Dave's Northern 365 Thread

Dave_W

The Dude
_DWE2738-V-2.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
Dave whats the last bird in the ospreys shots??

That is what I used to call a prairie hen but is officially called a sage grouse. You can see the details pretty well on my large monitor but once shrunk down and posted here it's not so easy to see them so here's a tighter version of the image. I caught this guy when I drove back to the Little Big Horn after reading an excellent book about the whole battle. He stood in the grass very close to me and let me fire off a bunch of shots but then decided he'd had enough and started to run. I was panning him the whole way so that when he took to the air I was able to snag a couple decent shots of him while still in panning mode. These grouse, btw, make for some amazingly good eating. It's a shame their numbers are declining to rapidly and it looks like they'll soon be on the Endangered Species list in 2015 (much to the chagrin of all the BLM farmers).

_DWE3397-PS2VSrp-3.jpg

wthorson

WOW! I'm so glad that I had some time to catch up on your thread, Your Photography is VERY wonderful.
My brother and sister-in-law live at the foot of the Teton's I was planning to visit there soon also. They have horses and know all of the BEAUTIFUL places around there.

RON_RIP

Move closer and then you could hang there more often. That is site to photograph in every season and every weather condition., every time of day.

Dave_W

The Dude
Move closer and then you could hang there more often. That is site to photograph in every season and every weather condition., every time of day.
I wish but unfortunately living any closer is not an option, at least not a legal option. This is National Forest property and the line is about 4 miles outside of town. Besides, this part of the Absorka-Beartooth range gets way too much snow in the winter. But given that it's only a 20 min drive, I can get approximately 2.5-ish of the full 4 seasons, at least I'm hoping I can. ;)

RON_RIP

There was just a special on the t.v. About a photographer who camps in the Yellowstone in the dead of winter. He brought back some awesome photos and ,luckily, was not eaten by a bear in the process. Just sayin.........

Dave_W

The Dude
There was just a special on the t.v. About a photographer who camps in the Yellowstone in the dead of winter. He brought back some awesome photos and ,luckily, was not eaten by a bear in the process. Just sayin.........

Haha! I'll have to bring it up to the wife.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk