Jake's (Backdoorhippie) HDR Shots

Rick M

Thanks, Rick. As soon as I saw the conditions outside I knew it would be an HDR type day. I just got lucky that my choice of subjects matched the mood of the day.

Ya, I find myself looking for clouds more than sun! Clear and sunny isn't as nice as it used to be! Nice work with the subjects and weather, they match perfectly.

BackdoorArts

I suspect some more HDR's will come from today's shooting. Here's an old homestead that I used to pass every day commuting to work (thank God I don't do that any more). I haven't had a regular daily commute in 10 years, but I've still always wanted to stop here. Today I did, with the D800. I have to tell you, there's an appreciable difference with 7-9 frame HDR's shot at .3 or .7 instead of 3 frames at +/-2.

8539606979_2a2ac1f87d_o.jpg

I suspect some more HDR's will come from today's shooting. Here's an old homestead that I used to pass every day commuting to work (thank God I don't do that any more). I haven't had a regular daily commute in 10 years, but I've still always wanted to stop here. Today I did, with the D800. I have to tell you, there's an appreciable difference with 7-9 frame HDR's shot at .3 or .7 instead of 3 frames at +/-2.

8539606979_2a2ac1f87d_o.jpg
Great shot. What I really like about it is that unless you told us it was HDR I would have not guessed it. Just looks like a perfect exposure on a perfect lighted day. Would be interested in seeing the best normal exposure of this shot side by side to really see the difference.

RockyNH_RIP

Very ncie Jake!! Does not look over cooked either, very natural! Great Job!

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

Thanks, guys. The thing about this location is it was always in the dark when I drove through - a valley with a late sunrise and early sunset. This was a good 4 hours before sunset and the sun's already going down behind the chimney. So, that said, the only reason I shot HDR was to try and get a natural look to it, so I'm glad I achieved it.

Here's another one from the same spot. I didn't even notice the PVC pipe coming in from the right while I was there. A bit of an awkward place, to be sure. Didn't want someone walking out from nowhere with a double-barrel. LOL

8539677755_1071d5906a_o.jpg

Last edited:

Rick M

I'll have to try that with the D600, although I'll have to reset the bracket exposure and toss the second "normal".

BackdoorArts

A couple from yesterday in Clinton, NJ. The old Red Mill is the most photographed landmark in NJ and among the top 10 most photographed places in the US, I am told.

8542474996_8e16ea2202_o.jpg

8541933726_dd59f5a50f_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

Thanks, Pat. Shots were taken about 2 1/2 hours apart. Top was when it was snowing and the sky was rather undefined. The bottom was about 90 minutes after it stopped and the sun was trying to break through.

BackdoorArts

Anyone from NJ who has ever been to the Delaware Water Gap has stopped at Johnny's. It's more a hot dog stand than diner. Hot dogs fried in peanut oil, your choice of toppings (provided you only want mustard, ketchup, onions and/or pickle), with a mug of birch beer or buttermilk. On a summer weekend they're lined up 30-40 deep, with more motorcycles than you can count.

BackdoorArts

Since it was the first day of Spring I figured I owed it to myself to get the heck out of the house, even if it was semi-miserable. I went to Merrill Creek to do some long exposure shots since the wind was blowing across the reservoir. On my hike back to the car I was treated to this. Wasn't planning on shooting HDR, but it worked out.

8577364270_9369fa1008_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

Did some poking around at an old lumber mill today. Gorgeous wood left on the inside of this Quonset Hut.

8583945696_c5f27835df_o.jpg

8583945664_e27867ba72_o.jpg

8582844827_b7b85597d2_o.jpg

...and one non-HDR thrown in for good measure...

8582844833_d783b6b5e2_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

Great HDR shots AGAIN

I like that you know when to stop processing these shots.

Thanks, Don. But what makes you think I'm not still tweezing 'em?! ;) I've learned that if I feel the need to continue to agonize over them then it's probably not worth salvaging. Shooting "stylized" HDR can be fun, but for me it's become more about salvaging tough lighting situations without using flash. Probably because I don't know squat about shooting with flash. LOL

Thanks, Don. But what makes you think I'm not still tweezing 'em?! ;) I've learned that if I feel the need to continue to agonize over them then it's probably not worth salvaging. Shooting "stylized" HDR can be fun, but for me it's become more about salvaging tough lighting situations without using flash. Probably because I don't know squat about shooting with flash. LOL

Because yours don't scream "LOOK AT ME!!!! I AM HDR!!!"