Frustrated to the brink of smashing camera :D

Horoscope Fish

Couple more I don't like chickadee is cropped a bit
Bluejay isn't cropped at all
The Chikadee looks like it could be just a bit sharper but I also notice your shutter speed was 1/640 while your focal length was 500mm. For a DX camera you really need to keep the shutter speed at one and half times the focal length, OR BETTER, in my experience. Doing so would have meant a minimum shutter speed of 1/750 for that shot. I think had you kept your shutter speed to 1/1000 you would have been golden.

Your Blue Jay appears quite sharp to me AND it abides by the aforementioned shutter-speed rule... Coincidence? I think not.

Kevin H

I could hand hold the D5100 and sigma down to ss 1/200 guess the extra MP makes it harder to hand hold I'm going to try on a nice sunny day if we get one

They do look better than the first ones. Of course yesterday who pops in really close The Grey Ghost a nice male Harrier

Last edited:

Blacktop

The Chikadee looks like it could be just a bit sharper but I also notice your shutter speed was 1/640 while your focal length was 500mm. For a DX camera you really need to keep the shutter speed at one and half times the focal length, OR BETTER, in my experience. Doing so would have meant a minimum shutter speed of 1/750 for that shot. I think had you kept your shutter speed to 1/1000 you would have been golden.

Your Blue Jay appears quite sharp to me AND it abides by the aforementioned shutter-speed rule... Coincidence? I think not.

I remember mentioning this a long time ago, then someone jumped on me about it and said I was full of shit.:indecisiveness: (well not in so many words, but you get what I mean)

Horoscope Fish

I remember mentioning this a long time ago, then someone jumped on me about it and said I was full of shit (well not in so many words, but you get what I mean)
Really? Wow. I thought the one-and-a-half times the focal length rule for shutter speed for DX bodies was pretty much a known quantity sort of thing...

Blacktop

Really? Wow. I thought the one-and-a-half times the focal length rule for shutter speed for DX bodies was pretty much a known quantity sort of thing...

Yes, someone said (not naming names as I'm not a 100% sure who, but I remember one of the more knowledgeable posters) that when it comes to that rule it is the same for DX and FX bodies alike.

I would look into it myself, but I'm dealing with a few hundred shots right now from my recent trip to the Okefenokee.

mikew_RIP

I know i questioned the rule :D not my nature to tell someone there full of sh1t though,well most of the time:D.

My question was if you are shooting 600mm on FX but knew you would be cropping a DX area out of it would you increase the shutter speed and why,not saying any one is right or wrong but it is a sensible question.

mikew_RIP

Just to add i am not talking pixel size or density just saying the lens is still 600mm,so would a higher shutter speed be needed on a D810 against a D750,i always try for at 1000th of a second any way.

Horoscope Fish

Yes, someone said (not naming names as I'm not a 100% sure who, but I remember one of the more knowledgeable posters) that when it comes to that rule it is the same for DX and FX bodies alike.
Heh... No need to name names, I think I have a pretty good idea. That aside, I don't mean to preach the "one and half times the focal length" as gospel and if someone wants to go to the effort to clearly disprove it, more power to 'em; I would read that post with great interest. Like you I'm a tad busy actually taking shots and working with them to do so myself but I will say "The Guideline" always seemed to work well for me so I have no problem suggesting people use it to see if it works for them.

I know i questioned the rule :D not my nature to tell someone there full of sh1t though,well most of the time:D.

My question was if you are shooting 600mm on FX but knew you would be cropping a DX area out of it would you increase the shutter speed and why,not saying any one is right or wrong but it is a sensible question.
I guess my answer to that would be no... I would NOT think it necessary to go to 1.5x times (DX guideline) when shooting an FX body, even if I knew I was going to be cropping. I don't think it would hurt, but I don't think it would be necessary. That statement is based on my understanding of this guideline we're discussing and I'm not saying I'm necessarily right. I always suggest people experiment for themselves to find out what works and what doesn't and too what degree.

mikew_RIP

Heh... No need to name names, I think I have a pretty good idea. That aside, I don't mean to preach the "one and half times the focal length" as gospel and if someone wants to go to the effort to clearly disprove it, more power to 'em; I would read that post with great interest. Like you I'm a tad busy actually taking shots and working with them to do so myself but I will say "The Guideline" always seemed to work well for me so I have no problem suggesting people use it to see if it works for them.

I guess my answer to that would be no... I would NOT think it necessary to go to 1.5x times (DX guideline) when shooting an FX body, even if I knew I was going to be cropping. I don't think it would hurt, but I don't think it would be necessary. That statement is based on my understanding of this guideline we're discussing and I'm not saying I'm necessarily right. I always suggest people experiment for themselves to find out what works and what doesn't and too what degree.

I wouldn't argue with it at all,faster shutter speeds are normaly better,its just the idea that you have to allow for a longer lens when its no longer just a cropped image,as i say i use the DX factor when ever i can on DX or FX.

Roy1961

Contributor
nice shot of the Harrier Kevin, as you say it sucks it being close on a grayish day. These and the white kite are proving hard for me to get also.

Kevin H

Took a pic of a chain link fence today Approx 45 degree angle to it

Focus was the post this is cropped

I'm thinking a little front focus????

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Your fence shot is NOT a great subject to be judging focusing... Repeating patterns can confuse the focusing system as explained in Nikon's user manuals for almost all their cameras... Careful reading of the focusing chapter can explain a lot of things.