Mike D90's Project 365 2014

Mike D90

Day #2

Pet Portrait "Molly"

Molly.jpg

BackdoorArts

Mike, just curious, what software are you using in post again? The Eagle shot is lovely, but it would be great if you could tweeze a little more detail out from under the wing. If I remember correctly I think you are using LR 3.6 or 4, both of which should have a shadow adjustment slider that should enable you to pull out some of that detail. Fine photo otherwise.

Mike D90

Mike, just curious, what software are you using in post again? The Eagle shot is lovely, but it would be great if you could tweeze a little more detail out from under the wing. If I remember correctly I think you are using LR 3.6 or 4, both of which should have a shadow adjustment slider that should enable you to pull out some of that detail. Fine photo otherwise.

You are correct that I have LR 3.6. I have been in a Private Message with Dramtastic about just this issue. I also noticed the shadows were heavy under the wing and no detail. I tried every way I could to gt it better but I think, due to the huge amount of crop, bringing out more detail made it washed out and grainy. I really just was not close enough to get this shot in great detail. If I had posted the original you would surely agree about the crop. He saw me coming and took off in the other direction and I just happened to get four or five shots all of which were tossed but this one.

Brian thinks maybe changing it to B/W would be a better solution.

Mike D90

Molly is obviously a keen poser :D ,like the look in the eyes

Actually she was difficult. That was teh fifth or sixth attempt to get her to stay. She wanted to jump up and come towards me. I was desperate for a photo for the day as I was at work and couldn't get out. It was raining outside and damp and dreary. And cold.

It's the what's that thing look!!

I don't much think she took to the camera. She gave me that "evil eye".

Mike D90

Day #3

Man, it was cold this morning!! Had a great sunny day though even with numb fingers.

I have a ton of Osprey shots but the Bald Eagle, even though he showed up, did not turn out as I hoped. He was just too far away.

Osprey 5.jpg

Osprey 2.jpg

American Bald Eagle 7.jpg

Mike D90

Day #4

Stuck at work again today. came home and saw Miss Kitty sitting in the garage window. I happen to catch a big yawn. Must be a tough life being a cat.

Miss Kitty BW.jpg

Whiskeyman

Day #3 I have a ton of Osprey shots but the Bald Eagle, even though he showed up, did not turn out as I hoped. He was just too far away.

View attachment 65197

MikeD90,

If you have enough light, use a polarizing filter on your lens to darken the sky (given the proper orientation of the sun and lens).

In addition, try manual exposure mode, using either a gray card or green grass for exposure. Once you get a good idea of what the exposure should be, it won't change much unless the light changes significantly. Manually setting your exposure really help in some situations.

Interesting that the eagle is a banded bird. I'm under the impression that means the bird has likely been rehabbed from injury or rescued from a poor situation previously. It has definitely had very close contact with humans at some point in its life.

WM

Last edited:

Mike D90

Interesting that the eagle is a banded bird. I'm under the impression that means the bird has likely been rehabbed from injury or rescued from a poor situation previously. It has definitely had very close contact with humans at some point in its life.

WM

Will get a polarizer and try it. I don't have any as I changed all my lenses and all were a different filter size than I had previously.

I also noticed the Eagle was banded. I am not sure why. Maybe it is a tracking thing as well. We have lots of Bald Eagles here so I think maybe the band might be part of a marking/tracking program. However, we also have a bird rehab facility and it may very well have been through there at some point.

Mike D90

Are you talking about Saint Francis wildlife sanctuary? I've thought about a trip over there some time.

WM

That is the one! They take injured birds and try to rehabilitate them. I have never been there myself. Let me know if you go and I might be able to join ya if you want company.

Whiskeyman

That is the one! They take injured birds and try to rehabilitate them. I have never been there myself. Let me know if you go and I might be able to join ya if you want company.

Will do. I just spent a week outside Orlando, and had planned to visit the Audubon Bird sanctuary in Maitland, but they were closed on the days I cloud have visited them.

WM

Mike D90

Day #5

Tried to get some portraits of a few of the cats at work today. None were cooperative but I did get this image and figured I could work with it.

I am not sure which I like best. All are using the same photo with different treatments and some smudging on that one image.

This is Lucy. She is a sweet long hair tabby. Grey with some white on her chest.

Lucy 1.jpg

Lucy 2.jpg

Lucy 3.jpg

Lucy 4.jpg