Jake's (Backdoorhippie) HDR Shots

BackdoorArts

That Train Don't Leave Here Any More...

8583183959_cab07d1fd0_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

It's been quite some time since I stuck something in here. I was going through my catalog looking for a photo when I spotted this and forgot I'd even taken it. It's 2 shot HDR taken with the camera sitting on the table at a favorite little spot in Easton, PA called Black & Blue. A little overcooked in an HDR way, but I kinda like it.

10054033493_8fe628d115_o.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
NICE!!! :) Overcooked? When a steak is overcooked, they refer to it as WELL-DONE!!! ;)

Well-done, Jake! :D (Not overcooked, but extremely well-done!)

Quick question...I believe the D600 has a setting for HDR. Do you use it or can you simply bracket then use the HDR software without making any specific HDR settings in the camera? :confused:

BackdoorArts

I don't do in-camera HDR for a couple reasons. Primarily it's because I don't like shooting jpeg because of the limitations you have with post-processing, and that's what you get with in-camera HDR. Second, it's because I like to be able to control what's done with the image and play with just now (un)natural looking it is. I may have tried it once when I got the D600, just to see how it worked, but I've never seriously used it.

And for the record, if my steak is well done it's going back!! LOL

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't do in-camera HDR for a couple reasons. Primarily it's because I don't like shooting jpeg because of the limitations you have with post-processing, and that's what you get with in-camera HDR. Second, it's because I like to be able to control what's done with the image and play with just now (un)natural looking it is. I may have tried it once when I got the D600, just to see how it worked, but I've never seriously used it.

And for the record, if my steak is well done it's going back!! LOL

Thanks for letting me know! ;) I wondered about this and *thought* the in-camera HDR was only available as a jpeg, and since you prefer shooting RAW, I wasn't sure what you did. One more quick question...do you usually bracket in 1-stop exposures or something else? Just wondering how 0.7 stop bracketing might work (if it is even an option)? Obviously I haven't bracketed before!

BackdoorArts

It all depends on the subject and whether I'm on a tripod or handheld. The more severe the lighting the more I'll bracket in each direction. With the D600 I will usually got +/-2 stops on a handheld, three exposure series. If the lighting is fairly even I may drop to +/-1. I look at the histograms of the over and underexposed images to see whether or not I got all the detail I want. If I'm on a tripod I'll always shoot in 1 stop increments, bracketing manually, starting with darkest until the histogram essentially shows no blacks at all.

BackdoorArts

Had a much needed day off out shooting with my brother. After one planned stop we decided to just see what there was to shoot. Our last stop was this little place up near the Water Gap which got explored thoroughly. Here's an interior and exterior, with the real photographer posing for the poser.

10355062936_3c352f3d6c_o.jpg

(D600 w/ Rokinon 8mm DX crop fisheye)

10355061914_59fe89ac6a_o.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I like how you used the fish eye on the stairs. It makes them even more creepy since they don't have a banister! So what does your brother shoot with? (I can definitely see the resemblance). :)

BackdoorArts

He's a dyed in the wool Canon guy. Their Pro department has run circles around Nikon for a while and given that his paper provides him with Canon gear it makes sense that he shoots it as well. He chastised me when I chose Nikon and got the D7000, if only because we couldn't share gear, but he's he first to admit that there are things he sees in the Nikon gear that he wishes Canon would offer. He's also quick to say that Nikon has dropped the ball time and again recently with the quality control thing, and he's right.

As for the resemblance, we're both quick to point out which of us is "the better looking one". :)

BackdoorArts

You're too kind. Funny, but since I've been using the D600 and D800 I almost never shoot HDR anymore because of the dynamic range. Need an excuse to do some more. LOL