Jake's (Backdoorhippie) HDR Shots

BackdoorArts

Here's some more from yesterday at the beginning of the Delaware Canal in Easton, PA. Everything from rivers (Delaware & Lehigh) to railroads converge at this spot. Been meaning to shoot here for a year or so and finally didn't have company.

8499526313_40ef11a714_o.jpg

8500632192_20e0c8d2a3_o.jpg

8500632292_44264ba4ea_o.jpg

8500632366_0b41c0de00_o.jpg

Rick M

Excellent shots Jake, the colors really stand out nice without being ovecooked. Love the Decay! I've gotta get out and look for more of this also. Lens looks nice and sharp! Did you crop much?

BackdoorArts

Excellent shots Jake, the colors really stand out nice without being ovecooked. Love the Decay! I've gotta get out and look for more of this also. Lens looks nice and sharp! Did you crop much?

I'm in the sticks, but there's a lot of places like this around. I was surprised by just how many when I started looking for them.

As for cropping, the horizontals are completely uncropped. The two verticals needed slight cropping only to straighten. I have an innate inability to shoot straight with the camera held that way. Might help if I had a battery grip.

RockyNH_RIP

Superb Jake!! Great composition and colors.. Sky adds a lot to the earieness... Did you post process these with HDR or anything??
I think I like 1 the best, just barely over 3 and dont ask why!

Pat in NH

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Pat, when you say 1 & 3 I am assuming you're talking about the bridge & canal shots, right?

All of these are 3 exposure HDRs (+/-2 bracketing) merged with HDR Efex Pro 2. I then post-processed the 3 bridge HDR tiffs in Color Efex Pro 4, adding Color Contrast and Bleach Bypass filters. I thought it really brought out the age on the steel and gave an extra eerie feeling to the colors.

Here's a side-by-side of the top image, left is as it came out of HDR Efex Pro 2, right is after Color Efex Pro 4.

_D613365_HDR-before-after-2.jpg

And after this I did a few more adjustments in Lightroom until I got it where I liked it, including the crop adjustment mentioned above.

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Jake,

Thanks for the info and explanations... In fact, you are too fast for me!! I was actually referring to post 20 on the abandoned factory .. but hey, not your fault I was too slow .. :)

Impressive stuff...

Pat in NH

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Jake,

Thanks for the info and explanations... In fact, you are too fast for me!! I was actually referring to post 20 on the abandoned factory .. but hey, not your fault I was too slow .. :)

Impressive stuff...

Pat in NH

Thanks. Factory stuff is straight HDR Efex Pro 2.

BackdoorArts

A couple more from the Paper Factory...

8501980038_6588f11742_o.jpg

8500872495_894aee52e0_o.jpg

(wondering if the last would have been better cropped long and thin without so much foreground?)

RockyNH_RIP

8500872495_894aee52e0_o.jpg

(wondering if the last would have been better cropped long and thin without so much foreground?)

Don't know if it would have been better, different yes.. but your original shows depth to the far bldgs and width of the courtyard area.. I like it as is..

Pat in NH

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Thanks, Pat. It was shot through the only gap in the 10 foot fence. I tried pulling my car close enough to the fence to shoot over it, but after almost falling off the roof I decided to make due. Need to put a stepladder in some day and come back.

BackdoorArts

Last set from Fridays drive-about. These are from the Delaware Canal locks located at the "Teddy Roosevelt Recreation Area" outside Raubsville, PA. Not quite sure how the former President earned that distinction.

8501031359_fb0c31fb09_o.jpg

8502455371_86db1528f8_o.jpg

8502138604_1a57268d9e_o.jpg

Rick M

I think the foreground gives you a sense of perspective and a feel of standing there. One of the things I really like about ultra wides is it gives the viewer a sense of being in the picture instead of looking at a scene from a distance or outside. The UW brings a whole new level of creativity no other lens or process can accomplish.

Rick M

It's amazing what you can do with a cloudy day, changes the whole feel and HDR really makes the clouds dramatic! Excellent shots and processing.

BackdoorArts

Thanks, Rick. As soon as I saw the conditions outside I knew it would be an HDR type day. I just got lucky that my choice of subjects matched the mood of the day.