Frustrated to the brink of smashing camera :D

J-see

I actually want to find the lowest shutter speed for a given subject,so i can stop down to f8 or 9 and use the lowest possible ISO,the trouble is ime not getting long enough at one go due to the poor weather we have had for a few weeks now.

Why don't you shoot at native ISO with the D7200 and do the rest in post. It does not have any shadow improvement when upping the ISO (compared to other models) which makes it a feature only justifiable when shooting JPEG.

mikew_RIP

Why don't you shoot at native ISO with the D7200 and do the rest in post. It does not have any shadow improvement when upping the ISO (compared to other models) which makes it a feature only justifiable when shooting JPEG.

Sad to say ime happy shooting the way i do.

It's getting used to the underexposed shots, in the end it's like during the film days but instead of negatives, you have "unexposed" shots.

I understand the concept but having a modern digital camera means I can see what I get now and not have to wait till I get home and hope what I have will work. Why take a step back when there is nothing that gain. With Auto ISO set correctly with self imposed limits I can get the best quality for the conditions I am shooting in right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-see

I understand the concept but having a modern digital camera means I can see what I get now and not have to wait till I get home and hope what I have will work. Why take a step back when there is nothing that gain. With Auto ISO set correctly with self imposed limits I can get the best quality for the conditions I am shooting in right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is gain which is the reason to use it. You keep your full DR, don't blow any highlights and can then in post adjust it all to your liking. It's a bit more work but in the end, even that becomes a habit. And it's only for those shots that require ISO to be bumped to gain either shutter or aperture.

The D750 and D810 however are not completely without loss, contrary to what is suggested in the article. The D7200 is.

Dawg Pics

Informative thread for me. I am glad you figured out the camera. The last shots you posted a beautiful. (I have a fondness for birds.)

ryans1230

Glad to see you got it resolved. I noticed today while I was out that there was some wandering focus when set to continuous (street photography). I'm hoping I need to just fine tune some settings to get it right (perhaps single point and not group 9).

Blacktop

Glad to see you got it resolved. I noticed today while I was out that there was some wandering focus when set to continuous (street photography). I'm hoping I need to just fine tune some settings to get it right (perhaps single point and not group 9).

I am much happier with my AF-C shots since I'm using single point and not any of the D-9 and D-21 settings. Having said that, I have some practice now, and are much better at tracking my subjects without much difficulty.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
My limited experience is with the D5300, but I think as far as focus goes, it can be compared. I find that using BBF & AF-C for BIF, I like 9 point, but birds in trees and similar stuff, single point works best. BIF usually are in a clear sky, so the 9 point just has to lock on the bird where in trees etc. the 9 point does too much hunting between the bird and the surrounding branches, etc. I think you just have to determine your shooting conditions and style to determine what settings will work at the time.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Let me also add that if I understand the focus point system, the camera is only using one of the 9 points for focus (or one of the 51, etc.) at a time. The camera uses the focus point within the 9 or 51 or whatever chosen number available that is closest to an area of the most contrast to focus on. That is why single point is better for subjects surrounded by "busy" stuff.

Blacktop

Let me also add that if I understand the focus point system, the camera is only using one of the 9 points for focus (or one of the 51, etc.) at a time. The camera uses the focus point within the 9 or 51 or whatever chosen number available that is closest to an area of the most contrast to focus on. That is why single point is better for subjects surrounded by "busy" stuff.
Yes, the camera can only focus on one point at a time. You are also correct with the rest of your post.

mikew_RIP

I tried the multi point for BIF and when i looked at it later the camera had missed the point i wanted more times than i do so i went back to single,multi i think could have the edge for small birds.