 400mm.

View attachment 24603

and a Black Capped Chickadee

View attachment 24604

Nice shots but the first is a house finch
003.jpg

house finch

071.jpg

Red Poll

Photowyzard

Every once in a while, the photography subject gods grant me a moment to savour my camera, my hobby and my love of nature.....

A Red Tailed Hawk in all its Glory!

RTH-Perch.jpg

Nikon D800
Nikon 400mm f3.5
Nikon 2x Teleconverter
1/800s
f 4
ISO 200
Manual
Tripod Mounted

This image filled my viewfinder and is a 9% crop.

Rod,

Thank you for pointing that out. I never would have guess!! Much appreciated.

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I think I will use this folder as an ongoing chronicle of my favourite D800 images that, in my opinion, highlight the best features of the D800. Feel free to comment, if you wish.

Below, a Red Tailed Hawk that just finished eating a seagull, as best as I could tell from the remains. Shot with a Nikon 300mm + Nikon 1.4 TCEII, hand held, Manual, ISO 200.

Funny, I just saw one fly over my head. The other day I saw probably the same one trying to carry off something, but dropped it. Some kind of medium sized rodent! hah

Great pics!

Photowyzard

Thank you, John, greatly appreciated.

The RTH is a great bird to photograph. They are predictable in some ways in that they have areas they like to hunt in and seem to rotate them. When I see one in the morning driving into the office, always know they will be in certain sports during the day and sure enough, they do not disappoint. A very interesting bird. I love taking pictures of them.

Last edited:

Photowyzard

Nice photos.

Thank you, Charles, greatly appreciated. Here are a couple more. I was lucky enough to get a window of opportunity with the bad weather we are having and finally got a little bit of sunlight here and there on the weekend.

These are all taken with:

Nikon D800
Nikon 400mm f3.5 Ai-S
Tripod Mount
Camera set to manual

Beautiful male Cardinal, whose colours simply popped in the grey, overcast light.

Cardinal-3.jpg

Black Capped Chickadee

Chickadee.jpg

Starling

Starling-1.jpg

Wood Pecker

Wood-Pecker-1.jpg

Common House Finch

Common-House-Finch-3.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thank you, Charles, greatly appreciated. Here are a couple more. I was lucky enough to get a window of opportunity with the bad weather we are having and finally got a little bit of sunlight here and there on the weekend.

These are all taken with:

Nikon D800
Nikon 400mm f3.5 Ai-S
Tripod Mount
Camera set to manual

Beautiful male Cardinal, whose colours simply popped in the grey, overcast light.

View attachment 25156

Black Capped Chickadee

View attachment 25157

Starling

View attachment 25159

Wood Pecker

View attachment 25160

Common House Finch

View attachment 25158

Really nice, all of them. You might start thinking about changing your copyright signature to 2013 though… :)

Photowyzard

Really nice, all of them. You might start thinking about changing your copyright signature to 2013 though… :)

Thanks for reminding me. I have been meaning to do it and keep forgetting when I actually do the PP on the photos to make them ready to post. I am going to do it right now, since it is fresh in my head.

Thanks, Marcel!!!

{edited/updated - DONE! ;) }

Last edited:

Photowyzard

Still WINGED but not feathered....

I was in Niagara Falls, Ontario this past weekend and one of my favourite places to stop is the Butterfly Conservatory. A few images for you to enjoy.

These are all taken with my:

Nikon D800
Nikon 105mm f2.8
Nikon SB-910 flash

all with:
- no left focus issues
- the camera did not damage any of my lenses
- and the view screen on the back has no green tint
- I had no firmware issues
- the mirror did not lock up
- I have no oil spill on my sensor
- as far as I can tell, the radiation level from the light meter has not made me infertile yet
- and I don't schill for C@non

If you see something technically wrong with the images below or something is broken, assume it is all my fault.

Enjoy! ;)

Butterfly-1.jpg

Butterfly-13.jpg

Butterfly-3.jpg

Butterfly-12.jpg

Last edited: